POLL: Which other early Pink Floyd songs would you like Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets to cover?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ricky Lampoon, Sep 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I can't see this being done correctly without Gilmour, but for those who've never seen it, they should get to see it. Maybe Gilmour will go out and give in another whirl
    at some point.

this version, case and point, an excellent audience tape, and top notch Gilmour
    1973/03/14 Boston

NunoBento likes this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

They could do “have you got it yet” and just play it different at every show

3. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I would like to see a show but it will never happen.Just to see one original member of the band is enough for me.I'm a HUGE Pink Floyd from from 1975 on.I only discovered pre-DSOTM Floyd about seven years ago.

4. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought about including The Violent Sequence in the poll, but decided against it as I didn’t think too many people will have heard it.

It’s a beautiful piece of Rick’s writing that was later used as the basis of Us and Them on DSOM.

Would be a great showcase for Dom in a concert, but I’m not sure most of the audience would realise that it was from Zabriskie Point.

JulesRules, Anthrax and Rooster_Ties like this.
  5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Wrote this last night but it got eaten during the period when SHF was in a slowdown and eventually went off-line altogether.

For me, "Flaming" is at the top of the list, and the one disappointment for me of the first found of these shows was its absence from the set. This is the perfect combination of Syd's whimsical, child-like wonder approach mixed with a bit of space.

I've always wished that the middle section could go on forever, and maybe in the hands of Nick and his cohorts, it could!

Secondly, it's a shame that "See Saw," while mentioned in the OP's post, is not up for a vote. Wright's two SOS tracks have always come in for a lot of slagging, but I think they're both lovely, and I was very glad that "Remember a Day" was added in to Nick and Company's set part of the way through.

Though I can imagine that reproducing the ethereal harmonies of "See Saw" might prove challenging in concert.

6. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Would be cool for Robert Wyatt to come out of retirement for a surprise guest performance.
    Nick produced Rock Bottom for RW, appeared at Robert's Drury Lane benefit concert, and Robert was on NM's Fictitious Sports.
    Nick is has a killer drum beat goin' on here!

420JJJazz666 and Ricky Lampoon like this.
  7. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I think echoes is already a done deal so there's no point to voting for it?

8. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

I'd like to see Roger Waters drop by once again and do his hilarious Scotsman during the band's one-time-only performance of 'Several Species....' That would be something! :D

JulesRules and Ricky Lampoon like this.
  9. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Careful, Cymbaline and Echoes would be great.

Matilda Mother and Flaming would be phenomenal.

Ricky Lampoon likes this.
  10. Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas Baron Cello

another vote for - Cirrus minor

11. Ricky Lampoon

Can’t quite imagine it working, to be honest. Even though Nick has been quoted as having Miles Davis as one of his biggest influences, I don’t really see the early Floyd songs being suitable for a jazz musician like Robert.

Would be cool to hear them try it though, I agree.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  12. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

~"Chapter 24"
    ~"Echoes"
    ~"A Pillow Of Winds"
    ~"Scream Thy Last Scream"
    *~"Syd Barrett Solo Song"

*kept me from agonizing over which 5th song to vote for from my "Most Honorable Mention(s)" list!
    Too easy also because that leaves open leaving an open list of solo Syd to choose from- "Baby Lemonade", "Terrapin", "Giggolo Aunt", "Effervescing Elephant", "Dominoes", "Golden Hair", "Milky Way", "Lanky (Part One)"...

Most Honorable Mention:
    ~"Matilda Mother"
    ~"Jugband Blues"
    ~"Cymbaline"
    ~"Fat Old Sun"

Honorable Mention:
    "Careful With That Axe Eugene"
    "Embryo"
    "Paintbox"
    "Julia Dream"
    "Corporal Clegg"
    "Flaming"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  13. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Would be my top 3
    Cirrus Minor
    Careful With that Axe Eugene
    Echoes

It’s hard to imagine Careful without Roger’s scream or Echoes without David/Rick, but I wouldn’t expect this fine band to try a note for note remake, it would be fun to hear how they modify them to their strengths while also staying in tune with the spirit of the originals.

JulesRules and Ricky Lampoon like this.
  14. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Green is the Colour, If, Fat Old Sun, and Crying Song would be great for Wyatt's vocal range.

420JJJazz666 and Ricky Lampoon like this.
  15. Ricky Lampoon

Maybe all 5 band members could scream at the same time for Careful With That Axe Eugene. That would be a fun idea.

JulesRules and ShockOfDaylight like this.
  16. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

Just read the OP first post & if...

~"Candy & A Currant Bun"

... is an off-poll possibility I'd take that as my write-in vote over any Syd Barrett solo song I'd have plugged in... in fact it would be right up there with "Chapter 24", "Echoes" & "A Pillow Of Winds"- my other most favourites.

17. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I thought it was great until they returned to If instead of hitting the big AHM finale.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    JulesRules likes this.
  18. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

I love Syd songs also, but I can't see anyone else pulling off Jugband Blues.

anth67 likes this.
  19. I thought book-ending AHM with "If" was really nice actually. Worked better for me than how "Pigs on the Wing" book-ends Animals, if I'm honest.

At least live, I thought it was lovely. If it had been that way on the album, I'm not so sure I would have thought the same.

anth67, Lovecraft and Ricky Lampoon like this.
  20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

That's cool. I wanted the big stops with the power chords to lead into the finale, like the '70-'71 live versions (without the orchestra).

JulesRules, Anthrax and penguinzzz like this.
  21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

The people have spoken. Echoes, Careful With That Axe Eugene and Cymbaline should be next!

22. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

What a superb recording.

*Zod* likes this.
  23. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

"Grantchester Meadows" and "The Narrow Way, Pt. 3" were part of The Man & The Journey, so they don't really qualify as solo songs. The latter especially featured the whole band very well, as you can hear in the Dramatis/ation recordings.

Even "Sysyphus" was played live very rarely and Nick's piece is basically just a drum solo, but they'd be too obscure and challenging for a show like this.

24. BirstallBlue

BirstallBlue Forum Resident

Fat Old Sun, off my favourite Pink Floyd album, Atom Heart Mother.

25. Ricky Lampoon

Fat Old Sun is a glaring omission, in my opinion.

I can only think that it is maybe TOO iconic to play, as it was always played with such a magnificent guitar solo from Gilmour. Kind of like an early Comfortably Numb.

Woozoom939 and JulesRules like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.