Porcupine Tree new album - CLOSURE / CONTINUATION June 24 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

yes, aware. Also aware that since, Gavin joined KC. And if adding Levin, that would be how many KC members?

2. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident Thread Starter

I actually agreed with him because Raven was one of his best, then came HCE, which I consider to be his crowning achievement.
    But it started to sound a bit less sincere when he said pretty much the same thing when promoting TTB/TFB.
    He never half-assed anything in the last 20 years, so at least it'll be great.

3. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

I'm half-wondering whether I will be able to afford the record or be able to find a copy before it sells out or is bought up by scalpers. Much as I like them PT etc seem to be a premium priced collectors' club play.

4. Skylab

Skylab Arriving somewhere but not here

The standard black pressing is available for preorder for $29…pretty standard pricing for a new 2-LP release these days. The standard CD is $14.

walrus and obi like this.
  5. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

Thanks - that's comforting. I had seen £54.99 (equivalent to over $70 for you guys) on one website but that's evidently the version with lots of coloured cardboard and pictures. Yes, elsewhere there seem to be standard black ones for £21.99 which is all I really want in life :)

Skylab likes this.
  6. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

The deluxe vinyl adds an 'LP' with two songs and, as you say, lots of cardboard and pictures. That sounds like a 12" single to me, hence the quote marks. They've got plenty of time to order vinyl copies of the standard 2 LP to be printed up in advance, once they know demand.

7. ThinWhiteDuke.

ThinWhiteDuke. Forum Resident

Given the deluxe CD set contains all the bonus tracks, Blu ray Atmos mix, instrumentals etc.. the vinyl set seems rather disappointing.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Of course. I just think that we, the listeners, have to take those kinds of comments with a grain of salt.

Skylab likes this.
  9. Skylab

I agree in that for any of us, only we can decide how we feel about any given album, and that’s the only thing that matters to us as listeners, for sure. But I don’t take umbrage with musicians being very proud of their latest work, that’s all.

Playloud likes this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

True. When I comment on it, I am more or less poking fun at it being another musician calling their latest album their best, but, yes, in the grand scheme, it's not a big deal.

Skylab likes this.
  11. ThinWhiteDuke.

ThinWhiteDuke. Forum Resident

12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

St. Troy likes this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Sure. But it just doesn't really mean anything, because of course they're going to say that (and of course they're going to feel the most excited about the latest thing).

Honestly, I'd find it kind of refreshing if an artist was like "look, you and I both know this isn't the best thing we've ever done, because it can't compete with your nostalgia and because it's unlikely i'll top whatever I did in my 20's. But it's still pretty good and we're proud of it!"

I mean, I'm always interested in new music from old favorites, whether it's the new Abba or the upcoming Megadeth or the final Stones album we may or may not get one day. And if they were honest about it, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. None of them are gonna be "Waterloo" or Rust In Peace or Exile, and they don't have to be to be really enjoyable. But when I see stuff like the pre-release interviews by Dream Theater for their new album and they're talking about how it's the most mind-blowing thing they've ever done, and then it ends up sounding exactly like every other record they've made in the last 10-15 years, you kind of just become numb to the whole thing. A little honesty wouldn't be the worst thing.

Thorpy, bobloblaw and craigobau like this.
  14. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I don't really want to hear another single before this thing is out, so I probably won't bother. Just wish the release date was sooner.

Alan57, bobloblaw, Renz and 3 others like this.
  15. Skylab

JayB and HotelYorba101 like this.
  16. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

Completely agree

Ristifer and Leroyd like this.
  17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I think a more honest answer might be something like "I think this album is as good as any we've done".

18. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

Didn't Rush already do that?

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Same. I honestly wish they hadn't announced it until the release date/week. Don't tell me about an album I can't hear for months.

Ristifer and rockclassics like this.
  20. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Agreed but this is how one generates hype, the proof of which is this and other threads discussing the upcoming album.
    I look forward to its release but not holding my breath. I am a huge PT fan, but not so much a fan of Steven Wilson's solo material and was quite deflated having attended one of his gigs a couple of years back. If the next PT album is heavily influenced by the direction that Wilson has been going in, in recent years, it is likely I will be out.
    PT live, was the best gig I have ever been to and I have been going to gigs for over 40 years. I am struck by Colin Edwin's absence from the new line up and this will likely contribute to PT having a different sound than heretofore. Edwin's laid back style and groove was very significant and if his replacement is going to be 'slappy-tappy' and busy in nature, then it is likely that I will be underwhelmed. Regarding the upcoming album, my position is wait and see.

Aggie87 and rockclassics like this.
  21. MrCJF

Steven Wilson has said words to that effect in at least one interview I've read - something like "Everyone loves what the artist was doing when they first discovered them, so they aren't going to like the new, different, work as much as the artist does" That's certainly borne out by reactions to The Future Bites and To The Bone.

Skylab and St. Troy like this.
  22. MrCJF

Further to the above, do any of us (lets say over 40s) really want to be judged on the work we did in our twenties? Do any of us think we have not improved or developed in our professions since then? If people kept harping on about what we did back then, wouldn't we consider them a bit weird?

shadowlizard and LivingForever like this.
  23. MrCJF

I've not seen PT or SW live, but going by the DVDs I have, Beggs and Edwin are very different players, and your right that Edwin's laid back style is a big factor. Putting Beggs on stage with PT would change the music a lot. Maybe they don't need a "name" on bass, as long as they could find someone to be faithful to the sound of both Edwin's and Wilson's original bass parts.

Leroyd and Aggie87 like this.
  24. George Co-Stanza

Mark me down as another who doesn't want to hear any more songs before the album is released, especially given how far out it is. I listened to the first song once and have not gone back. I don't want to be familiar with too much of the album before getting to hear it all.

SJP, Thorpy, Leroyd and 4 others like this.
  25. MrCJF

Wilson said there would be two songs previewed in addition to Harridan, so 3 out of 7 total, which may be just under or just over half the album depending on track lengths. I'd be interested in actual physical releases of singles with b-sides, but it sounds like that won't happen.