Poll: Your Favorite Movie Franchises (Sci-fi/Fantasy)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Standoffish, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey Thread Starter

You can vote for up to 3. If this gets enough interest, I'll do polls for other genres. Then I'll do a "playoff" for the 3 best movie franchises of all time.

2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Lord of the Rings: Nearly perfect. An incredible achievement by all involved.
    Harry Potter: I'm a much bigger fan of the books, but Harry Potter was my childhood and I saw every film in the theaters during their opening weekends.
    Star Trek: I have grown to prefer Star Trek to Star Wars. I'd rather watch The Voyage Home (my favorite) or The Wrath of Khan than any of the SW flicks. Warts and all, such a fascinating group of films, original cast, Next Gen, and reboots all.

Standoffish likes this.
  3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Of those listed, Matrix gets my exclusive vote. Part 1 and 2 are fantastic movies.

4. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are the only ones I really love. I picked Harry Potter as my third option, but I’m not really into that franchise anymore. As for the rest, I have only seen the first installment or two or I don’t like the majority of the franchise (or possibly any of it).

5. Hate to admit it. I'm a big fan of Star Trek ToS & TNG. I love the original Star Wars Trilogy.

But the Star Trek Movies were hit and miss, and the newer Star Wars ruined the Franchise for me. Ditto Matrix - loved the Original, got bored by the sequels. Ditto Jurrasic. and Terminator.

Harry Potter for me.

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Star Wars

Star Trek

Men In Black

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I can only vote for Star Trek.

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Desperately needs an "Other" option.

For me, it's Alien, but Halloween runs it a close second.

The Alien franchise is running aground with the last couple, but there's still hope. With Halloween, it's gone off the rails more than Casey Jones, and some entrries are clearly awful. On the other hand, there's this crazy pleasure in some guy who can't die, with a crazy back-story that makes no sense at all, with motivations and desires confusingly changed for no good reason. Halloween is an ewxample of how not to do a franchise series - yet I'm entertained each time, even by the worst entries.

One of the most disappointing franchises is Hellraiser - which has a great premise. Sadly writer after writer has set out to destroy the franchise (seemingly). I still watch them when I can, but I always end up regretting it. :D

For the record:

Star Wars
    I've seen the fiurst three films, but not any of the others. Weird, I love Sci-Fi, but Star Wars to me is a bit too much like a soap Opera. I'll probably catch up with it sometime.

Star Trek
    No. There was one film about a sattellite coming back which I think was okay, the rest poor.

The Matrix
    Yeah, I enjoy these. Not seen them in ages, but surely iut's only a matter of time before this comes back.

Transformers
    There's no substance in these films. They work as action titles you watch and then forget.

Jurassic Park
    The first fiolm was great, but it's been spinning wheels since then.

Terminator
    They seem afraid to move the story forward, so we get the first two films - which share the plot oif the first one a little too closely as is - and then rinse-repeat.

Planet of the Apes
    The original films were great - the new ones are kinda blah.

Men in Black
    I've seen them, fun, but nothing more.

Lord of the Rings
    Not seen these. I read the books back in the 80's.

The Hobbit
    Not seen. Read book back in the 80's.

The Chronicles of Narnia
    Not seen. Read the books back in the 70's.

Harry Potter
    Not seen, read, or otherwise indulged.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I would rename this thread to include Sci Fi/Fantasy in the title. I was about to ask why no James Bond.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Predator

Poll? T E R M I N A T O R

11. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The Avengers

12. Standoffish

I would contact a Gort to rename it, but I don't know how. :(

13. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

No Indiana Jones?! That would be in my top 3 no question.

1. Lord of the Rings: easily my number one.

2. Harry Potter: just brilliant fantasy.

3. Star Wars: going off the original 3 only. I really haven’t enjoyed anything from the prequel or the recent ones.

I really need to watch the other Narnia’s because I remember really enjoying the first one.

I enjoy the Hobbit films but I recognize their flaws.

I haven’t seen all of the Star Treks just II through V, with IV being my favorite.

Jurassic Park is brilliant but the other films I could do without.

I liked liked the Planet of the Apes with James Franco the second one was good but the most recent I couldnt get into and don’t remember the originals at all.

Saw Matrix once didn’t like it.

Didn’t like any of Terminators after 2.

MIB is funny but others weren’t memorable.

Never seen Transformers.

14. Standoffish

The Gorts made the thread title more clear, so I thought I'd bump this to see if there's more interest.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Overall I have to say I prefer Star Trek now too. There isn't any Trek that matches the first few SW movies, but if I think about them as a whole (10 SW movies vs. the 13 ST ones, I think I have that right), I'd rather watch the 13 ST ones.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The poll is very difficult to answer. I've been a Trek and Star Wars fan for a long time, but for Trek that only extends to the TV series up to and including Voyager. The movies were okay with one or two that stand out, but the new Jar Jar Abrams abominations are anathema.

Same goes for Star Wars. I only rate the first two movies of the original trilogy. What came after, and certainly now (reboots), is not something I care about at all.

And missing are some of my favorites like Back To The Future and Alien.

17. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

18. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Well, I voted Star Wars, Terminator and Apes. Rings easily but clearly fourth.

19. Standoffish

If we keep this going, I've got Alien scheduled in the horror genre.

I can't believe I left out Back to the Future. I'll stick it in somewhere, maybe under "Comedy".

20. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I like the Star Wars and LOTR franchises, but I also like the first Matrix, the first two Terminators, and a few of the Star Trek movies.

YardByrd likes this.
  21. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Went with Planet of the Apes, original versions. Also surprised myself recently when I watched Star Trek (original cast) and liked the odd numbered ones far more than back in the days of original release. So, they took my second vote. Lord of the Rings edged out Star Wars because I haven't been able to stomach anything since ESB (except for Rebels cartoon, which recaptures in spades the original films' sense of adventure)...

Standoffish likes this.
  22. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Watching Star Trek Deep Space 9 on Netflix right now - I underestimated how good this series was. Combine DS9 with TNG and TOS & Voyager + the half the movies and combined it’s a very strong franchise

23. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Star Trek
    Star Wars
    Harry Potter

24. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

25. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

Harry Potter wins hands down for me.
    Your missing one of the greats off your above list.
    Captain Jack Sparrow .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.