Poll: Which version of Sandoval's updated Monkees book are you purchasing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Mc, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I believe it was because he was contributing a lot more original songs than the others.

Keith V and D-rock like this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I recall Nesmith saying that he was the only one of the four that had an agent: Maybe that had something to do with it?

That does make sense in theory, however, since the powers that be found a ton of Nesmith's stuff to not be "commercial" enough for them, I can't see them paying him extra for contributing songs they basically found useless. Now, had he been contributing a ton of commercial songs, songs about having 'good clean fun', then I could see them boosting his pay because of that.

3. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

Nesmith really stands out in pictures. I'm surprised in how many he has his arms crossed and isn't smiling. He really seemed uncomfortable with the intensity of fame. For some reason, I always thought Peter was really uncomfortable about it yet in most pictures he's smiling. Nesmith just looks angry. It makes the pictures where he is smiling look kind of odd.

PhoffiFozz, Keith V, RobRoyF and 5 others like this.
  4. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

There is a picture of Tork's dad on p.226 and if you look at that, then at Andrew Sandolval's picture of the back inside flap, they look very similar like they could be related.

Hep Alien, Grand_Ennui, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

I took a look at that picture-I can see where you're coming from.

RobRoyF likes this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

I'm really not reading this book the way I should (that being starting at the beginning and reading until the end), rather I have just been kind of reading random bits and pieces here and there... That said, I like Eric Burdon's attitude toward The Monkees (early) records, as mentioned in a quote from him on page 235.

7. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I noticed that eons ago with their group pictures, Nez rarely smiling. Maybe he was already disenchanted with all the B.S. that comes with being in show business. Nez' unhappy facial expressions in the photos with Don Kirchner are quite telling!

PhoffiFozz and D-rock like this.
  8. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Doing the same as you, skipping all around and not reading it chronologically. I spent a lot of times just looking at photos and reading old newsprint articles. Indeed it will take months to soak all this in.

9. Instead of a song-by-song thread I foresee a page-by-page thread on the horizon.

j/k

10. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Got the book yesterday finally. Its good. Plenty of reading in it to say the least. I had hoped that, as this will probably be the defining book on the Monkees, that we'd get something on the making of the TV show. The original version of the book focused only on the Monkees as a pop group.

Alas this book is the same. We get detailed info on their guest appearances on TV shows but very little on their own show. That's a big chunk of Monkees history that's never had the appreciation it deserves.

11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Monkees experts pouring over Andrew Sandoval’s new Monkees book with a fine tooth comb.

[​IMG]

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Ah Ha! Andrew didn’t list the correct reference number to the Quad mix of ‘If I Learned To Play The Violin’. Busted, I get a cookie!

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, PhoffiFozz, Galley and 5 others like this.
  13. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Another video of a fan review of the Super Deluxe

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  14. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

...There’s a quad mix of “...Violin”? Good God...

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Found on the Monkees cd-rom. There are only several hundred copies left, so get yours while you can.

[​IMG]
    Don’t just sit there, GET GOING!!! :goodie:

P.S: :winkgrin:

16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I love his enthusiasm and his accent. Great video. Thank you!

17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I had that. Pretty cool.

FredV likes this.
  18. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

What I didn't see were the names of all of the 8 belly dancers that were in the movie Head :laugh:

jeremylr and FJFP like this.
  19. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

All versions now SOLD OUT on the Beatland Books Website....AP Owner Chad K's platitude 'Buy Now Or Cry Later'....is very apt here I think.....

jeremylr and D-rock like this.
  20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Mine came Saturday. I was gonna wait til Christmas but we decided it was just a frivolous purchase. Hey, she got a washer and dryer…. The kids have food….

RobRoyF, wayne66, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

They did screw up my order but all should be fine. They did not include the Super Deluxe (yikes!) along with a couple flexis. Luckily I kept my packaging and sent some images of the mailers they used showing it couldn't have fit in there. Hopefully it will show up this week.

PhoffiFozz, RobRoyF, wayne66 and 2 others like this.
  22. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

I received #14

23. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

The book's photos are great and there are so many! I am guessing lots of the rare photos came from the families of people associated with the show over the years. One of many highlights is seeing some photos of the various stand-ins and Valerie. And others. Just so many people to mention. Or the people from Penny Arkade with Mike.

Sandoval said in an interview about this new book how Davy came across a trash can of discarded Monkees photos and other things right after the show was over and fished them out of the trash for his own keepsakes. Davy had explained later how his feelings felt hurt that his work was simply "discarded" by Raybert. Glad Davy thought to take some of those old photos.

24. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I'm curious, what exactly are you looking for with this? (I mean this as a valid question, not a criticism)

I personally feel like it goes into the TV show a lot more than the previous book. But I do get that there is a lot of "filming on X episode probably started on X date" as opposed to specifics, which just like with some of the recording sessions, there isn't the exact info around to be able to say for sure.

There's even quite a few instances of "first draft of X episode was submitted today, but there would be revisions" type stuff in there, which I was surprised to see.

I'm enjoying the book immensely. I often hate when people look at pictures and say "wow, so and so was so unhappy, you can see it in the picture", mostly because people are usually projecting their own 'knowledge' about a situation into a picture which is only capturing a millisecond of a moment, when you don't know if a sneeze was coming or they stepped on a thorn or something! :) But I've been doing exactly that with this book and thinking that Nez looks pretty crabby in a lot of the pictures. - Which has also made me reassess what I think of the four members individually. Actually, nothing new in my mind, just a little bit more confirmed about their personalities and thinking a little bit deeper about what it all means.

I'm not a 'gossip' type of person when I'm researching and discovering information on artists I love. Some of that does play into the music and the artists' stories, but I'm more about the details and following the trail. And I love how Andrew let's the quotes from the individuals speak for themselves. He's really done an amazing job on this and I can't put it down. - It's amazing how much I already knew but yet how much I've learned since then.

25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

SDE #477

.. forgot to post

RobRoyF and apple-richard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.