Poll - THE WEAKEST LINK - Tim Buckley’s “Goodbye and Hello” ROUND 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover Thread Starter

Hello everyone! I’m starting my own weakest link thread about Tim Buckley’s amazing album from 1967, “Goodbye and Hello”.

To me, this is Tim’s magnum opus and I think it will be difficult to vote off songs on this one. I hope people join in and have fun!

This album is only 10 tracks long, so we’ll just vote for one track to be eliminated per round.

So choose the track you want to eliminate and let’s get started!

[​IMG]

Question: Is this your favorite Tim record? Why or why not?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. RedRoseSpeedway

I voted off Knight-Errant, as the style of the song doesn’t suite me as well as the others. It’s still a good track and this record is nearly flawless.

And I do think this is Tim’s best album, it’s not too avant-garde or moody, and it’s got some great lyrics and overall superb songs. I like all the different ideas and sounds he employed on this record, and I think it’s the album where he made his best musical statement. It may also be his most commercial record, if you want to put it that way. Love the album cover too.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Knight Errant.

Probably, it’s certainly his most solid record of you ask me. I am a fan of his jazzy era and to a lesser extent the avant garde stuff. The less said about his sex funk period the better.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  4. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Goodbye and Hello. It's just too overblown - even for Tim. Probably better back in the day, but now is just overwrought.

Plus Knight Errant has that gorgeous melody... I can't vote it off yet!!

And although I adore Tim, this isn't my fave. That would be Blue Afternoon or Starsailor.

Cheers,
    Paul

5. RedRoseSpeedway

I like Blue Afternoon a lot! At the moment I’m not as into his two experimental albums. So Lorca and Starsailor are my least favorites

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Lorca is one I keep circling back to. Not quite as experimental as Starsailor - not quite as jazz folk-y as Blue Afternoon. It's like a weird midpoint album. Sometimes I love it - sometimes I hate it. Seems to me that that's the mark of great art, really.

Also - fun note - at least two songs on the second side of Lorca - and possibly all three - are live cuts from the 1969 Troubadour gigs with the drums mixed out to match the lineup on the first side. I detailed some of my detective work here: Tim Buckley Venice Mating Call / Greetings From West Hollywood (LA Troubadour)

Cheers,
    Paul

Zoot Marimba and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  7. RedRoseSpeedway

I had no idea side 2 was live. Wow! Thank you

8. RedRoseSpeedway

Knight-Errant currently has the most votes

9. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

10. RedRoseSpeedway

I didn’t know about any rules...where can I find those?

Also, If we’re going by that, I started mine first, cause I started mine 6/18 and you started that one 6/19.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Check with @LandHorses

12. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

This was my favorite album when I was eight years old (in 1967).
    And I still love it.

Eventually I taught my band from high school to play
    “Phantasmagoria In Two” and “Knight Errant”.

I voted off “I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain”.

13. RedRoseSpeedway

I just messaged him to find out what it’s all about, thanks.

14. RedRoseSpeedway

Knight-Errant gets the boot!

Also, due to unforeseen circumstances, I’ll be postponing this game, and round 2, until the other Weakest Link game is over. It should only be a few days, so I’ll cya guys then!

15. Well I would have voted but this closed far too early.

16. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

But.. but... I don't want to vote on Phil Collins!!!

Guess I'll be waiting for this one to restart.

Cheers,
    Paul

17. RedRoseSpeedway

I’m sorry! Apparently the people who started to do these games have their own “rules” they go by, and I don’t want to cause any issues so I’ve just agreed to wait until their game is done. Stick around for when this one comes back though!

18. RedRoseSpeedway

So I set it for one day, I thought that’s how long the poll usually stays open. Should I do two days next time?

19. RedRoseSpeedway

I thought these threads were something anyone can do. I mean they are, but I’ll respect the wishes of the people who started them first.

But I don’t know why you’re being so aggressive. The rules you’re talking about aren’t posted anywhere, and are in a way an inside secret, and I’ve never seen them mentioned, so how was I supposed to know? There’s no need to be so mad, all I did was point out when I created mine. People make mistakes, it’ll be ok.

zobalob and Sear like this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Great album.

My favourite Tim Buckley albums.

Dream Letter - magnificent live album
    Greetings From LA - i don't really care what anyone says, the music on here is fantastic. The vocals are great. The lyrics don't bother me one way or the other.
    Goodbye and Hello - another great album. The production is a little awkward, but it doesnt bother me

21. RedRoseSpeedway

Stick around for when we continue!

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Considering the amount of threads on similar subjects I don't see any reason that this type of thread cant be running with various releases. As far as I know there are no rules here regarding one at a time for these polls.

zobalob and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  23. RedRoseSpeedway

I know, and the rudeness has put me off a bit and made me want to continue in spite of what they say. I just don’t really wanna cause an issue ya know? There are no official rules, just “common courtesy” apparently. I mean most people here seem to be ok with the one at a time thing, but it’s kind of a bummer.

24. Hollow Horse

Who asked youFFS? Jog on Sear - you're added to my ignore list - anyone else?

No idea how that came across as 'rude' in any case- for me I'd say that was straight and to the point.

25. Hollow Horse

Gorts do not like these types of tournaments cluttering up Music Corner, that's why. We have a group who do WL with dedicated members who put a lot of time and effort in.

If it was the other way around and I'd just weighed in when it wasn't my turn, how do you think that would sit with the OP? Think on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.