*Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hollow Horse, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy Thread Starter

Previously...

*Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R1

So three of my favourites already binned en masse :shake:

In the end, a late vote for Cockpit tied it with Guns and I had to decide which to ditch.

As much as I love Melt The Guns and while there is dislike for Down In The Cockpit, I sided with the latter for R2.

Eliminate two more from this round if you will.

DISCUSSION QUESTION

Jason And The Argonauts: Which is your favourite version - ES or Transistor Blast?

2. Hollow Horse

3. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Jason And The Cockpit
    DQ: on ES, any alternate version would likely be my fave (never liked the production / mix), so : Transistor Blast

4. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Fly and Cockpit to go.
    DQ: I was not aware of this set! However, having heard it, I still lean towards the ES version.

5. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Fly and Cockpit -- no question. After that, I'll have to start thinking harder about this.

Jimbino likes this.
  6. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

For this I vote, once again, for "English Roundabout" and "Yacht Dance," the only two songs I dislike on this album.

Can't believe "Leisure" and "Melt the Guns" already got the axe - those are great songs!

Discussion question: Um, I had no idea there were two versions of "Jason." :hide: However, I do love that song A LOT.

Hollow Horse likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Fly
    Knuckle

8. Hollow Horse

:righton: Tell me about it! Unberleeeevable.
    Yes, the BBC Radio Sessions version, just has something more about it than the English Settlement one. Always liked it more and if a few did not know of its being, at least I have brought something different to the table.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  9. Hollow Horse

This is the first time All Of A Sudden has had the negative nod.

I see why it has love. Dark horse. For the win?

mr. steak likes this.
  10. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

whenever this album is discussed most XTC fans seem to regard Fly and Cockpit as filler.....they're genuinely two of my favourites on the album!

Hollow Horse likes this.
  11. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Fly and Runaways. Two less than stellar Colin songs. Always hated that this superb album opened with such a dull tune. Ball and Chain is monotonous as well. But Andy's songs from the rest of side one to the end of side two might be my favorites of his on any album. Wow.

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I used to have the single album US version of English Settlement and I have to say that they did a good job of editing and resequencing the material. Virtually all of the tracks that they removed were the weakest ones and it made for a nice compact listen, where the double album feels a bit flabby at times. I've grown to enjoy some of the additional material over the years, though the political topicality of some of the songs hasn't aged that well in every case. Though well intentioned, it felt like Andy was straining a bit to come across as an enlightened modern man.

I picked "Fly on the Wall" and "Knuckle Down" here.

13. Pavol Stromcek

Definitely not "Fly" - I think that is an outstanding song! I'm less enamored with "Cockpit," but I think it's pretty good.

14. Hollow Horse

Agreed. I think for what overall is a pretty good studio album and one treasured by a fair few, it has the most uninspiring opening and closing tracks.

Okay, I understand that many dislike Leisure but if it were the opening song, well I can't think of a better one.

Snowman to me is like... zzzzzz....

15. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Cockpit and Knuckle Down
    DQ: ES version is preferred.

16. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

due to this album being located in my DNA due to countless listening sessions, i am unable to vote. Its like a Swindon Sophie's Choice.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  17. Pavol Stromcek

I have to admit, I'm not too keen on "Runaways." As soon as "Yacht Dance" and "English Roundabout" are out of the running, I may take aim at "Runaways." I don't think it's bad, per se, just that it sounds merely like an introduction, something to set a mood, rather than a fully fleshed-out composition.

18. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Cockpit & fly on the wall

19. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Knuckle Down & Yacht Dance.

DQ: Never heard that version before. Not bad live rendition but I'll stick to the original.

20. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

Runaways - Personally I find this a really dull opener

Knuckle Down.

21. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It's still easy: Down in the Cockpit and Knuckle Down. Next round will be the first to hurt.

I think I prefer the sweep and detail of the album version of 'Jason and the Argonauts'. As a song, it's kind of a clunky assemblage of bit and pieces for me, but some of those bits and pieces are so, so good, and the band navigates all those twists and turns with amazing panache. Terry Chambers is a drastically underrated drummer.

22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Fly and Cockpit for me

DQ: I adore the Transiator Blast version. One of the best things in a set laden with gems.

Hollow Horse likes this.
  23. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

Knuckle Down In The Cockpit

Hollow Horse likes this.
  24. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

I'm with you. I listened to this album on a train trip through Europe years ago and it just makes me smile whenever I hear a single note. My favourite album of all time. Not saying it's perfect, but my memories of it are perfect. If that makes sense. :)

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  25. Pavol Stromcek

Surprised "Knuckle Down" is getting so many votes. The lyrics are a bit preachy and obvious (even if the message is a good one), but I think the music is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.