[Poll] What % of Your $$$ Should Go for Records, and What % for Your System?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Nov 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have right around 5000 Lp's in my main collection. I also have maybe 2000 - 3000 Lp's that are not in my main collection, but have some value, so I have not done anything with them. Most of those are classical and I can't really find a good way to place a value on or to sell them. My main collection already has plenty of classical music in it and I rarely listen to it. I probably have about 1000 records that get real attention and the other 4000 are there to provide depth of selection when and if I get bored with my standards or a guest requests something that I don't usually play. I find that I don't play records as much as I used to when I was younger and that I often "discover" a record in my collection that I had forgotten. That makes for a fun listen and to think that I haven't heard that one in maybe 20 years!
    -Bill

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  2. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I know I said I'm not buying any new music, but I couldn't pass this up. Great pressings from original tape issued by the original studio which recorded it. Just showed up at the office moments ago. Can't wait to drop a needle on these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Mine is about 70/30 music to gear. Almost everything I own for music - and certainly anything worth more than a couple bucks - is logged in discogs, so I'm just using their median value as my basis. Big caveat though, my preamp, amp, CD player and speakers were all bought used. Turntable, cart, phono stage, and DAC were bought new but I saved a ton on used speakers, so that changes the picture a little bit if you're buying all brand new. Would probably put it at like 55/45 music/equipment if everything was purchased brand new.

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I took it to mean he switched to digital, hence my like for his post since that is what I've done as well :)

5. robertk

robertk Forum Resident

I did a straight 50-50 from 78 -1987. $50 a week for vinyl and saved $50 for stereo gear. The discipline is hoarding that $50 until it builds up to buy a pre-amp, then a bunch for an amp & I bi-amped. And so on. Giving it time, it was do-able. I think I also benefitted a ton from that era when audio gear just seemed to skyrocket.

After that initial setup and plunge it became like 85-15 or so. tubes and cartridges and so forth were not a lot of bucks.

So, like everything else, timing seems to rear its head whenever you do things. And I had good timing. It'd be extremely difficult to pull off now and quite a few more years for the stereo accumulation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.