Poll--The Weakest Link: Joni Mitchell HITS, Round 6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sab, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sab

sab Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Big Yellow Taxi" has been eliminated.

Six tracks remain. One must go.

Discussion Question:
    When did you last hear Joni Mitchell? What do you think of her now? Has your opinion changed over time?

7 Big Yellow Taxi
    8 Woodstock (Round 4)
    9 Chelsea Morning (Round 4)
    10 Carey (Round 3)
    11 Urge For Going (Round 3)
    12 You Turn Me On I'm A Radio (Round 2)
    13 Raised On Robbery (Round 2)
    14 Come In From The Cold (Round 1)
    15 Chinese Cafe/Unchained Melody (Round 1)

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Help Me"

I listened to "Court and Spark" and "Ladies of the Canyon" last week. I still don't have her entire catalog, so I think there's more for me to discover still before I join the Choir Invisible.

3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

California.

I have never heard Joni in the flesh. I was listening yesterday to Chalk Mark In a Rainstorm.
    Yes my opinion has changed over time. I used to think she was the most consistently good musician around, but her early 80s output disappointed me. She seemed to lose her way at this time, like many other artists did in that era. She redeemed herself somewhat with subsequent albums.

4. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

The Circle Game.

I listened to Joni yesterday. I have been running the Joni Mitchell song by song threads since last summer. I listen to the next song every morning. After I post in this thread, I will be headed over there to do today's song. We are currently exploring Taming the Tiger, if anyone is interested in joining. Joni is one of my top five favorite artists. I own everything she has ever produced and I adore her.

5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

River
    Though I'm mostly voting to save Circle Game and Both Sides Now

DQ: Listened to Circle Game on YouTube this past weekend. I appreciate Joni Mitchell more as I get older.

linclink likes this.
  6. I've been riding "The Circle Game" since round 1

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I am loathe to vote any of these out and sorry to see Carey is no longer there.

I picked Free Man In Paris but it is great anyhow!

8. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Choices getting tougher but I’d give “Help Me” the ax.

First heard her 50 years ago. Loved her then, love her now.

9. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Both Sides Now

DQ: I watched a couple of YouTube videos last week. I also played Hejira recently. I don’t listen to her music a lot, but when I do I always think that I should listen to it more often. Still beautiful and daring. :)

10. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Free Man In Paris

I was playing Hejira last week. I have always liked the music, I'm getting brave enough to own all of her music.

11. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

California.

While compiling my 1972 compilation I had to pick a song off For the Roses so this was last week.

She’s still the greatest lyricist of the golden age of rock. A poet and don’t she know it.

12. stefane

stefane Forum Resident

"River" needs to go.

Last time I heard Joni Mitchell was roughly 3 weeks ago when I put her 1979 album "Mingus" on the deck.
    "God Must Be a Boogie Man" from that album is one of my fave Joni Mitchell tracks.

I think my appreciation for Joni Mitchell is growing as I get older.
    Just recently discovered Joni Mitchell's live performances on the Oscar Brand show "Let's Sing Out", recorded in Canada in 1965 and 1966.
    This performance is sending shivers down my spine. Watch her perform John Phillips' "Me and My Uncle" and "Urge for Going". Absolute beauty!

No Blue Skies likes this.
  13. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

Jeez - getting tough now. For me it was either California or Help Me and I went Help Me because out of the two left from C&S I find the arrangement on Free Man more compelling.

DQ: Last song I really listened to was Refuge of the Road from Travelogue last week. I think I’ve grown to appreciate her willingness to experiment and her tenacity in following her muse (as well as her skill as a visual artist). David Crosby always says she’s the best of her cohort and I agree.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Voting "The Circle Game" again.

I listened to some Joni for this game, I had to brush up on "Chinese Café" and "Come In From The Cold", as I don't have the albums those are from. The latter especially is really great, but I still had to join in voting two those off in the first round, they are kind of odd birds on this compilation. Looking at the line up of this and Misses it would have made more sense to instead make an "early" and "late" compilation, moving those two and replacing them here with "The Arrangement", "A Case of You" and "For the Rose".

MicSmith likes this.
  15. "River" for same reason...

DQ?: Love & appreciate her more & more and more than ever.

16. sab

I last listened to Joni a few weeks ago, partially in preparation for this game.

17. sab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.