PORCUPINE TREE's 'In Absentia' deluxe edition coming soon.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam Pajda, Jun 14, 2019.

1. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

If in Absentia is comming the Deadwing will come 100% for sure. I think that Steven has been quite good at keeping his older catalogue alive over the years. It may have slowed in the years where he has become a more recognised name but archive stuff keeps comming.

Gone are the days of three or four Steven Wilson related releases a year though I think

2. Probably right, but I've heard there could be some No-Man coming in 4Q or 1Q. He's discussed starting work on material for the next solo album, too, but I suspect he won't rush it. This next album is really important for the commercial aspect of his solo career. I think any backlash from "To the Bone" will be felt on that one rather than on "To the Bone," which sold well.

3. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The Incident was a band that had began to run out of inspiration/ideas? It is probably why Steven Wilson decided to go on his own. I would not be surprised if the band clashed during the making of The Incident. I found it underwhelming. An idea that just went no where. The song 'Time Flies' is magnificent however.

Plan9, bobloblaw, jmpatrick and 3 others like this.
  4. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

To The Bone had some very good singles - I actually enjoy this type of songwriting as he's fine at it, not to mention I never felt like he cared if his music sold or not, his best selling work is as good as some his work that nobody is aware of.

Rufus rag likes this.
  5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Let me know when they do a deluxe edition of Fear of a Blank Planet, because this is my favorite PT album, although I do like The Sky Moves Sideways and Lightbulb Sun a lot as well. In Absentia has some great material, but I wouldn’t call it a favorite and the same could be said for Deadwing.

TheSeldomSeenKid and DesertChaos like this.
  6. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Taking the contents of In Absentia and Deadwing (and the already released extra stuff from them) and coming up with a single album may be an interesting thread to try...

Mirror Image likes this.
  7. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

That would be interesting, but I wouldn’t even participate, because I haven’t heard In Absentia and Deadwing in such a long time that I don’t really remember what pieces I liked/disliked, which actually brings me to another point about both of these albums: they lack memorability, IMHO.

8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yes, if you express the term, "brickwalled," you are assured at least 3 likes.

9. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

My faves from them might be pretty easy to pick - sequencing them into a coherent flow for a single album would be the trick!

Mirror Image likes this.
  10. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

I've only ever listened to the 5.1 version of In Absentia from the DVD-A, and the dynamics of this are not too bad (DR11).

So I'm always initially surprised when someone calls this album brickwalled - until I remember that this is very true for the 2002 CD (DR7).

jacek2 likes this.
  11. manco

manco Forum Resident

This album is brickwalled because of his move at the time to Lava Records. I hope this upcoming reissue is remastered with full dynamic range. The opening track Blackest Eyes is especially a good candidate.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Actually, it sounds like a band overflowing with ideas to me. I'm sure Wilson cracked how to present them all, but the idea of a sustained album song cycle with no breaks (a bit like Thick As A Brick) isn't a bad one, and there is some great stuff on The Incident.

I'll never understand why nearly every Porcupine Tree fan underrates that album, it's insane. I hope that gets a nice 2xLP pressing in a few years because I will buy it for sure.

Lucca90, Swisstrips and LivingForever like this.
  13. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

As much as I enjoy the album itself, I have played it to death.

The b-sides to this album were really interesting too, Chloroform in particular. It would be cool if there were more. Saying that, I have the DVD-A so won't buy the album again.

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Same for me, as the only PT Album I loved from their Heavy Rock period was FOABP, as that Album worked for me as I am not a Metal Head. I did not even buy 'Deadwing' until about 2 years ago just based on the description(another Metal Rock Type Album), and skip the first 2 Songs, but there are a few Good Songs on the Album(of course 'Lazarus' is Awesome, as SW does Great Ballads).

Along with 'FOABP', I am more of a Fan of 'Up the Downstair', 'Signify' and 'The Sky Moves Sideways' first, then 'Stupid Dream'(more of A Pop Song Direction) and 'Recordings'(B-Sides from that time period-IIRC), then liked 'Lightbulb Sun' even though it was the start of some of the Hard Rock Songs, that Album had enough variety for me.

I actually enjoy 'Voyage 34'(suppose to simulate and LSD Trip) and 'On a Sunday of Life'. 'We Lost the Skyline' CD that was a recording done at a Record Store stop(Orlando, Florida?) is a nice one to also have in my SW Collection.

'The Incident' was not too good overall, but to be fair, I have not listened to it since the year it came out and should revisit that Album. At that time, I was tired of the Hard Metal Sound, so got into Blackfield I & II and 'Live from NYC', to get some much needed melody in SW's Music into my Collection.

Then stayed on Board buying all the Albums under his SW Name with the Revolving Band Members ever since the first Solo Album(Insurgents).

Being a Fan, I am sure I will end up buying the Deluxe Sets for 'In Absentia' and 'Deadwing' despite being my least favorite Albums, if for no other Reason to at least get the Better ReMastering and maybe some of the B-Sides, and Live Versions will interest me.

I love 'To The Bone' and 'Hand Cannot Erase' so much, I went back earlier this year to pay extra on the Secondary Market for the Deluxe Box Sets for those Albums. 'To The Bone' Deluxe Set was being sold by a lot of money for a New Copy, but I got lucky and got one for a decent price(considering the Prices on other Available New Copies) winning an Ebay Auction.

