Poll: Which version of Sandoval's updated Monkees book are you purchasing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Mc, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

So, the Open Edition description says it's "not limited". Does that mean you will be able to order this version in the future? The opposite of not limited is unlimited, right? The wording has me confused. Either way, that's the one I ordered.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Reservations for all versions of the book are being tabulated so Sandoval will know how many to put out of each for the first printing. The Deluxe versions will not be reprinted after the initial production run.

The Open version of the book may be available again for future printings, but perhaps not at the same price.

This was a huge project for Andrew and he wants to make certain that he’s properly compensated for all the work that he’s put into it.

3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I hope that people don't think Andrew is going to make a "ton of money" on this book. From what I have read and/or heard during the interviews about this book, he isn't even really confident that he will break even. I don't think I would want to be in a position to lose money on this if I were him, but this is his life's work and dream.

4. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member Thread Starter

I considered that option, but didn't want to invite the trolls. I figured "sticking with the 2005 edition" would be close enough for the option of those not buying this updated version.

5. Brian Mc

I'm kinda surprised at how many are buying all 3 of them! Are they for gifts or just collectors?

DiggerK likes this.
  6. Brian Mc

My impression is that 1967 is the biggest update, but also more info on the '69-'70 and pre-Monkees eras. There's also updated info as to where to find individual songs. And more photos. Whatever is covered, doubling the size is a lot!

7. Too bad, these days I read ebooks almost exclusively. Easier on my eyes and certainly a lot more portable than carrying around a 700+ page book.

8. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Super Delooxe plus a Open Edition, for me. I'd keep the fancy-shmancy one shelved with the lp's and use the soft bound to actually read and reference. Once done or, well, comfortably satiated with Monkee minutiae, I'll pass on the paperback to someone else and still have the nice reference tome to hang on to.

Just a random prediction [shakes the glass snow globe]:
    The middle book, the Deluxe will be the one everyone wants once the print run is over. The bonus photo book will be the first to be flogged separately on EPay for ridiculous opening bid amounts.
    [shakes the snow globe again]:
    We'll have snow tomorra!

NudieSuitNezHead and D-rock like this.
  9. Gifts only upon distribution of my estate!

10. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Asa big fan of the post-Tork 1969 Monkees-the more info the better on the Dolenz, Nesmith, Jones lineup!

11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Me too but I might seek out the $75 version. I don’t know. It’s a lot for a book.

audiomixer likes this.
  12. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Think of it like 10 cents a page... :D

13. Brian Mc

Also more info on the First National Band in 1970!

14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Is it only available through his website?

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

D-rock and BobT like this.
  16. audiomixer

BobT likes this.
  17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Yes. He is self publishing the book.

D-rock and audiomixer like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no e-book as they said, but you know how that goes down the road.

19. Michael

yup, I bought them they were quite pricey back then...like $600.00 for Blinds & Shutters! back in the late 80's or 90's....really?

20. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I have read the book cover to cover probably 4 times and reference it all the time, now that I am on the Steve Hoffman Music Forum. I think it is great. And although not "disappointed" in what I have purchased, the $75 version, and what Andrew Sandoval did and is doing; I truly thought the updates would be from 1970 to now and have mentioned it a few times on Monkees threads. But 1967 was really the year of the Monkees, so that will be very interesting. I wonder how many pages a 1970- present day book would be? Lots of Monkees activities in those 51 years!
    I did want to mention one other thing, the pages and binding on the 2005 book are very, very durable. I see very little wear at all considering how much I look at it especially the Songology section. So I hope the regular edition of this is up to or surpasses that standard set by Thunder Bay Press.

21. Michael

IMO, the SDE will go up in value....

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  22. audiomixer

I’m sure it will. However...

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

yes, you can always sell later...

24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

None.

audiomixer likes this.
  25. audiomixer

...or not buy it in the first place. $225 is a lot on money for a book.

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.