Porcupine Tree new album - CLOSURE / CONTINUATION June 24 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Nov 1, 2021.

1. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

I didn't have this issue (I didn't use PayPal) but as I do live in the US and have successfully placed a preorder, I can tell you TM definitely delivers to the US (looks like PayPal is having brain cramps).

2. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

No problems here, Mike. I placed an order with Townsend / Paypal about two hours ago and just placed a second one. Both went through without a hitch.

3. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Just listened to Harridan. Very good stuff.

New experience to me; this is the first PT album I've ever "anticipated" (I first heard the band after The Incident was already out).

4. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

I did not order vinyl, but had no problems with Townshend or PayPal for the deluxe disk box.

5. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Thanks.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Okay, but also...JUNE?

I really hate this super-long rollout thing. Wish they'd just announce albums like, the week they're coming out.

7. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Love the new song but I'm disappointed that ordering a deluxe set from the official site didn't result in a download for it.

I'm also slightly miffed that they started pre-orders when it was still very early in the morning here in the U.S. and so I didn't even know there had been signed copies until someone mentioned it here.

RaceBannon likes this.
  8. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I prefer SW solo to PT but got to admit this new song sounds fantastic!

9. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Before I get out of bed each morning, I grab my iPad and see what’s happening in the world... mainly the world of music. It’s usually a leisurely stroll through the news.

I saw the PT release story and figured maybe I should get out of bed a little quicker and place a pre-order for the 5.1/Atmos/CD version at Burning Shed. Already sold out.

So I ordered from PT. Yes, expensive. Yes, I probably should have waited for other sources that will be cheaper. No, I didn’t have the willpower to wait.

An expensive Monday morning, but I am as excited as someone can be for something not coming out until June of 2022.

(Also during my news stroll I saw the news of Malcolm Dome’s passing. RIP, Malcom.)

10. Harry42

Harry42 Forum Resident

For me, the song feels like something that would fit on Raven (Luminol, Holy Dinker) - but with the instrumental sound of PT.

Very nice:righton:

And in minute 6 we have a little bit of a Personal Shopper:winkgrin:

Dark_Matter, Miles1968 and Skylab like this.
  11. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

SO happy to hear this!

12. d0rky

d0rky Well-Known Member

i zonked out moments before this announcement. to hear they had autographed versions...ARGHH!!!.. still groggy from waking up but went ahead and p.o the deluxe vinyl box.

13. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

Finally some Monday morning news worth getting excited over. New track sounds pretty good. Looking forward to surround mix!

J_Surround likes this.
  14. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Bummed I missed the white vinyl on burningshed. Shipping rates from the PT store are horrible.

15. Jwag1

Jwag1 Forum Resident

Ordered the standard CD & Deluxe vinyl. No problems ordering here in U.S.

16. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I got excited and then heard we have Barbieri and Harrison

Then I heard the single, and it's like they never left. Cannot wait even if Edwin isn't here - the chemistry these guys have is amazing

Miles1968, Skylab and CHALKERS like this.
  17. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Well, I'm waiting. I put the bluray box at $76 in the cart and was ready to pull the trigger, but the combo of another $24 for shipping AND having to pay eight months in advance put me off.

18. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

I've yet to hear the track but I'm SO glad I'm hearing positive things from people. I posted here a while ago that I'd prefer it if Porcupine Tree didn't get back together again, however now that they have I feel like they've somehow filled a hole that I didn't know needed filling. I really have missed these guys. I still think Steven's solo work is sensational though (and may be in the minority for loving TTB and I really enjoyed TTB).

19. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I'm still anticipating The Last Day of June vinyl coming at the end of the month, so I'm going to start ignoring this release for a while.

I don't think I'll be ordering it this side of Easer 2022.

20. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

You gotta respect Wilson for giving the people what they want. The long awaited reunion of a beloved band? Check! The cryptic announcements on social media leading to a new album and tour? Check! The plethora of formats and purchasing options a la Personal Shopper? Check! He even poked fun at all of us with the last album, and we still can’t get enough. I love it. In a complicated world, this is pure pleasure.

Thorpy, blind_melon1, Tyler and 2 others like this.
  21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Dunno

Perhaps because Nick wanted to record the Trifecta album and other projects

While the other musicians have been pretty steady for over 10 years (with the exception of Craig Blundell replacing Gary O'Toole), bass players have been rotating in and out in the Steve Hackett band, including Nick Beggs and Roine Stolt.

When I saw him live in 2015, Lee Pomeroy was the bassist

Rufus rag likes this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

True. Just seems like a pretty steady, reasonably lucrative gig by prog standards, that's all.

23. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

Absolutely stupid that they send out emails for a limited edition preorder early in the am, which means Europeans and those on the US East Coast are obviously going to see it before those of us in the midwest/west. How about a day or 2 warning time so everyone has the same shot dopes? So BS was sold out of all the deluxe stuff when I checked as soon as possible.

Then I had to go searching on forums to find out further info. Saw the link to this new Townsend site, and see its about $25 for shipping to the US. The only advantage I see in ordering there is if you want a better chance at tix to the UK/Euro tour.

I checked jpc and they have the deluxe cd/BR listed, so I placed a preorder there for 56 euros total including shipping, which is about $65 US. Bingo. Also placed a pre order at another Mom/Pop place I use from time to time just in case. I'm not paying $25 shipping fees. And an 8 month preorder is silly putty.

But, glad to see we're finally getting some PT again. Its been 20 years since I first saw them live at the 2001 NearFest, where they melted my brain!

Rufus rag likes this.
  24. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

+1

I have said previously "Porcupine who?" given how much I have loved the trajectory of SW's solo career but this news out of left field left me feeling exactly as you put it. The new song is a monster with unmistakable Richard & Gavin contributions (with some TFB sequencer action as has been mentioned previously).

I pre-ordered the deluxe vinyl and CD sets.

As for speculation on the bass, it certainly sounds like Nick Beggs or someone of his caliber. If it is in fact SW, he can play a pretty mean bass himself! As for Nick's touring availability and the Steve Hackett gig, it seems to me Hackett has been employing Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings) more of late than Nick. This is pure recollection rather than research so I may be recalling incorrectly.

25. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Yeah, when I first listened to it I thought it sounded more early SW solo than PC. No complaints here though! They must be expecting this to big as the UK gig is an arena!