Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Poll: Who did New Wave better in the 80s: USA or UK?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cryptical17, May 3, 2021.

1. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

There’s a vibrant country scene in Australia but no one should say they did it better than the US with a straight face...

2. zphage

zphage genre fluid

I'm willing to go to '82, '83 which knocks out Frankie Goes, Howard Jones, Blue Nile, etc., most of whom are just 80s UK pop.

1983 likes this.
  3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's beyond laughable...

Cryptical17 and PapaMuerte like this.
  4. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Where and when exactly? Some credit the Ramones, some say it was the New York Dolls, and some say it was the Velvet Underground. I really don't know.

That being said, I definitely think the UK wins this one, on strength and breadth alike.

5. zphage

zphage genre fluid

Not really relevant to what we are talking about, and Keith Urban, Kasey Chambers, etc., have shown Australian country crosses over.

Do you even know any of the US bands/artists? Many got US airplay and support alongside their UK peers. And who are you considering the UK new wave?

6. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Heh, I thought they were British :cool:

dheath likes this.
  7. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i once licensed a kim salmon and surrealists polydor/red eye LP for U.S. release. that was a costly lark!

does that count? probably not ;)

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

They were .... different :)

rkt88 likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

I suppose I really should buy Buisiness as usual or Cargo one day :)

10. rkt88

Ok, one more ;)

SUPERNAUT ! that's actually a pal of mine on lead ( ahem) vocals and he's proud of this. egads.

how long before i get tossed outa here? ha.

11. zphage

zphage genre fluid

a great scene:

Sunnyboys
    Stems
    Scientists
    Moffs
    Hitmen
    New Christs
    Celibate Rifles
    Lime Spiders
    Sacred Cowboys
    even your beloved Angels/Angel City rode the '79 -'84 record company largesse in the US

12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No. The New York Dolls (as well as The Ramones) were part of the Punk Rock movement, not New Wave. VERY different! Yeah, Punk was more of an American thing initially.

13. BroJB

BroJB Hey man, is that FREEDOM ROCK?

The UK for sure. The US didn't have many artists that could compete with the likes of joy division, the jam, elvis costello, buzzcocks, undertones, etc etc etc.

It was a golden era for UK rock.

14. zphage

zphage genre fluid

hence, showing the mix and confusion of what was punk, postpunk and new wave...

15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I only like good stuff. So if you're lumping Echo & The Bunnymen, Joy Division, Television, Pere Ubu, Talking Heads into New Wave then I like it. But synthy crap don't make me wanna get up and play my guitar or drum kit, so it can........well y'know........begins with F and ends with off. And I know some of those bands used synths, but it wasn't crap. Such are the vagaries of "New Wave"

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  16. zphage

zphage genre fluid

so, no depeche mode, human league, erasure, omd, etc., for u?

17. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

No. They make me feel gay. Being a wimpy bloke I gotta have some masculine edge to maintain my integrity. Seriously though, I'm a guitar player. I like guitars. They give me orgasmic spasms.

18. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

idk, it's pretty punchy & cool, almost sounds like geddy lee fronting sweet. just lacking in the melody dept.

19. rkt88

not a bad take on it. his later stuff mostly unheard on the airwaves was a bit more musically palatable - if not equally derivative.

last heard from him he had a project with glen matlock , clem burke ( revolving drummers? ) and derwood from gen x.

geezers all, by now.

Michel_LeGrisbi likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

Yea, they are all great bands ... I just figured few folks know them ...
    I love the Angels, but I figured it would be hard to call them New Wave .... but the terminology is strange to me, because so much sems to come under the banner, and I have no idea what it is supposed to mean lol
    Certainly the Angels were mistaken for a somewhat punk sounding band by many

zphage likes this.
  21. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident

I voted UK but US had their good artists too. I saw someone mentioned Berlin from the US. Their album ”Pleasure victim” is to me one of the finest New Wave examples ever. Great!

Even Village People tried this new trend! :laugh:

linklinc and mark winstanley like this.
  22. mark winstanley

I think they were a Perth band.. my hometown.
    I believe it was actually a minor hit.

rkt88 likes this.
  23. 1983

1983 Forum Resident

It depends on how "new wave" is defined considering I've seen songs as late as '91 be referred to as "new wave" in certain listicles designed for mass consumption...

I'd agree with '77/'78 as a beginning; I'd consider '83 the last year for the genre myself. It seems like the initial wave of "true" new wave was already on its way out by 1981; the rise of music videos then of course served to popularize a lot of new-wave-adjacent styles, but by 1984 what was left of the genre had just basically merged in with the rest of mainstream 80s pop.

As for the question in the poll itself, I'd say the UK did it better - tons of great bands, especially respective to the size of the country compared to the USA.

pwhytey and mark winstanley like this.
  24. Hi Lizard

Hi Lizard Forum Resident

UK in a landslide.

25. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Britain has had the majority of the best artists in New Wave and Rock in general, full stop.