PONO Hands-on Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

rburly and Dino like this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That is pretty much the definitive post on the topic. Nice work.

Dino likes this.
  3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I'm on the verge of buying a 200 GB micro-SD card.....
    ....but I really want to know if Pono can manage such a large capacity card. And I've read the topic so far, many people have asked the same thing, but no-one has answered the question yet. (or did I miss the answer?)

So please, if anyone had already try to insert a 200 GB micro sd card into his or her Pono, could he or she share a bit of the experience ? ;)
    Thanks. :)

4. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I've had the 200gb microSD card in my Pono for months; works perfectly fine.

But wait! There's more! Amazon now has a 256gb microSD card: Amazon.com: Samsung EVO Select Micro SDXC Memory Card, 256GB, 95MB/s: Computers & Accessories ยป

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
    Zongadude and Dino like this.
  5. jy3iix

jy3iix Forum Resident

2 tips:

- side load music directly onto the 200GB micro SD via card slot on your PC/Mac if you can - - don't load via the USB > Pono > SD chain, and definitely don't use the PMW app to load files.

- if you have a mishap while loading files and the system hangs or crashes, beware any following prompts recommending you run a file system check on the SD card - - never EVER run Windows CHKDSK on a 200GB card, or any of the similar Mac or 3rd party file system checkers/fixers.

I bricked two 200GB cards on my way to learning these lessons... very frustrating. Fortunately SanDisk global customer service is excellent and they replaced both cards gratis.

hvbias, Zongadude and Dino like this.
  6. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I have been using a couple of these for a while, no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultr..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=DXHGB7BJSPZ8EZC2N0JC

Zongadude likes this.
  7. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Thank you very much for all your answers. The card has been ordered ;)

As for:
    This is already what I've been doing since day one. The PMW is almost of no use to me, especially since you still cannot buy music from it in Europe. (I use it only for firmware updates).

8. Dino likes this.
  9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have used a couple of those for five or six months now and they work great; that is a great price as well.

Dino likes this.
  10. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Thanks, BGLeduc!

Last Black Friday they were $79 (regular price $99) and I bought 2.
    Now they are regular price $79 and I had been thinking about getting another. I bought (the limit of) 3 at $59 after I saw your post. I will now have a total of a terabyte of these. I should be set for a while!

11. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I really wanted to try balanced listening on my Pono, but couldn't justify dropping $400-plus on Sennheisers, Oppos, etc. I split the difference and got the modded ATH-M50x cans ($200 shipped) from Surfcables that include swappable balanced cables (as well as the stock cables that come with the headphones off the shelf). Very worthy purchase IMO and the guys at Surfcables were great - gave me the full lowdown on what was done to mod the headphones so that I can pretend to know what I'm talking about when I demo them with the Pono for friends.

martinb4, billnunan and oneway23 like this.
  12. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Any good earbuds with balanced cables that works well with Pono? Shure SE846, maybe?And what about noise isolating headphones with balanced cables too? And does anybody know if i can find a place in Miami where they sell Pono, balanced cables, awesome headphones, etc? Cheers.

13. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

You could try the full size oppo pm-3 headphones with balanced cable from Surf Cables. Imo, the best sounding portable option out there

martinb4 likes this.
  14. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Hi there guys, instead of buying a Pono, i'm thinking about buying and external Hi-Res DAC for my smartphone. Doe anybody knows if it's going to sound as good as Pono? And can i do balanced cables with that? And what do i have to do to play my smartphone albums with that external DAC quality sound in my car?

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.