“Poor Things” 2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by humanbeing, Dec 26, 2023.

1. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

it’s when she ends up back with her initial husband (/father) that she really starts to get fenced in again. She’s treated as property in the confines of that relationship as opposed to earlier, when she’s discovering the world on her own terms

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure but
    she does so out of confusion about her past. She then rebels against her monstrous first husband and ends the film in control of her life.

The movie needed that plot twist to add some conflict in the 3rd act.

JediJones and ghoulsurgery like this.
  3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I read they had to cut a scene to get past British censors. Kind of surprising. But I wouldn’t say it’s a key scene.

I had mixed feelings about this movie. I appreciated the craft of it and the acting performances, but I’m not sure I really liked it that much. I hadn’t seen much of Ruffalo outside of Marvel, but this performance really redeemed him after All The Light We Cannot See (seems that can now be blamed on the general Hallmark quality of that production).

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I saw that on an airplane so all of the good scenes are cut out. But I can't imagine it was half the film like Emma was.

JediJones likes this.
  5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It’s not even the nudity, it’s the constant bopping she likes to do. :)

JediJones and unclefred like this.
  6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I haven't seen it but I can't help but wonder if it would be very popular without the nudity and bopping. The bopping gets mentioned everywhere quite a bit.

JediJones likes this.
  7. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Saw this yesterday, weird, visually stunning, excellent. Great performances

JediJones, It's Felix and Helmuth like this.
  8. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

Bopping? Is that like... F___ing?

Director is hit or miss for me, so I might venture to the cinema, but more likely will wait for home video release. I'm sure it's probably good but a 141 minutes runtime, if it doesn't 'click' for me,... is less than enticing in all honesty.

9. curbach

I don’t know. I didn’t feel like any of the bopping was portrayed in a particularly titillating way.

JediJones, smilin ed, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  10. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Between the length, the incredibly terrible trailer, the fact that I haven't liked a single clip that I've seen (man her character looks snotty and annoying based on those), my general disregard for 'steampunk', and my cold reaction to The Favorite (excuse me, the "Favourite"), I just can't motivate myself to see it. :shrug:

It still feels like it's a critics darling more than a popular one here in the States, and I still think Gladstone will get the Oscar in a replay of Yeoh vs. Blanchett last year (history-making first nomination vs. already-awarded star), but who knows, it might have momentum on its side at this point.

Chris DeVoe and RSteven like this.
  11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The furious jumping is a pretty central part of the story and her character development, so I can’t imagine this movie without it

JediJones, Chris DeVoe, Dan C and 3 others like this.
  12. curbach

Definitely sounds like you won’t enjoy it. Better to save your money and time for something you will enjoy. That said, the steampunk aesthetic is deployed in a really interesting manner IMO.

JediJones, AppleBonker and unclefred like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Definitely not. This ain't a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk.

14. curbach

:laugh:

JediJones and The Cat 3 like this.
  15. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I await Bette Midler in Poor Things, The Musical. :eek:

16. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

There is a lot of funny, awkward sex and nudity in it - gonna turn some folks off for sure, along with the weird/quirky tone. I thought it was a great imaginative treat - preferred it to The Favourite overall as this one has some especially stunning visuals. Emma Stone is great as Bella

JediJones, Chris DeVoe, Dan C and 4 others like this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

A crazy, bonkers, very imaginative movie. Emma Stone, Mark Ruffalo and the Director deserve all the accolades/award nominations they are getting. Very funny in parts, especially in the second half. As others have said, there is much nudity and sex (“jumping”), but it’s a very integral part of the story. I too preferred it to The Favourite. It won’t be to everyone’s taste, but it is clever. I can imagine it dividing audiences in much the same way Saltburn seems to have done.

18. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

yea I gotta go see this, I like what folks are saying here :agree:

JediJones, SandAndGlass and RSteven like this.
  19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I've got my ticket for Friday. Looking forward to it very much.

JediJones, RSteven and Cool hand luke like this.
  20. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

My partner and I finally saw it over the weekend after two failed attempts (first time- fire alarm pulled; second time- heavy rains caused basement flooding (nothing damaged, thankfully)). We loved it.

21. wolfram

Saw it on Friday and totally loved it. Weird, unique, visually stunning and funny as hell. A very remarkable film and Emma Stone was fantastic in it. I'll watch it again on Tuesday.

Am I the only one who expected that they would transfer Godwin's brain into the body of the evil husband? I found it strange, that they didn't. Godwin is dying, while next door they have a healthy and sedated body. They could give him another life in a young and attractive body, to make up for his tormented existence after the mutilations by his father. But they just let him die and put a goat's brain in the evil husband's head.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    dangiedr, JediJones and Max Florian like this.
  22. curbach

I thought the same. . .

23. wolfram

It was also a nice surprise to see Hanna Schygulla as Martha. Haven't seen her in a while.

24. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

OMG! Had tix to see in in December but I wound up with shingles and just now got out to see it. AMAZING. It really is a bit of an odyssey. Beautifully shot. Dafoe, Ruffalo and Stone are perfect.

25. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Really good, and worth a trip to the theater