Poll-- The Weakest Link: The Small Faces OGDEN'S NUT GONE FLAKE, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Love Side 2.

I see Side 2 as a sort of modern-day nursery rhyme. I interpret the callouts to various nursery rhyme/lullaby characters at the end of Happydaystoytown as a sort of clue to the listener as to how the story they’ve just heard should be viewed and understood.

In that context, the fanciful nature of the story and songs makes sense, and not everything need be taken literally or interpreted for hidden meanings.

And I think that’s also why Stanley Unwin’s story telling is essential to the whole. If you just have the songs, some of that nursery rhyme nature gets lost.

So I don't know if I necessarily see this as a "Concept" piece in the same way as Tommy, etc. I think it's kinda unique that way.

Mark

OobuJoobu and YardByrd like this.
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

4. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Blimey it's tough. I know all about making tough choices though, as one my kids is ginger.

It would have to be: Long Agos And Worlds Apart & Happiness Stan. Long Agos is my least favourite of Mac's songs of the era. It's not bad or anything, just not great and not as good as Wooden Hills, Growing Closer, or even Looking Out The Window. Happiness Stan is little more than scene-setting.

I wouldn't want to have to choose any more to lose though, that was hard enough!

EDIT: Those poll results are surprising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.