POLL: What is your favourite live Genesis album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SlimLee, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident Thread Starter

During the series of Genesis studio album elimination polls, run by @Rfreeman over the past few weeks, I had the idea to find out what the SHF's favourite LIVE Genesis album is.

So feel free to cast your vote, and be sure to let us know your choice in the discussion below. I'm pretty new to the band's live albums myself, so I'm curious to see how this goes. Happy voting!

2. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Seconds Out!

3. "Genesis Live"

Honorable Mention: "Seconds Out"

danielbravo likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"3 Sides". That's the Genesis period I like best...

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Seconds Out.........with Genesis Live coming in second. :edthumbs:

DME1061 likes this.
  6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Genesis Live.

I never liked Seconds Out as much as other fans seem to and I don't care for any of their other live stuff.

MicSmith, lightbulb and linclink like this.
  7. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Genesis Live, despite the absence of SR this is still a superb document of the band very much on the rise.

Seconds Out is an OK representation of the final 2 tours with Hackett but I much prefer hearing PG singing the songs from his era and some of the choices from 76/77 were not my favourites. And that extended version of IKWIL doesn't work - the song is about someone who is introverted and Collins chose that song to act up his part by doing his tambourine thing - too showbiz. Cinema Show is its high watermark though - just a brilliant version.

Three Sides Live - very poor album sleeve, content not really my era. Side 4 on the UK version is worth having though.

The Way We Walk - odd that they split the set into 2 releases as if they felt a need to cater for 2 halves of their audience which felt patronising then and more so today.

Archive 1 - the Rainbow stuff is great even with the overdubs on SR, The Lamb should have been left intact (or had minimal treatment to cover up any serious issues)

Live Over Europe - again represents a particular moment in the band's career. I have it but not played it in years.

8. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well it started off pretty close for the first three albums yesterday, but now it seems Three Sides has been left for a distant third! Still pretty close between Genesis Live and Seconds Out though. Perhaps unsurprisingly, not a single vote for a performance post-1982.

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I really like 3 sides.
    I like the Rainbow concert as well

please note, that doesn't mean that I don't like the others

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  10. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Genesis Live, due to a lack of good Gabriel boots

If not that, Three Sides Live.

11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Seconds Out. Too bad Wind & Wuthering is so unrepresented but other than that, I have no complaints. I never cared as much for Genesis Live because it felt sort of cut and pasted together and incomplete. I'd rather listen to bootlegs from that era. I've always really enjoyed Three Sides Live, especially the European version that has live tracks from 76-1980 on side 4 instead of the studio songs.

12. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

As a Bill Bruford fan I'd like a full Album from the 1976 tour, and I have made a rather Good 80min disc comprising the available official tracks and some good sound quality bootlegs.

13. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Seconds Out but Three Sides Live is close second.

Kiss73 and Mr.La Page like this.
  14. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Seconds Out, which also happens to be my favorite live album hands down.

15. 3 Sides Live.

mbrownp1 and mark winstanley like this.
  16. DMGuy

DMGuy Forum Resident

Seconds Out by a landslide.

NunoBento likes this.
  17. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

This sums it up for me.

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm gonna have to go out on a limb here and say "Material from 67-75 Archive" set. Even with Old Man Gabriel occasionally stepping in for an overdub, I tend to reach for this set more these days than the others listed.

I enjoy the live "Lamb". The live renditions of "Moonlit Knight", "Firth of Fifth" and "Suppers Ready" also tickle my fancy.

I wish they had released the Rainbow show in it's entirety on CD so I don't have to muck around with the DVD. Vinyl would be nice and we thirst for new Genesis product, Tony.

danielbravo and mark winstanley like this.
  19. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Seconds Out for a few tracks including Afterglow, Supper's Ready, and Cinema Show.

I haven't listened to the later albums. Not a big fan of live rock albums unless it's Zappa or Crimson.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

the amount of video and audio that they have of concerts it's almost criminal that nothing is coming out, or looks likely to.
    I really enjoyed that Live Lamb too

CybrKhatru likes this.
  21. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Seconds Out.

Wish they would release a full unedited show. Preferably from the Duke tour. And of course the full concert video with Bill in 76.

danielbravo likes this.
  22. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Seconds Out

danielbravo likes this.
  23. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

I'd vote "none of the above" and have purchased none of these even though I own everything from Trespass to the shapes album. As I do for many favorite artists, I think they were a great studio act for which live albums were a bad compromise between the beauty of their studio work and the energy of actually being at a Genesis show.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    LeBon Bush likes this.
  24. In this order:

1.Live material from the Genesis 1967-'75 box set: No I don't like Peter Gabriel's vocal overdubs, but musically it is my favourite of the lot.
    2.Seconds Out: Don't like the mix with Steve Hackett's guitar way down, but it's a solid 1977 live set with most of the tour's highlights included
    3.Genesis Live: Had they included Supper's Ready this could easily have been #1, with The Knife, The Musical Box, Watcher Of The Skies and Get Em Out By Friday it's still really good.
    4.Live Over Europe 2007: The reunion tour was their best tour since 1982 and this is a very good document.
    5.Live The Way We Walk Vol. 2 The Longs: Domino, Driving The Last Spike, Fading Lights and Home By The Sea are my favourite recent Genesis songs, the Old Medley is fun too.
    6.Three Sides Live: A weird mixed bag. Apart from One From The Vine, Duchess and Fountain Of Salmacis there's nothing here that wasn't already covered by the releases mentioned above. Hardly ever listen to this one.
    7.Live The Way We Walk Vol. 1: Without the proggy bits in between, I soon get tired of the band's pop hits. Never listen to this one.

danielbravo likes this.
  25. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

My feelings, too. A friend of mine owns the first live album from 1973 and I always thought how muddy it all sounded, Watcher of the Skies missing all of its raw energy for example.

Myself, I have Seconds Out on CD and while the sound quality on that one is much better than on the first live album, the spark still won't quite jump over. Mostly interesting for hearing Phil sing lots of Peter material. Three Sides Live and The Way We Walk both contain many songs that were clearly products of studio technology and thus couldn't really be represented in concert. Haven't heard the last two choices, so I can't comment on them. Overall, Genesis are definitely a studio band for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.