PORCUPINE TREE's 'In Absentia' deluxe edition coming soon.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam Pajda, Jun 14, 2019.

1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Did not get to correct my mistake in time but meant 'I' and not 'U' in the part I copied here(the U being next to the I on the Keyboard, just hit the wrong key).

2. I think the biggest “backlash” from To The Bone is that it has greatly expanded his audience.Friends of mine who I haven’t been able to sell on him before absolutely loved it.If a few of his cult audience didn’t like it that number is easily exceeded by the number of people who have got on the bus because of it.
    I think To The Bone is a great album -Steven’s equivalent of So- and while I’m sure the new album won’t be a Part 2 he won’t be going back to a prog past.

mcwlod, trickness and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. Let's go for 9.

Brickwalled, Brickwalled, brickwalled.

Rickrollled.

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Other than “Pariah” being vaguely influenced by “Don't Give Up” I don't get the similarity but SW mentioned it in the pre-publicity and it seems to have stuck. I say he should go for it and say that his next album is based on Kind Of Blue.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. Swisstrips

Swisstrips Forum Resident

Totally agree. Honestly to categorize one album over another is futile :) One could breakdown each album and to me there really isn't a bad one in the bunch, especially "un-listenable". To each his own, I get it and one really needs to listen to them as asking for opinions on which is better is really impossible.

When the drum throne went from Chris to Gavin, that was one of the most significant changes in their entirety. Neither better or worse, just very different, especially in their kit sound/tuning/style. Two incredible players and are world class musicians. Although being a drummer, I do like Gavin's sound which maybe in part to him recording/mixing a lot of his kit. On the other hand Chris also has a distinct sound immediately recognizable with PT and in his other collaborations. Not easy to pull off.

I sure hope one day they put out a new album. They have been apart long enough.

6. laether

laether Forum Resident

Yes, standalone blu-ray please! Cant wait for this!

jacek2 likes this.
  7. I am OK with that. I like his prog side very much, but my first introduction was more of the beats and art-rock side in No-Man.

8. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I couldn’t disagree more. I think To The Bone was a subpar album and showed a degradation of Wilson’s compositional talents. I also dislike Ninet Tayeb --- one of the worst vocalists I’ve heard in a long-time. She’s no better than one of those wannabes that get up on those shows like American Idol or The Voice.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I thought Song of I was one of the best things he's done - that video screams decadent.

lennonology and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  10. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I couldn't disagree more with your disagreement. :)

Much like his more song-based efforts of the past, including Lightbulb Sun and Blackfield II, To The Bone shows Wilson in full control of his compositional skills. He shows his mastery of imagery and storytelling in songs of widely varying lengths and content. The record is also ironically more "Steven" than anything he's done under his own name in the past, as he intentionally tones down some of the virtuosity of his hired guns and instead chooses contributions that better fit the tone and feel he was going for. Every song on the album works for me--even the dreaded "pop song" with the Bollywood dancers.

That said, I still prefer his two previous solo efforts and listen to them more often.

11. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

We’ll agree to disagree then. :)

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

Also 'Song of Unborn'-IMO
    Really, I think 'To The Bone' is a Great Album, and most of the songs have held up well over repeated listens the past 2 years. I still can't get 'The Same Asylum as Before' out of my Head-In a Good Way.

mcwlod, SJP and Olias of Sunhill like this.
  13. Well agree to disagree also.I guess my opinion is the mirror image of yours.

14. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I've always felt that the original mastering of In Absentia suited the material just fine. I have the recent LP release with the new mastering, and while it does breathe somewhat more I find it somehow inferior to the cut I bought on release day.

15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Even though he poached Stranger By The Minute? I liked that about the song for about a minute. The familiarity was comforting. It is now one of my least favorite songs from To The Bone.

16. TheSeldomSeenKid

Well, if you are going to sample another Song, might as well be one of your own, so you do not need to pay off someone else.

SJP likes this.
  17. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Stranger By The Minute could of been on any given rock chart at the time... really the fact none of the songs from that period didn't blow up is unfortunate, that was likely the closest Wilson ever got to breaking into the charts.g

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    SirMarc and SJP like this.
  18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

And don't get me wrong, I love Stranger By The Minute. One of my first favorite PTree songs, especially given that Stupid Dream was my gateway into the SW rabbit hole.

As for charting, didn't no-man's Days In The Trees do pretty well? I'm not sure if it generated some cash and/or notoriety which helped to propel his vision for Porcupine Tree (perhaps an urban legend from the early days of the internet) but the timeline kind of works. But later on, you'd think that the run of albums from In Absentia through The Incident would have bothered the modern album charts of the day.

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Odd, I didn't hear Stranger by the Minute in there, but rather Prodigal, specifically the outro.

20. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Stand-alone blu-ray would be great, but box sets make more profit, so they will probably go only with that.

I could be wrong though - they have already released the vinyl, it would make sence business wise to release digital first, so then vinyl fans would buy both.

21. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

Hhmm...I've got the DVD-A with 5.1 already plus the double vinyl from Tonefloat from a few years back! There has got to be some decent hitherto unreleased stuff on this release to lure me into buying this AGAIN!

22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I totally have to disagree on that one! She is far from a wannabe, in both songwriting skills and vocal ability. Her solo work is fantastic, especially if you check out the song Elinor off her last album it is hard rocking and far from the manufactured pop you get from anyone coming from those shows

LivingForever and ds58 like this.
  23. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Who are you referring to here?

24. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Uh... Ninet Tayeb?

25. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

It’s very clear from the quote. Unless you happen to have @Mirror Image blocked. Do you see the quote that @HotelYorba101 included?