I really like his Second Album(Grace for Drowning) under his SW Name. Some Great Ballads on there with ''Deform to Form a Star' and 'Postcard'. But he created his Best Song with 'Drive Home'-IMO(although 'The Raven That Refused to Sing' was a little too Proggy for me, and his Prog-Rock I enjoyed more on 'Hand Cannot Erase'-his Masterpiece Album-IMO).

Apparently, his next Solo Album is going to be more Electronic Based Music(maybe more like Bass Communion or No-Man?). That ought to purge his Metal Head PT Fans on this Forum, who did not even like one Catchy Dance Song(Permanating) on 'To The Bone', but they can go back to their RUSH and King Crimson Albums.

I do wish SW would put out a BluRay Concert from the Delerium Years, like maybe from the 'Coma Divine' Live Album, since he released 2 BluRay Concerts from his PT Metal-Rock Era already. I prefer the Pink Floyd Atmospheric and other type of Music SW was making under the PT Name in the 1990s.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    SJP and Rufus rag like this.
  15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

No way in a million years Steven Wilson's next solo album will be anything like Bass Communion ... it would kill his commercial success stone dead. It's more likely to sound like Tangerine Dream since he always seems to pick up a discernible influence from things he recently remixed ... although if that is true then maybe it will sound like In Absentia. :confused:

16. TheSeldomSeenKid

IDK-I just read(thought it was an interview with SW) that the next Album will be more Electronic Based, so I can see the connection to Tangerine Dream. Although, I was hoping to get more into his 1980s Influences for his next Album, but I am on board no matter what direction he head into on his next Album.

17. Eleventh Earl of Mar

In Absentia is a fantastic record and Permanating is a great song. This forum doesn't really do the whole "prog snob" thing in general. That generalization is also really odd, since the "heavy" Porcupine Tree albums aren't even the most experimental.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  18. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Stupid Dream is still my favorite PT but I love In Absentia and it had great B-sides and demos. Looking fwd to this!

19. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I just hope the focus will be on studio material. Not a remastered edition of the album, 1 cd of b-sides and a 2002/2003 era concert on the remaining two cd's.

20. jacek2

jacek2 Forum Resident

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

21. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I have the 2002 pressing and I think DR7 is the absolute max I can tolerate for a full listen, Deadwing sounded worse and it's harder to get through on headphones.

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Sweet. I’ll be get these again remastered. I don’t think there’s any artist that does as good a job keeping back catalogue in print and low priced as SW and Burning Shed.

23. I agree, and I also liked it. Was only referring to what may be a bigger market trend. We’ll see. He’s got a big enough core of fans that I think nite I’ll be fine.

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

Think you are mixing up 'Prog' in my Post with the PT 'Metal' Sound(that I assume you are referring to when you used the word 'Heavy') that I mentioned which was the direction on 'In Absentia' and 'Deadwing' that I did not care as much compared to most of the Delerium Years Albums, although like I mentioned, I think 'FOABP' is one of SW's Best Albums, so the 'Metal'(or 'Heavy' Sound, if you prefer that term), worked for me, especially the Final Song, 'Sleep Together', which I am glad he played when I saw him on the 'To The Bone' Tour, as it is one of his Best Songs-IMO.

I did not notice SW doing Prog-Rock until the 2nd Album(Grace for Drowning) under his Solo Name that continued on his next 2 Albums. I enjoyed some of those Songs, but mostly on 'Hand Cannot Erase' Album, but glad SW switched Directions again with 'To The Bone', while still creating Awesome Ballads. Although, I still never was able to determine the 1980s Music Artists influences he mentioned(Tears for Fears?-I did just buy the Box Set for 'Songs From the Big Chair' that he Remixed though) when creating 'To The Bone', as most of the Songs still sounded like 'SW' to me. I would actually love to hear SW create an Album with Peter Gabriel and Talk Talk influences, along with a few other 1980s Music Artists(The CURE, Echo & the Bunnymen, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Spacemen 3, or if he really wants to make a 1980s 'Pop' Album, The Cars).

I would love to see SW create a FUNK Album(MUSE did it for 1 Song-'Supermassive Black Hole'), since he seems to always hire Great Musicians and would love to hear what Songs he would create with a Bootsy Collins Type Bass and a Horn Section, but as I mentioned in a prior post here, thought U read that his Next Album would be more Electronic Based(maybe since he just finished Remixing a Few Tangerine Dream Albums for the now Released Box Set(In Search of Hades).

Yo Steve, call up Dr. Funkenstein to bounce a few ideas off of him, while we are still lucky that he & Bootsy Collins are among the living(and while you are at it, see if you can get permission to Remix all P-FUNK Albums).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Bfunkthe1 likes this.
  25. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I'm down for an electronic, no vocal album.

The Sky Moves Sideways is my absolute favorite record from Porcupine Tree just due to how much was taken from stuff like Tangerine Dream - it actually reminds me a lot of their more melodic Virgin albums, with distinct parts in long suites. Knowing he's big into Schulze would be something I'd love to hear if he went all in but he'd have to make it a side thing without pissing off way too many people.

Oh and, listen to Permanating once more. ABBA was cited as the influence on that one, and if you're familiar with how Andersson and Ulvaeus arranged songs it definitely sounds familiar.