POLL - Your Favourite Big Star Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by auralden, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

#1 is just about a perfect rock/pop record, consistently very good to great, start to finish.

Radio City is more eclectic, not as consistent, but it is much more adventurous and has some killer, killer songs

What's Going Ahn
    You Get What You Deserve
    Back Of A Car
    September Gurls
    I'm In Love With A Girl

auralden likes this.
  2. Matty

Matty Forum Resident

Forgive the pun, but I'd rank the albums on a chronological Bell curve -- #1 is great, Radio City is even greater and Third is on par with the debut.

Incidentally, I'm in the middle of belatedly reading the Chilton biography "A Man Called Destruction." I'm aware that it doesn't adequately cover Chilton's final two decades, but the Box Tops/Big Star stuff that I've read so far is fascinating.

Aphoristical and auralden like this.
  3. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Voted all 3, Third's high points are some of the most beautiful, poignant, haunting and memorable in all of my music collection. Radio City is probably my favorite as a whole, great shimmering guitars but more in edge, with the music more off best and interesting. #1 Record has Chris Bell, need I say more?

Overall, they all stick out in my mind. I love Big Star so much. Alex & Chris (may they both R.I.P.) gave us great material

4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

And Andy too.

auralden and Mr. Grieves like this.
  5. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Third, of course.

Andrew J and auralden like this.
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Radio City is a solid album with no weaknesses, so it wins on that basis.

rockerreds and auralden like this.
  7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Yes absolutely. I actually love his songs on both albums

auralden and vamborules like this.
  8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

"Radio City" because it has "September Gurls" which is my favorite power pop of all time.

auralden likes this.
  9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Love all three, but I have to go with #1 Record. Watch the Sunrise is one of my favorite songs of al time, and The Ballad of El Goodo, Thirteen, and the final five-song sequence, it's just... wow.

auralden likes this.
  10. FriendlyRanger

FriendlyRanger Forum Resident

Three different albums by three different Big Stars. All wonderful but I'm picking the album with the great Chris Bell in the line-up.

Bell and Chilton had limitless potential. Everybody that loves music should know their names. Hummel and Stephens were pretty great, too.

tmtomh and auralden like this.
  11. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

auralden likes this.
  12. #1 Record, with Third as second and Radio City last, but I love them all.

auralden likes this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Surprising result to me. I thought Third would be in the first place

auralden likes this.
  14. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Radio City for sure.

auralden likes this.
  15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I couldn't choose so I voted for all three.

auralden likes this.
  16. sami

sami Mono still rules

Love all three, but #1 is the only true Big Star record - without Bell it really become a more of a Chilton solo record of sorts.

#1 Record is absolute genius, one of the most perfect pop records ever made, and it's the yin and yang of Bell and Chilton that makes the record. I would have loved to have seen the band grow in its original iteration over several records - I think we'd be discussing Bell/Chilton as part of the group of all time great songwriting pairs.

auralden likes this.
  17. sami

sami Mono still rules

The first two record on Classic vinyl are absolutely brilliant pressings.

auralden and Myke like this.
  18. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

They are one of my favorite bands, but #1 Record is so much lamer than the other two I simply can't understand why it is so beloved here. Because it's the most Badfinger-like Big Star album?

auralden likes this.
  19. ReturnOfSpongecake

ReturnOfSpongecake Well-Known Member

And no love for In Space?

20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I love all three, hugely important albums for me, so I voted for all three.

auralden likes this.
  21. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Third is challenging, harrowing and asymmetrical, like a person who grew old and desperate when once they were young, innocent and full of optimism (#1 Record).

While at a push my preference is for Third, not surprised that the prettier one gets the most votes. Isn't that usually the case?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    auralden and Lemon Curry like this.
  22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Have you finished the book? It was a tough read for me in that this was a guy truly hell-bent on his own personal destruction, which he ultimately achieved. One is tempted to think if #1 Record was a smash hit it all might have been different, but then again I think he would have ultimately blown that up, too. He spent his life chasing some kind of personal justice that only he seemed able to see. Such a tragedy - he was such a huge talent.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    auralden likes this.
  23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Radio city is my least favorite

auralden and Andrew J like this.
  24. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Wish I could vote for 2-for-1 with the first two albums on onc CD. That is my favourite!!!

Otherwise gone for the debut.

auralden likes this.
  25. Matty

Matty Forum Resident

I wound up having mixed feelings. Yes, the details of Chilton's "lost decade" were hard to read about, and he certainly hurt a lot of people (himself included), as well as his career, with his actions. But the book's final chapters were uplifting in a way -- they helped me understand that Chilton wasn't simply pissing away his talent, or reflexively rejecting his legacy, but rather was sincerely following his own muse, regardless of whether the results were something that folks like you and me wanted to hear. I'm not a big fan of his 80s and 90s work, but I admire his refusal to pander to Big Star acolytes like myself. And in the book his reunion with the Box Tops, which I had always dismissed as a cynical cash-grab, came across as a heartfelt and oddly touching act.

So while it's not a feel-good book, I'm glad I read it. I only wish that Chilton had agreed to be interviewed. For all his problems and contradictions, he was clearly a smart and self-aware guy, and I would have loved to read his thoughts.

auralden and Andrew J like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.