Pono Website Dedicated Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Two separate threads work for me as you are correct about the too numerous spinoffs. One for downloads like the HDtracks one so they can be discussed and one thread for everything else Pono.

Grant likes this.
  2. Stereosound

Can a mod do something about this please? Note that one Pono thread (this one is in the music section as I think it should be because that's what will be discussed). One of the other ones the one that's the biggest and has been around the longest is in the hardware section currently, not sure where the best place would be to put it though although that may work and you could just merge the other offshoot threads there. Might be the easiest solution.

mneuliep likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You might get a response if you PM one of the mods. They don't read everything.

4. Stereosound

I'll try. How's this idea one thread for Pono (whatever) and merge this Pono download thread with the HDtracks thread so all downloads are discussed?

5. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I would personally prefer to have a thread (this one, ideally) that's just about Pono downloads, not about hardware or downloads from other providers. My $0.02.

chrischerm, rxcory, tgdinamo and 8 others like this.
  6. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

I would prefer we leave this thread alone. Ya know, as the person who took the time to start it. I have an idea. Let's add a thread called the "Do you think we have too many Pono threads" thread. Only on Hoffman!

Seriously though in my experience there's a Darwinian thing that happens with the threads that are similar. The strong tend to survive.

7. mindblanking

:edthumbs::laughup::pineapple:

chrischerm likes this.
  8. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I'd be curious if the Live Rust remaster restores the cuts that were made from the original double LP release when it was first issued on CD.

9. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Why not have one thread that is just titled "HD Music Downloads"? That would cover Pono, HDTracks, etc. It would also be a thread to compare the differences between downloads on the various sites.

10. Grant

Nah! They are two separate stores.

rxcory and lpfreak1170 like this.
  11. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

That there is a swell idea...I'm with this fella.

chrischerm likes this.
  12. Grant

In other words, you want yours to survive because you started it, right? ;)

13. mindblanking

The problem with that I think is that Pono is going to be more about the cd quality stuff they offer than the HD stuff. That will be available all over the place. That's why I figured this thread was a good idea. Like mentioning that you can now buy Lee Morgan "Live at the Lighthouse" for $16 which is outstanding! (Did I mention Lee Morgan "Live at the Lighthouse?"

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  14. mindblanking

I mean, look, if it dies out and people travel elsewhere that's totally cool. Just don't think threads should be deleted unless it's really the exact same thread.

15. Grant

You'll notice I was winking. But, there is an existing thread just like this one. And, the one asking about when the store would open is a moot issue now, so it should be closed.

16. mindblanking

I know you were. Was writing that for others who might not know what a wink is.

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Maybe somebody can help me. I tried to register at the Pono site, but then it asked me to log in by user name. During the registration process it never asked me to create a user name. I actually backed up through all of the screens and looked at the registration page and there is no field that says user name. How do I register and log on?

18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

it's your email address

Grant likes this.
  19. mindblanking

I had same problem. Use your email address

20. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Thinking about starting a poll entitled "Will I Get Fired For Downloading From the Pono Store At Work?" Or should that just be part of this thread? :rolleyes:

nstza and oneway23 like this.
  21. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Deja Vu and Live '74 came pre-loaded on my CSN&Y signature Pono player. Both in 192/24. They sound great. I assume that you could buy them at the store but I haven't looked for them, obviously.

22. Stereosound

Ultimately Pono is about high resolution and is working toward that way. So while yes maybe not completely at first things will change. Not to mention all of the other download stores offerings will get discussed on other threads for comparison sake it would be easier to keep download talk contained. And if the stores keep up with this thread it may help for price competitiveness and provenance curating. Just a thought.

23. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Thanks. So maybe the preloaded material that came out on the signature players will be available at the Pono Store soon. I hope so anyway!

24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I can tell you that, at least for the time being, the Metallica albums that came with my Pono are unfortunately not yet in the store, though I'm certain they'll arrive in short order.

25. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

So far, I'm a fan. Finally a legal alternative to purchasing used physical media (which I don't care to own) or downloading. It's about damned time.

Some minor complaints are:
    • Visa/MC only. Can't pay with Amex or PayPal (or Bitcoin).
    • Need to offer more individual song sales. I would've spent 3x what I spent yesterday if I could have bought individual songs.
    • Poor search and no browse functionality.
    • No wish list.
    • Have to install desktop app to download purchases (minor annoyance).
    But for an initial rollout, I think it's pretty well done.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.