Poll: When did you see The Who live on stage for the first time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

My Brother's very first concert was The Who at The Westchester County Civic Center- 1969.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

August 1967, Cleveland Public Auditorium, opening for Herman's Hermits.
    And many times thereafter during the reign of Moon.

Rickchick and Bigbudukks like this.
  3. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Live8, Hyde Park, London in 2005

4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

10/13/82 Shea Stadium with The Clash and David Johansen.

footlooseman likes this.
  5. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Does he have photos!

6. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I was at that show. I was skeptical since there were so many ancillary musicians.

I'll never forget Daltrey coming out and saying, "Stevie Ray warmed you up. We're gonna put you in the ******' microwave."

They were past their prime but that was funny and I liked that Pete and Roger did an acoustic duet of "Mary Anne With the Shaky Hands."

digdug67 likes this.
  7. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Madrid Spain 2006, amazing show, mainly due to Pete having fun! He was really in fine form, and really frisky, kidding around with the front rows, playing like a demon, windmilling aplenty and even some leaping around... at age 61! I was amazed...
    Zak was awesome, as ever. Great Who drummer...

8. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I was there, too! That was one HELL of a show.

Springfield was/is a seedy little city that never seemed to get the Big Boys in concert, such as The Stones, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, etc. So when The Who came there it was a real rare treat.

Think I've seen somewhere north of 200 concerts in my day, big and small. That Who show in Springfield, with Keith Moon, tops the list. The energy they had that night was incredible. Pete was so jacked up that he even smashed an amp at the end. That was supposedly something that didn't happen anymore by 1975.....yet it did. :cool:

2141, keifspoon and Jack like this.
  9. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Heh, I was there too :)
    Went with my older bro, don't know if he still has his ticket stub, can you believe I had to eat two of them (timing was just wrong for friends in town I guess)?!

In the now defunct Astrodome with The Fabulous Thunderbirds and then Stevie Ray Vaughn opening. If I remember correctly SRV played much of "Crossfire" with the guitar behind his head and back. Also IIRC, I just don't remember them ever playing "My Generation" (and I was the cleanest kid in Houston so I wasn't impaired)!

Also, there was a very drunk/wasted guy in front of me who kept screaming "Pictures Of Lily" the whole concert. He kept bumping into the guy's chair in front of him as well and finally during "Who Are You" the guy had enough and they started fighting, so the wasted guy's friends jumped in, and then one of the mad guy's friend shook his head and said "crap" because now they had to jump in instead of enjoying the show. They all spilled into the concourse and I didn't see any of them again :eek:

And John Ent:whistle: was very loud!

Outside on the R&B stage I saw part of the O'Jays set and they were very good.

[​IMG]

10. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

He did say that at the early show I attended. To be honest, I went to see The Fudge, and they were great on that date, so I was happy he said it. Part of it was that they were new. The Who were very good too. One of the songs they played was Relax, and I liked the live version much better than the studio one.

For what it's worth, the 1970 show in Houston is one of the best I ever saw by anybody.

keifspoon likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if you saw the who after 2002 i don't think you really saw the who......you saw the daltry/townshend band.

WhoTapes1 and DockBoggs like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Not that I know of, he would have mentioned that to me. He's told me what he remembers about the show. It blew him away, this was after Woodstock yet they were still playing small venues.

13. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Do you also remember when they came back out for an encore Daltrey sang "Born On The Bayou"?! I guess he was a CCR fan :)

Spazaru likes this.
  14. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

1976 for me. Made me a Who fan for life. What a show. I've seen them 14 times to date.

15. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Unfortunately, never seen them. Circumstances never helped but after 1978 I lost all interest.

16. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Dang, there have been a lot of threads on The Who lately. Were they really that good?
    For me it was March 1976 at MSG. Moon took ill and the show was delayed a day. My redheaded girlfriend and I were about to head into Manhatten (from New Jersey) when Scott Muni from WNEW radio announced the show being cancelled. Gee, I wonder what we did instead???

footlooseman likes this.
  17. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Two shows at Wembley Arena in 1989.

18. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

1968 CNE Coliseum,Toronto.
    On the same bill: MC5 and the Troggs. Guitar, drums and microphones were destroyed.

19. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Wow! Were the Troggs good?

20. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

That was also Neil Peart's first time seeing The Who.

21. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Wow! Were the Troggs good?

22. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

In the summer of '67, I was 12 years old and my neighbor that I was friends with an older girl across the street. She somehow managed to get really great seats for a concert by Herman's Hermits. I gladly accepted the invitation because The Who and Blues Magoos were opening. I was already over Herman. But, I had the Happy Jack single by then, I'm pretty sure, and that's why I went. It was fantastic and it was the only time I saw them. At the Civic Arena in Pgh.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  23. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

The 1982 show was my first Who show too, I loved them but this show was terrible. Bad sound. Going through the motions with 2 other bands I was not interested in. All in all very forgettable. I think the Who and the Clash both broke up right after this, you could sure tell it.

24. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

What a great story! Mrs Pete and I had a great laugh, thanks for sharing. My experience was decidedly normal concert stuff.

digdug67 and footlooseman like this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

yes it's on the list...1979-1982

For me:

June 2000

My dad...twice in 1975.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.