Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Poll: Who did New Wave better in the 80s: USA or UK?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cryptical17, May 3, 2021.

1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Because in 1975 Blondie was punk. :)

Big Blue and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yea, I love all Blondie's albums, but you can hear the punk in the first two particularly.

ralphb likes this.
  3. Station17

Station17 Time to play B-sides...

Like many bands from both...love most stuff from the late 70s early 80s in general. After that, things get complicated...I like a lot of the music of New Wave acts as they aged (Talking Heads, Cure, etc) but there was a lot of bad music (IMHO) during the remainder of the 80s.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yea, that is the awkward thing about genres, particularly newer, or sub-genres... I think your location at the time makes a difference too.

To my memory, in Aus, both the guitar based and synth based bands were New Wave... but only post 77... pre.... about 82/83..... it seemed like at that point, more damn subgenres came into play with the popularization of the terms New Romantic and Synth Pop....
    These seemed more for the UK bands..

I think New Romantic was bands like Duran and Spandau Ballet... still using guitars, and presented with a heavy eighties fashion sense.
    Then Synth Pop seemed to be bands like OMD, post Lowlife New Order, Howard Jones and stuff like that....

It ends up just being a confusing fluster cluck, and nobody is any the wiser on what is actually what....

ralphb likes this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Punk and New Wave really have different sensibilities. Punk was pretty anti-disco, back to the roots, spare, hard onslaughts of rock. Disco was 4-on-the-floor R'n'B infused rhythm with huge, dense arrangement and slick production. In response, Punk was loud, intense, machine-gun speed rock and roll, with essentially just raw guitars, bass and drums, and often screaming vocals. I'm generalizing a bit. Certainly early Elvis Costello was angry, hard bits of rock and roll.

New Wave, on the other hand, often featured hook-filled pop/rock songs featuring lusher arrangements such as synths and more soulful vocals. Groups like Duran Duran, The Church, The Red Rockers, as well as others, were going after a more sophisticated, produced sound, unlike the raw sound of Punk. Garage bands, in my mind, grew out of the Punk movement. Kurt Cobain was much more in the spirit of Punk than in New Wave. Blondie's "Heart of Glass" is more New Wave than Punk, but they might have started more Punk. But Punk, to my ears, doesn't have the radio-friendly pop feel of New Wave.

6. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

And yet....

7. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 Forum Resident

New Zealand did it better than either the UK or the US.

changeling69 and angelo73 like this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Dedicated Listener

As Carly Simon wisely sang, nobody does it better.

9. the Mac

the Mac Well-Known Member

UK, clear cut to be honest. No mention of Thomas Dolby or Gary Numan in the list either?

10. the Mac

the Mac Well-Known Member

Nearly 20% saying USA, I nearly fell off my chair at that! It's as clear cut as if there was an identical poll for Prog rock. Punk might be closer mind.

11. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

As others have written (and we’ve covered this topic in many threads), “New Wave” means something very different in the UK than it does in the US.

But however you define it, the UK did it better. The 80s wouldn’t have been the 80s without British music.

1983 likes this.
  12. redmedicine

redmedicine Pop Punk Psych Prog

Agreed on the UK consensus. Maybe a more controversial opinion I have is that the UK musical dominance was a relatively short (but hugely influential) period of time from 1964-1984. The rest of the time it's been US, hands down.

1983 and pwhytey like this.
  13. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

it was Just Like Heaven

14. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Grace was a big part of the new wave...in 1966. :D

Cryptical17 likes this.