POLL: Which other early Pink Floyd songs would you like Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets to cover?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ricky Lampoon, Sep 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Octopus, Golden Hair, Dark Globe, Baby Lemonade

The macerator likes this.
  2. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Sample it! The Who have been doing it with “Wont Get Fooled Again” and “Love Reign O’er Me” for ages....

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

someone tell me why i have no desire, nor have any excitement, to see, or for that matter hear, a nick mason tour.......

most people do understand that this is not pink floyd, right?

i must be really getting old.

4. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

I get what you're saying, but let's face it: Gilmour's vision of Pink Floyd ended in '94, Waters is forging his own path, and no one's exactly clamoring for a Nick Mason solo project, so why not get the blessings of his former bandmates, gather up a bunch of musician friends and associates, and perform a tribute to his past glories? It's certainly a step up from a tribute band, and no one – band and audience alike – is deluding themselves into believing it's Pink Floyd. It's just an excuse for Nick to play some old songs with his friends and for a bunch of people, who may not have been able to see Pink Floyd pre-Dark Side, to have a good time for a night.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i guess........if i may ask, how are ticket prices?

6. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

As much as I love Echoes, the Wright/Gilmour vocals are not this bands forte, so I stuck with mostly real early stuff.

JulesRules and Rooster_Ties like this.
  7. DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave Forum Resident

I'd love to hear their take on Main Theme or Dramatic Theme from More!

8. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Oh I have no idea, I haven't been able to see them yet.

9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I voted for Paintbox (great showcase for Mason's syncopated drumming style) and Eugene. Who's singing these? I might have picked more Barrett-era material if I knew that, like Matilda Mother.

10. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Man, they are so good. If you love preDSOTM Floyd then I would say you need to see these guys. A total blast.

11. DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave Forum Resident

I understood that as soon as he did not name his band Pink Floyd.

12. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Based on how quickly the shows sold out, not as high as they could be.

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

And thank god they are not!

this band is the real deal, tho... the only one missing out will be you, it may be a forum first here that everyone who has seen them would unanimously agree that this band is truly out of this world. Miss out at your own expense

14. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Only you can answer why you have no desire, and I think you have ~ it's not Pink Floyd. And, yeah, I think most realize this.

But Mason being one of the Floyds who co-created that music, it was a thrill for me to see him getting back to where he once belonged ~ while being treated to a nerds-only program of early Floyd songs. "Cover band" aspect aside (if that doesn't move you, and I get that), there were Mason-centric moments worth the price for me:

* initiating the beat to Interstellar Overdrive to open the show
    * the opening cascading drums into Astronomy Domine (I missed Floyd in '94)
    * Remember a Day (the drums throughout)
    * kicking in the drums on the Vegetable Man finale, coming out of the "this just ain't anywhere" bridge
    * Set the Controls (beyond classic Mason beat ~ and they stirred it to a frenzy ala '69-72)
    * the roll-ish snare run between the dual opening main themes of Atom Heart Mother (he could've easily skimped here, but he played it like live '70)
    * Syncopated Pandemonium/ A Saucerful of Secrets! Dream come true to see him play this drum "riff," back to the first time I ever watched Pompeii in high school

If that's not worth seeing for fans of early Floyd.....

I will say, Nile Song was kinda disappointing because the thundering drum fills were pretty much absent, he stayed in the pocket on that one. But to be fair, he had to pace himself to pull off a show like this. I thought it was a life-spoiling-us moment, and wouldn't have missed it. Hope they're still up for it again on the other side of the current challenges.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  15. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Personally, no on anything from Ummagumma. I like the album quite a lot, but I'm not keen on them doing what are essentially solo Waters and Gilmour songs. Best to keep those off. I've mentioned before I would love for them to tackle stuff from Zabriskie. Give some of those songs a chance to properly shine. I love that session and what came out of it. My ultimate vote would be for Embryo.

fishcane likes this.
  16. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Poor Seamus taking up the rear at the moment........

17. My top 5 choices:
    Scream Thy Last Scream -it has some great drumming and Nick sang most of the vocals!
    Main Theme -Krautrock-ish and just a great piece of music
    Matilda Mother -this one could be fun
    Paintbox -another great one
    Burning Bridges (Or Wots The Deal, can't decide)

Tristero likes this.
  18. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Of course the biggest question is will they bring back the Azimuth Co-ordinator to create a surround sound experience!

19. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Cool beat on that one, that could be cool.

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Correct.

The current iteration of Pink Floyd also never touched more than a handful of these pre-Dark Side songs live, either. So being able to hear them live by at least one member of the original band is better than a dozen supremely talented tribute bands out there.

21. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Can’t say it’s at the top of my list, but I think it would be kinda awesome if they actually performed “Seamus.” Or “Mademoiselle Nobs,” for that matter, either one!

22. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

They could sample in ‘wisps’ of Seamus barking at the very end or beginning of Echoes. PING. GRRR. PING...

Seriously, I thought this would be a covers band side project when I first heard of the tour. Was I ever wrong - love the album. Especially the guitars on Interstellar & Astronomy. Rougher, tougher Floyd. Last thing I expected

So one surprise was good this year.

JulesRules and Rooster_Ties like this.
  23. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Never going to happen but I’ll mention them anyway......

In The Beechwoods (with lyrics)
    She Was A Millionaire
    Reaction In G
    Seabirds

24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Currently listening to the studio part of Ummagumma which is not a disc I listen to often at all. Some of these tracks might be quite challenging for some people, but I wonder if the Saucers could form a piece from each of these tracks that could be performed.

JulesRules likes this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

- From the poll:

The Scarecrow
    Careful With That Axe, Eugene
    Cymbaline
    Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
    Echoes

- Not on the poll:

Cirrus Minor
    The Violent Sequence