Poll--The Weakest Link: Squeeze ARGYBARGY, Round 7

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

"Separate Beds" got kicked out with the drugs and the spuds. 3 songs left, 1 more must go. Vote your next weakest link.

Discussion question: Have you seen Squeeze live, and if so, how many Argybargy songs have you seen?

Her mother didn't like me...........................

Separate Beds (Round 6)
    Misadventure (Round 5)
    I Think I'm Go Go (Round 4)
    There At The Top (Round 3)
    Farfisa Beat (Round 2)
    Vicky Verky (Round 2)
    Here Comes That Feeling (Round 1)
    Wrong Side Of The Moon (Round 1)

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've seen Squeeze 5 or 6 times from 1985 to date. Sure I heard the well-known songs over that span but not sure how many overall...

3. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Pulling Mussels.

Saw them once.......1982 at Rider College in Lawrenceville, NJ. Flock of Seagulls opened up. Can't remember how many they played from this album

4. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

Oh man, I cant believe Nail is potentially going down? I know Mussels may be a "better" song because of its short-story lyrics, but Nail is my favorite from this album.

I saw Squeeze on their reunion tour in 2007 or so. Fountains of Wayne opened. At the Beacon. It was awesome. They played half of Argy I'm sure. Just wall-to-wall great songs. And I was fortunate enough to be in London for work a couple years ago and got to see them in their homeland on the Crade To The Grave tour, which was especially fun because that album hadn't been released in the U.S. yet so all the material was new to me at the show. And that album is really strong!

I've seen Glenn solo in a small club as well. Just a fantastic singer and guitar player. Such a showman.

5. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

"If I Didn't Love You" goes this time.

DQ: No, never saw Squeeze or any portion thereof.

JcS

6. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I'm out.
    I refuse to vote against one of those songs.
    I can't do it.

:shrug:

Martin K and Mr. D like this.
  7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

If I Didn't Love You

I've seen Squeeze 4 or 5 times...and Glenn Tilbrook another 4 or 5 times. Not sure how many of those songs I've actually seen them play live -- it's all lost in the mire of official live albums, bootlegs, YouTube videos, and all that. Probably seen three or four of them. "Another Nail" and "Pulling Mussels" for sure. I want to say they were doing "I Think I'm Go Go" last time I saw them (about 8 years ago?).

8. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I've seen Squeeze (in various lineups) four times since 1981. Have seen a good many Argybargy tracks performed live.

9. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I didn't notice this thread until just now. I am surprised that Vicky Verky went out on round 2 - a hidden gem of their catalogue IMHO. All three songs remaining are all great ... I relluctatnly bumped "If I Didn't Love You".

I have seen them 3 times - once shortly after "Sweets" and then a few times over the last decade with the reconstituted lineup. Can't remember what songs from these albums were played (other than the "hits").

10. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I saw Squeeze once in 1985. I got to hang out with them in their Holiday Inn hotel room after the show. (Andy Metcalfe was nice enough to take us along on that occasion.)

Bob Lamonta likes this.
  11. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Pulling Mussels has to go, unfortunately.
    I've seen Squeeze at least a dozen times, including the ArgyBargy tour, so I'm sure I've seen them do most of the songs from the album.

12. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

How did I miss this. One of my favorite albums.

13. LandHorses

I only saw Squeeze twice in 2010 in a sort of odd double bill with Cheap Trick. (The only things they have in common is that they’re rock groups and I like both of them).

The only Argybargy songs they played were the 3 songs still up in this game. The double encore bring the 1st 2 songs.

(Might need to run a Cheap Trick album sometime in the new year)

Joey Self likes this.
  14. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yep.

If I Didn't Love You would be my 3rd favourite of the remaining songs.

DQ:

Yeah, I've seen them 4 times over the years (twice in the 80's, once in the 90's and once in the 00's). and other than being certain they've done Mussels and Nail each time, pretty sure I've heard Separate Beds, Go-Go and Misadventure live.

15. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Wow, that's a great double bill, imo.

16. County50

County50 Forum Resident

I saw Squeeze twice, the first time around 2008 or 2009, I thought they were great, second time was the Cheap Trick double bill mentioned earlier, they were just ok, not a big cheap trick fan but they were great live.

I love the last 3 songs, I had to pick one so I went with the second song on side one.

17. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I saw Squeeze when they played Boston's Avalon to support Some Fantastic Place, maybe in 1994. IIRC, they played Mussels (I remember it as the opener, though I could be wrong) and maybe Nail.

:wave:

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think they have more in common than that. Both started around the same time and both play melodic rock with a heaping of Beatles influence!

Mr. D likes this.
  19. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Saw them open for EC on ESS tour in LA. Can’t remember too much of setlist. When they put the band back together a few years ago, saw them then but nothing but the hits from it.

20. Station17

Station17 Time to play B-sides...

3 amazing songs...I love the line “singles remind me of kisses, albums remind me of plans” from If I Didn’t Love You...One of my favorite bands.

21. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Much to my hesitation...."Nail".

DQ: Yes, saw them on the "Babylon and on" tour...I think they played "Mussels"...don't remember. Then saw Difford/Tillbrook tour, again I'm sure they played a few from Argy Bargy.

22. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

If I Didn't Love You

23. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

If I Didn't Love You.

Just leaves clear vinyl versus red vinyl!

24. Martin K

Martin K Active Member

Agreed. I refuse to vote down any one of the best songs anyone ever did. The poll should stop here!

25. LandHorses

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.