Poll: Who Do You Think Played The Bass Guitar On The Doors 'Light My Fire'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by porpoise mouth, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. But a pentagram is more ominous and mystical and more appropriate for a shaman - Jim was a shaman, man! - to be at the head of, innit?

More to the point, perhaps Manzarek was afraid of being pushed to the back of the stage in order to get the "shape" right. :)

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Is that why the keyboard and guitar are crammed together on the first album?

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Have you heard the master tapes? He's not saying there isn't a bass guitar in there just that that isn't the actual isolated bass part. It's definitely a different bass part than on the recording, there are some different notes and timings. There's one minor flub on the final recording at the end of the solo break that is absent on the "isolated bass track" that was posted earlier.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The keyboard and guitar were on one channel for most of the album, just because that's how they did things in those days, the piano bass and drums on another, the first vocal was on three and the overdubbed vocal on four, except on THE END. The tracks with bass were reduced to three and bass added. Bass guitarless songs like ALABAMA SONG were three track live with OD instrumental effect, etc.

Sorry if I seem cranky to members like Mr. Bass, etc. but I've been writing about this exact same thing here since 2002!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

No need to say you are sorry Mr Hoffman. I was pointing out, I thought in a mildly humorous way, how we post stuff (and I include myself) without checking even this website for what has been said previously.

6. Steve Hoffman

Well, it's mixed as to what to do here. 1/2 of our moderators want new threads started, a few of them want old threads bumped but there really isn't a great way to do research on what's been written before because of the limitations of our search engine.

However, any time someone writes that they heard the Doors really were the Wrecking Crew, or they never noticed a bass guitar on the records before, I mean, yikes, that just be crazy talk!

Listen at 1:27. Even in this thin sounding YouTube version you can hear the bass guitar.

BTW, if you want to hear the song in all its glory, get the Audio Fidelity BEST OF THE DOORS SACD. Thazz more like it!

7. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

I could care less who played bass. I want to know which lead guitar part was recorded first on When The Music's Over. I think it was the right channel.

8. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

I just enjoy The Doors for what they where.Remember they were only in their very early 20's and to be able to make music like they did, it was heaven send!

Old Rusty likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Nope, Betty Jo Bialowski.

dsdu, showtaper, konut and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Betty Jo was just such a Nancy!

showtaper, konut and Steve Hoffman like this.
  11. It states, "Larry Knechtel - bass guitar, credited by Robby Krieger". What does this mean exactly?

The Wikipedia page for The Doors (self-titled debut album) states that Larry Knechtel played bass on Light My Fire, Soul Kitchen, Twentieth Century Fox, Back Door Man, I Looked At You and Take It As It Comes but was uncredited.

There's no mention of Krieger at all regarding the bass player on the album on that page, however, Ray Manzarek is credited for playing keyboard bass on the album.

I'm very confused now. :confused:

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Simple: they're saying Robby Krieger says that Larry Knechtel doubled Ray Manzarek's bass keyboard parts on those songs.

13. Ern

Ern Senior Member

From the same guy who posted the isolated Bass from Light My Fire, are these fake too? Of course not.

14. Ern

Ern Senior Member

15. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Yes, here's Robbie about it:

Why did you record with a bassist but play live without one?
    "Mainly what the bassist would play was what Ray [Manzarek, Doors' keyboardist] would play with his left hand and he used a Fender Rhodes Piano Bass that sat on top of his organ – it was like a small Fender Rhodes but just the bass notes.
    "So the bass player would pretty much copy what Ray was doing, but not all the time. We had some great players. The first guy we had was Larry Knechtel and he played on Light My Fire and some other songs on the first album. He pretty much copied was Ray played with his left hand.
    "On the second album [Strange Days] we had a guy named Doug Lubahn, he played in a band called The Clear Light who were also on Elektra at that time. He was a really creative player he came up with the line on Strange Days. Love Me Two Times is cool too. He did a lot of cool stuff.
    "But you're right when we played those songs live we were missing that bass.

16. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Well, at the very least, the bass part isn't the same one that made the final recording. There are audible differences in the two recordings.

17. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Lubahn was a great bassist. His playing on Wintertime Love is just perfect.

Old Rusty and Dudley Morris like this.
  18. Gray Newell

Gray Newell Forum Resident

Doug is still a great bassist, he's working on some new material at this very moment.

19. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    painted8 likes this.
  20. segue

Jerry Scheff's bass on "Love Her Madly" ! :)

21. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

I heard that Harvey Brooks did some stuff for them, but I don't know which ones if any.......Historically, especially for Doors fans, it would be nice to know who contributed.

John Bliss likes this.
  22. varispeed

varispeed what if?

As to the pics on that video, is that Scheff? Kinda looks like the old CCR bass player haha. And who is the other guitar player with the long straight hair sitting next to Robbie? From the pics alone, I would've loved to have heard the Doors as that 6-piece band rather than what my ears had to endure when I saw the 4-piece in 67.

23. porpoise mouth

porpoise mouth Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Harvey was credited of playing bass on the Soft Parade LP on four tracks, Tell all the people, Touch me, Wild child and Wishful sinful. The rest where played by Doug Lubahn.

24. segue

That's Scheff....and I think Marc Benno on guitar

25. segue

previously....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.