Ported speakers with subwoofers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Earthbound2, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think I may be guilty of the “need it to sound better” syndrome. It sounds awesome. I notice that the 300b has bass in songs that have bass. The push pull has bass all the time. Not sure that makes sense.
    I’m not sure if it’s a power thing to be honest. I’ve only used the 4 300 tube option a couple of times. Plenty loud with just 2. Also, the Gold Lion’s show more bass. I will probably break down and get 2 more WE’s and use in parallel with my current ones.
    I’m new to the tube amp world. I’m also very impulsive. Patience and tweaking a few things would probably be the better course of action. It’s why I started this thread. You guys telling me different options. :righton:

33na3rd and guestuser like this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Honestly Earthbound the E's are sensitive and easy to drive but still if you have satisfying bass with one amp and not the other it's the amp not the speakers. So reading your last post if your 300B amp has a parallel SET option try that for sure. That said running a quad of 300Bs can get $$ fast you may want to ultimately find a SET amp better suited to the Es. Not saying your current amp is bad at all but in terms of grunt and power supply not all SET amps are created equal. I'm not a sub guy and my Js give me plenty of bass I'm sure your E's will with the right amp.

Glmoneydawg and Earthbound2 like this.
  3. Earthbound2

Weird because my last stereo didn’t have as much bass. Perhaps due to hearing great bass now I want more. You mean there’s more than 1 note for a bass guitar?

4. Earthbound2

Out of curiosity, any ideas on what the 6sn7 line stage preamp will add? Excited to hear what it brings to the table.

5. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I have a highly symbiotic pairing of front-ported JBL L82's and a single sealed Rythmik L12. Rythmik subs are excellent. Articulate bass that can really impress. The L12 took me time to integrate but the Rythmik subs are very tunable and it's now seamless to my senses.
    Not even direct-servo powered drivers?

Earthbound2 likes this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

never heard one, they might be OK. the only "subwoofers" i have heard that were 100% integrated and perfectly on time with the music were powered speakers designed from the start to be part of the system. the golden ear triton reference for example had the best bass of any speaker in its class and beat a magico system including magico subwoofers. amazing bass on those ge powered woofers.

7. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I was just curious. The direct-servo technology is all about "fast bass" and being able to stop an excursion in less than a blink. Velodyne and Rythmik subs are direct-servo controlled, not sure which else. I've been very impressed w/ my Rythmik.

Earthbound2 and guestuser like this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have Rythmik subs and have considered selling them since they don’t blend as well with my Revel towers as I had hoped. The Revels extend pretty low on their own so don’t really need the subs. I would probably forego subs in your situation. That or buy a single sub capable of extending below 20Hz and cross it over as low as possible.

Earthbound2 likes this.
  9. Earthbound2

At this point, I’m going to wait to see what the new preamp adds to the sound. I’m also going to use corner placement and tubes to help the bass. Seems like the Audio Notes might not need the help from subs.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  10. harby

harby Forum Resident

Either main speaker likes to see an electronic high-pass crossover above its intrinsic roll-off frequency.

That's often not an option provided in the equipment complement one has assembled. Thus more distortion when the main speakers are still attempting to inefficiently reproduce bass where the sub should have completely taken over.

Often those who haven't designed speakers will pull some fallacy about ported speakers being "out of phase" out of one of their own ports. However there is actually just a small difference in phase response when comparing a sealed woofer to its respective ported alignment.

33na3rd and Earthbound2 like this.