Popping noise when drop needle

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Christopher Lauher, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Guys and Girls
    just a quick question as i have searched the forum and can't find this anywhere, i have noticed lately when i lower my needle to play my records, i get a huge pop noise and then everything is fine once it hits the first groove, i have no idea what this could be from any suggestions or help i would greatly appreciate, only happens when i first start the record.

2. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

It could be static, or it could also be that your anti-skate is too low. Do you have static issues with your records? Does the needle look like it gets yanked inward when you drop it?

Leonthepro and AcidPunk15 like this.
  3. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

that sounds like textbook static build up. Try Investing in a zero stat gun

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  4. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Maybe you need to reconsider your stylus’s diet?

Oh, I thought you said “pooping noise”. Nevermind.

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. Christopher Lauher

Hahahahahahahahahahaha I think it is static thanks guys

Exotiki and crispi like this.
  6. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

You are quite welcome

7. Christopher Lauher

Hi guys another quick question, can some record players develop more static electricity then others? And how do you guys clean the outer rim of your records

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Outer rim? Are you referring to the side of the record where the needle will never touch and where records are usually handled?

[​IMG]

If so, there is no need to clean that part at all.

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. Christopher Lauher

No the part were you drop the needle

10. Christopher Lauher

What is that called? Sorry for ignorance

11. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Lead in groove

12. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Strange, that popping noise is happen every time the stylus is hitting the record surface and slide into the groove. If the anti-skate setting is too low or the lowering speed of the arm is too high, that pop sounds louder in the left channel. It happens anywhere and anytime. It is not abnormal. :goodie:

13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I have two sophisticated 80s Japanese linear tracking P-mount tables that mute the signal until after the needle drops in the groove. I almost never hear the "pop" of the stylus catching the groove on these two tables. It's actually something I like a lot about them. Press "play" and it's like a CD or streaming device - the music just starts. .....also - very little IGD but that's a subject for another thread.

14. Christopher Lauher

could it be my inner sleeves I have played a couple of records with inners sleeves that are not mofi and absolutely no pop. And then go back to the records that have mofi sleeves pop, I just got a new stand and grounded some new things. I think it is my inner sleeves, do mofi sleeves have trouble with static, besides mofi what are good inner sleeves

15. Christopher Lauher

I am literally drawing straws at this point lol

16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My Pioneer PL-3000, while far from sophisticated, has that same feature.

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

If this is in fact static on the LP I can tell you what I do. I Very Lightly mist a microfiber cloth with static guard and clean as normal. Or I again VERY LIGHTLY mist a disc washer brush with static guard and wipe the lp as it rotates on the platter.
    This works much like Gruv Glide.

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. Christopher Lauher

Hi guys just a little bit of an update, I got a new stand and made sure that both the stand and turntable are level, I have been playing records for about three days no pop, I hope I have solved the problem fingers crossed. I had a couple pops cleaned the records one more time and no pop. Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. Christopher Lauher

not such a good update, the pops have come back not all of the time like before though, i def think it is static, i have come to two conclusions from talking to a lot of people, i am going to change my inner sleeves, the mofi sleeves are suppose to be the best but not in dry climates, but they can be hit and miss with static, i think i got the miss lol, also i am going to have to break down and get a cleaning machine, again spin clean works great some people, but for me it is a static magnet, plus do i air dry or dry with a towel very very frustrating again guys thank you so much for your help and tips

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why not just get a humidifier? Fix the problem at the source.

21. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

Ever since I was taught how to play my vinyls in the 60s, I've always had the volume at 0 until the needle's in the groove. THEN you turn it up. If you were to adopt this method, your "problem" wouldn't be a problem at all.

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Vinyls is not a word.

astro70 likes this.
  23. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

If it's not a word, then it doesn't exist. Yet, somehow you saw it and were able to complain. Ah, the conundrums of life...

24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The singular and plural are the same, vinyl. How's that for a conundrum?

25. Christopher Lauher

Come on guys let’s not fight, I just need help no fighting. I just don’t understand it pops only sometimes now, I will go three or 4 records and no pop I think the problem is solved and then pop back, I really want to invest in a RCM because I heard the spin clean might be the problem. But they are super expensive, and if I buy one and it doesn’t solve the problem, the zerostat to me is expensive and again, if it doesn’t solve the problem I’m out money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.