Pop Rick Nelson or country Rick Nelson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by c_boulle, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I prefer the music of his more mature country rock period, those who've never heard anything other than ''Garden Party'' are missing a lot. I do love his early material as well, and ''Travelin' Man'' will always be my favorite RN song.

2141, Comet01 and thematinggame like this.
  2. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I like them bot but with a slight preference for his country rock albums with the Stone Canyon Band

2141 likes this.
  3. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I don't have a preference. I like the Dylan Rick Nelson too. Very good covers of Dylan songs.

2141, forthlin, Comet01 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I love Country Rick Nelson! Steel guitarist Tom Brumley added a lot to the Stone Country Band era. Future Eagle Randy Meisner can be heard on background vocals and bass on that wonderful track.

After Rick's plane crash, Dylan acknowledged his death by each night on tour by asking for a moment of silence and then played "Lonesome Town".

Here is an excerpt from Dylan's Chronicles autobiography regarding the first time that he heard "Travelin' Man":

Ricky had a smooth touch, the way he crooned in fast rhythm, the tonation of his voice. He was different than the rest of the teen idols, had a great guitarist who played like a cross between a honky-tonk hero and a barn-dance fiddler.

Nelson had never been a bold innovator like the early singers who sang like they were navigating burning ships. He didn’t sing desperately, do a lot of damage, and you’d never mistake him for a shaman. It didn’t feel like his endurance was ever being tested to the utmost, but it didn’t matter.

He sang his songs calm and steady like he was in the middle of a storm, men hurling past him. His voice was sort of mysterious and made you fall into a certain mood. I had been a big fan of Ricky’s and still liked him, but that type of music was on its way out. ...

I’d always felt kin to him. We were about the same age, probably liked the same things, from the same generation although our life experience had been so dissimilar, him being brought up out West on a family TV show.

It was like he’d been born and raised on Walden Pond where everything was hunky-dory, and I’d come out of the dark demonic woods, same forest, just a different way of looking at things. Ricky’s talent was very accessible to me. I felt we had a lot in common. In a few years’ time he’d record some of my songs, make them sound like they were his own, like he had written them himself. He eventually did write one himself and mentioned my name in it.

Ricky, in about ten years’ time, would even get booed while onstage for changing what was perceived as his musical direction. It turned out we did have a lot in common.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    forthlin, Steel Horse, Tord and 3 others like this.
  5. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

All Rick,all the time, anytime...:love:

sewerdog and ChazFromCali like this.
  6. joepepitone

Dang, I posted my Dylan Rick Nelson comment without realizing you made a similar remark. Great song.

Comet01 likes this.
  7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I think like Elvis, the classic 50s material was the pinnacle. With that said, I have only recently gotten into his latter day work which is quite good and proof that he was more than just a teen idol.

2141 likes this.
  8. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Both are equally great to me. :righton:

cwitt1980 and melstapler like this.
  9. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I invested in the Bear Family Rick Nelson Decca-era box set and it was one of the best things I ever did for my music collection. His country era stuff was fabulous. I don't think that Decca knew how to publicize him and I don't think that he had any "hits" during his Decca era.

10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

12. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Actually, ‘She Belongs To Me’ peaked at #33 in Jan. 1970 with the Stone Canyon Band, on the Decca label.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  13. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Thanks for this!
    I *think* that the bassist is Tim Cetera (brother of Chicago's Pete Cetera). Not much video of Tim during his very brief tenure in the Stone Canyon Band.

cwitt1980 and Witchy Woman like this.
  14. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

50s/early 60s :agree:

sean

15. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Ricky Nelson before he became Rick is his best.With James Burton on guitar they recorded some of the best most tasteful rockabilly ever waxed.Legendary Masters is hands down the best overview of Ricky Nelsons early career on any format IMO.Of course one has to have the single Garden Party to have a comprehensive Nelson collection.

Wombat Reynolds and Keith V like this.
  16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I like both!

17. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

[​IMG]

I love Poor Little Fool and Travelin' Man. Pop stuff for me.

sewerdog likes this.
  18. joepepitone

I just borrowed a Best of Ricky Nelson collection from my sister. The version of Garden Party must be the single version. It's quite different, a sparser arrangement, than the version on the LP. I like it. That must be what you are talking about, correct?

19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Yes that's it.Very good song but the 45 is much better IMO.

20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I agree

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Been watching YT clips of Rick & stumbled upon this one.

Darryl

John B Good and Comet01 like this.
  22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I kind of think of there being three eras of Rick; early/Imperial, Decca, and the rest. There is great stuff in all eras. The Decca releases are still often overlooked.

23. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

He made great records for someone who was supposed to be nothing more than a manufactured teen idol. Flawless vocal delivery.

Always loved this Dylan quote:

“He sang his songs calm and steady like he was in the middle of a storm, men hurling past him. His voice was sort of mysterious and made you fall into a certain mood. I’d always felt kin to him. In a few years’ time he’d record some of my songs, make them sound like they were his own, like he had written them himself. He eventually did write one himself and mentioned my name in it. The thing was that Ricky was still making records and that’s what I wanted to do, too.

ChazFromCali, carlwm and beccabear67 like this.
  24. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

And James on a Rickenbacker!!

25. adad

adad Forum Resident

Both
    love this song

Comet01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.