Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Poll: Who did New Wave better in the 80s: USA or UK?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cryptical17, May 3, 2021.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, some great bands on each list. US just have the edge for me, I reckon.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. My favorites at the time 1979-1982 living outside Boston: The Police, XTC, Big Country, The Beat, Duran-Duran, Squeeze, The Pretenders, and The Jam countered by The B-52s, Devo and U2 (Irish, not UK). So "UK" really was an easy vote for me.

1983 and mark winstanley like this.
  3. LennyC.

LennyC. Forum Resident

UK to me. See all those names. US and Aussie are stronger than i had expexted.

all those genres we saw are now alternative and post-rock i guess. But there are more genres than that. Also the development is different in each country, i think.

4. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

This is my meat as Post-Punk Monk. I lived through he new Wave explosion. And as with Punk, the bands that kicked off New Wave were originally American, but the UK picked up and RAN with the Punk, Post-Punk, and New Wave trends [I'd say there were shades of subtlety between them, though they were related], and overwhelmed by sheer numbers as well as the ability of those styles of music to have greater success on the UK charts. US New Wave acts that weren't there at the beginning were kind of lame in comparison. I think that these 3rd wave US bands were reacting to the 2nd wave UK bands that were being sold back to America at that point. Hence the watered down nature of groups like Berlin, Missing Persons, and The Knack. Americans initially developed all of these modern threads of Rock, but the British came in afterward and developed them into a larger commercial force. At the end of the day the numbers say "UK" but I give due to the American bands that kicked the whole idea of this New Rock off.

UR-Punk:
    Velvet Underground - the band who did everything first and influenced the likes of Bowie and Roxy Music, who in turn influenced almost everything afterward.

Punk:
    The Stooges, Ramones, The New York Dolls

New Wave:
    Patti Smith Band, Blondie, TVLKING HEVDS, Television

Post-Punk:
    Residents, Suicide, Pere Ubu, DEVO, Iggy Pop ["The Idiot" was a foundational Post-Punk album by an American , but it was crypto-Bowie, it's true…]

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  5. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

Wow! I had no idea... never heard of, let alone saw this... seriously looks like some comedy skits from SCTV!!!

1983 and Gnome de Plume like this.
  6. YarRevenge

YarRevenge Forum Resident

Are Pet Shop Boys New Wave too?

Elegant talent electronic duo from Uk

7. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

8. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

Back in the day I bought this album...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

With hindsight it wasn't so much a definitive guide to New Wave as a random selection of mid-70s alternative rock. But it still looks like the USA had the better tunes.

changeling69 likes this.
  9. zphage

zphage genre fluid

A recent wide ranging discussion on the subject with lots of good input:

New Wave music

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The problem with "new wave" is that it doesn't have a very clear definition. "New wave" was mainly a record company term, and it meant different things to different people at different times. We had a thread on this point before.

1983, pwhytey and changeling69 like this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

12. changeling69

Some call The Knack 'new wave' with power pop.....

13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

This is a good list, because I was trying to picture what American bands even could stand up to the UK.

The problem for me is that the Knack's first album (and only really big one was 1979), and I found The Cars and Talking Heads far more interesting in the 1970s than in the 1980s, although most of Talking Heads' hits were in the 1980s.

And while it's true that the Pretenders had English members and an American frontwoman, the band was formed in the UK and Chrissie was really the only American member until we get to like 1986. That's why I've always considered them to be English - they just FEEL English to me, if that makes any sense.

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. changeling69

.................................of Debs with Blondie :)..

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

All those bands predated "punk" and "post-punk" as journalistic terms in wide use.

Iggy's solo career was really something else entirely, that just happened to coincide with other things going on at the time, so he got lumped in.

16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag [placeholder]

I remember sitting in English class in junior high in the 80s and realizing all of my favorite bands were British. Among the few exceptions as to individual musicians were Stewart Copeland and Chrissie Hyde. Between the first and second Invasions, I didn't really need American bands, save Van Halen.

R.E.M. would become a factor for me just before I went to college, and then The Grateful Dead would complete the recapture of my brain for the States in college.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    1983 likes this.
  17. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

UK and it's not even close.

skisdlimit likes this.
  18. low_line

low_line lukewarm water

I'm abstaining. New Wave is too much of an umbrella term/has too many subsets for this to be a call I could meaningfully make.

changeling69 and Jimmy B. like this.
  19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

The term "new wave" doesn't mean anything.
    The record labels didn't want anything to do with something labeled "punk" after the Sex Pistols did their pointless, ill-fated tour of the United States (which killed the chance then of the Ramones actually getting Sheena Is A Punk Rocker played on radio and being the hit it should have been), so they came up with the term "new wave."

1983 and ralphb like this.
  20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Agreed. Every time one of these threads comes up I see bands listed as "new wave" that, to me, don't come close to it. Patti Smith, Television, Blondie, T-Heads, Cabaret Voltaire... I don't think so.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yea. I would probably say the first three albums cement them as an English band, but it's always awkward in that situation...
    Like the Jimi Hendrix Experience... where do we put them? ..... at the end of the day I don't care, just keep making great music folks :)

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  22. BroJB

BroJB Hey man, is that FREEDOM ROCK?

I go by how we viewed it at the time. Post-punk didn't exist as a descriptor. Punk and new wave were more or less interchangeable ( as indicated by the seminal compilation shown below).

The need for everything to fit into neat little boxes came later.

[​IMG]

23. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

:agree: Yes, there's a reason this musical period from roughly the late 70's to the early 80's was referred to as the "Second British Invasion":
    Second British Invasion - Wikipedia

Sure, there were many fine U.S. acts who could be considered "new wave" (depending on your definition), but overall I'd say the UK mostly reigned supreme, that is until MTV both popularized the genre and (I think) ultimately killed it off. YMMV, of course!
    :targettiphat:

1983 and NunoBento like this.
  24. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

After 1979/80 ish we didn't really have something as clear cut as New Wave in the UK. Not so many skinny tie bands at any rate.

When it came to guitar bands (and guitar bands with synthesisers or former guitar bands that now only used synthesisers) it broke down far more often into quite distinct sub-cultures. There was of course Post Punk (which covered everything from the Mary Chain to Rip Rig and Panic) but there were obviously the New Romantics / Electro Futurists and the Goths etc etc. A lot of hairspray was involved almost across the board!

1983 likes this.
  25. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

UK, but USA had some good bands too of course.