Popping noise when drop needle

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Christopher Lauher, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Wet washing your records with something like a Spin Clean gets rid of built up static (and surface dirt of course).

You don't have any of your equipment listed on your profile so no-one can say for sure whether it's your turntable but I'm guessing it's not helping. The last time I had chronic static problems was when I had a cheap Denon with a metal platter and rubber mat.
    My current 'table has a glass platter and the one before that, an acrylic platter, no static issues (and all my records have been cleaned in a Spin Clean).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident Thread Starter

My record player, was over a thousand dollars that is really expensive to me, think I’m going to get a RCM and see what happens, and there is only a pop when I drop the needle, the rest of the time it sounds awesome.

3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I just keep a little bottle of distilled water to spritz my Hunt brush with a very fine mist to get rid of static, another stiff nylon brush to clean the dust from the Hunt and to make sure the water vapor is spread evenly before wiping the record, just about free except for the Hunt brush, though there are cheaper alternatives, I've used a few others in the past ... the key is to use a bottle with a very fine spray, almost like an atomizer ...

[​IMG]

4. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Good to hear. Care to tell us what it is? Also is it grounded properly?

The Spin Clean won't cause static btw, the static will discharge the moment the record touches the water.

5. Christopher Lauher

It’s a mofi studio deck, with a 2m bronze, I thought it was my player at first, but I took it back to the place I bought it, and he played several records and dropped the needle and no pop. I just have ground wire from my turntable to my preamp. Should I maybe have the torn arm raised or lowered? Or something?

6. Christopher Lauher

Do you think it could be my ground wire, I spent over 30 dollars for it? Like I said in the beginning I’m just drawing straws, it is super annoying though

7. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Nice table, it might just be that your home or environment is more conducive to static because of dry air, air conditioning, type of furniture etc. In this case a humidifier can help reduce static electricity in the home I believe.
    I guess Arizona's pretty dry?

8. Christopher Lauher

Who cares if it is a nice table if it has a pop like a shotgun blast every time I use it lol, do you think a humidifier will really work? Are they expensive to run all the time? And were exactly should I put it, also what kind should I get? Also do you think an RCM would help?

9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Try touching the tone arm and spindle at the same time before lowering the tone arm.

Do you use a platter mat?

10. Christopher Lauher

No this turn table does not need a mat, I’ve touched everything lol

11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I don't care if you've touched everything I want you to do it exactly as I stated, touch them at the same time.

It's not a matter if you think it does or not. A mat could help with static issues and may also improve the sound.

12. Christopher Lauher

Okay I will try it thanks

13. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Personally I don't think a different record cleaner will help, as I said the Spin Clean is a wet washer which by its nature will completely discharge a record that has static build up.

Your table has a Delrin platter which should also actually help prevent static build-up on your records, you could try a very thin cork mat like the Pro-ject Cork-IT or similar but that might actually make it worse if the record isnt sitting on the Delrin.

There's plenty of small, cheap room humidifiers available (on certain giant online retailers for example).

14. Christopher Lauher

What kind of mat would you suggest?

15. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Fixed.

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're doing this all wrong. If you want to throw money around randomly, that's your business. But if you do it smart, you buy a $10 device to measure the humidity in the room. If it's below 40%, there's your answer ; lack of humidity.

If that happens, you can buy many RCMs and gadgets of all kinds but you'll still end up with that problem. Sure, a humidifier isn't a sexy cool fun purchase but if it solves the problem because it's an inherent lack of humidity that's the root cause, isn't that the purpose of this thread? Or do you just want to spend hundreds to get a new toy?

vinnn likes this.
  17. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Agreed.
    I'll reiterate that I think the humidifier's the most sensible option after seeing that OP lives in Arizona, that must be quite dry.
    There's plenty of cheap compact units available, just don't be sticking scents and essential oils in one that's in same room as your gear and records.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  18. Christopher Lauher

Okay guys I just bought one of those gadget things to check, I will update as soon as it comes in

19. Christopher Lauher

How long does the humidifier usually take to kick in?

20. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

It's called a scratch.

21. machinestool

machinestool Forum Resident

While this will not solve your problem, it will help to not damage your records. Set your needle first into a groove then turn on the record player.

22. Strat-Mangler

What gadget? Are you referring to a meter to measure humidity?

A humidifier immediately kicks in when it's activated. However, depending on the type of humidifier, its performance, and the size of the room, it can take quite some time before noticing a difference. In some rooms, I've had to wait 1-2h before I saw a noticeable difference.

I eventually upgraded my furnace with a humidifier so the whole house could be taken care of quicker and more efficiently. One of the best purchases we've ever made. It was dry down to 12% humidity in our house in the winter. The humidifier kept us at a steady 45%, right in the middle of the optimal range for being comfortable.

I believe I've read a number of times that is not recommended although I forget why.

What I used to do was press on the Mute button, drop the stylus onto the LP, then press the Mute button again. Super quick and easy to do. The reason I did that was because of a pop I'd get through my speakers from my VPI Prime motor when it would be powered on. Now that I've switched phono preamps, that issue is no longer there and there's no need to do so anymore.

23. Christopher Lauher

It’s def not scratches, so I am going to try the humidifier and hopefully that works, my rooms are very small, I only have a one bedroom apt, I have records in one room, and system in the next

24. Strat-Mangler

Please quote the person you're responding to! Otherwise, it makes it quite tedious and occasionally impossible to understand whom you're addressing.

Click the "Quote" button at the bottom-right of the post you're replying to, then the Insert Quotes button at the bottom-left of the text box in which you'd write.

25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This is one case where an equipment profile would answer a ton of questions in advance. This is like a guessing game.

vinnn and Strat-Mangler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.