*Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hollow Horse, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy Thread Starter

2. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Fly -- no question.

and... sheesh, this is hard. Snowman, I guess.

I had the original double-vinyl, the first Virgin CD release that did not have all the songs on it (for some silly reason) and the current CD release. Looking forward to (if they ever discover the tapes) for the inevitable Steve Wilson remaster box set!

MoonPool likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Fly
    Ball and chain

It starts getting very hard from here

I have the cd, i am waiting impatiently for them to find the multitracks and 5.1 it

4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The Weakest song? Is that what this is about? I'd have to go with All of a Sudden or Runaway, and only 'weak' in context of not being as strong as others but would still blow away most songs. You also left off a bunch of songs, but I wouldn't have voted for any of them as weakest. Nearly Africa, Down in the Cockpit, Melt the Guns are all winners. Fly and Snowman are great too.

5. Hollow Horse

You are obviously new to this. If you click on the links to R1 and R2 then you will understand how this works - absolutely nothing has been missed out!

6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Sorry - I should not have stuck my nose in. Carry on!

Hollow Horse likes this.
  7. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Went with Yacht Dance and Ball and Chain but we are already at the point where it is like ranking your (favourite) children.

DQ: The original Canadian vinyl release from 1982.

XTC was popular in Canada, therefore, we got the full 2LP set, not the truncated version.

Hollow Horse likes this.
  8. Hollow Horse

Yacht and Fly at the moment but Snowman is skating on thin ice - let's see what happens overnight (it's evening here in Blighty).

9. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Fly and Roundabout

Bought the CD in 1989/1990, and been enjoying it ever since. Never bought any other copies.

10. Hollow Horse

I bought the (2x)LP when it was first released.

My Mum can see the horse on the chalkhill from her house.

I love No Thigs so much I designed a t-shirt which I'll post later.

11. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

As with the last round, I voted for Jason and Yacht Dance. I'm pleased that Fly snuck through for another round!

I've owned three copies on CD:

- US version (missing Cockpit and Leisure). I sold it off a while ago, but I also remember the sound being pretty murky.
    - UK version. By the time I acquired this, I'd grown so used to the US tracklisting that I treated the two missing songs as bonus tracks, the way Virgin stuck B-sides into the middle of various XTC albums when they were released on CD.
    - 2016 remaster. By far the definitive version, and likely to remain so unless the missing multitracks pop up and Steve Wilson gets a crack at them.

12. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

This is starting to get painful. 'All of a Sudden' was first off - a really lovely song, but rather low wattage in the remaining company - and 'Jason and the Argonauts' for me, which was quite a wrench, but less of a wrench than anything else. I think it was because I find the "theremaybenogoldenfleecebuthumanrichesI'llrelease" bit kind of irritating.

13. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Really? Yacht Dance is going to leave before Snowman? This is my only objection so far...

14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

They're both great, in my opinion. 'Yacht Dance' has a gorgeous melody and arrangement, and is different from everything else on the album. Great 'breather' track. And 'Snowman' is fantastic, a song only XTC would come up with, with a weird mix of moods (Beach Boy sleigh bells, growling vocals) and one of Partridge's best lyrics: "People will always be tempted to wipe their feet / On anything with 'welcome' written on it."

15. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Once again, I'm voting for "Yacht Dance" and "English Roundabout," the only two genuine clunkers on the album, IMHO, until both are gone.

Sad to see "Fly" getting so many votes - that is an awesome tune!

Discussion question: I have the UK LP and US CD.

16. shakti

shakti Senior Member

I only have the 2001 CD, and like the rest of you, I can't wait for a Steve Wilson remix/remaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.