Portland, OR Record Store Recommendations Update

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by EdogawaRampo, Jul 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll be in Portland toward the tail end of August and would like some info on good record stores to hit. I know there are past threads but they're pretty old at this point. My main interests are pop/rock/jazz fitting in with forum demographic -- 50s/60s/70s/80s. I'd also like to hit a store that has audiophile reissues and UK imports in stock -- new or used, if such a thing exists.

I might have time to visit some high end audio equipment shops too -- new or used.

Recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

steelydanguy likes this.
  2. Music Millennium carries MOFI reissues, not sure about other labels. Outside of that, I don't buy much there but I'm looking for different things than you are.

I like Tomorrow records for used stuff. They are mostly used, some new. Owner is a great guy. Check their instagram for a good idea of what comes in their door used. Login • Instagram

For equipment, I like Echo Audio but they are not in downtown. They're out a bit in the burbs. Echo Audio - Your source for the finest Home Audio and Hi-Fi Audio Equipment

3. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Music Millennium, 32nd & East Burnside - big full service store, been there since 1969. Disclaimer, I've worked there and am personal friends with the owner and many employees, past and present. Someone publishes a guide to the many stores in town, often available at stores. There's a new one about to open down the street from me on SE Milwaukie. You could spend days and not get to them all.

4. EdogawaRampo

Thanks for tips...I'll be checking them out.

5. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

Music Millennium is outstanding. Been going there for over 20 years- probably going today. Early on in the Covid Era they did personal shopping experience where for a $25 donation to a fund for musicians you got the whole store to yourself for one hour. One of the coolest experiences I ever had .

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

2nd avenue is the place to go for best prices on new vinyl. i love music millennium, but they rarely price competitively.

MarkO, googlymoogly and EdogawaRampo like this.
  7. EdogawaRampo

8. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

A relative of mine moved to Portland, Ore.., a few years ago and I have been able to visit them a couple of times, even during the pandemic.

If you're into CDs, Music Millennium is a really great store. It's huge and the stock is stellar. I did not spend much time going through the vinyl offerings, but I know they are plentiful as well. From my CD-centric point of view, Music Millennium has to be a top-10 store in the United States.

The next time I'm in Portland, I will have to visit some of the other record stores if I can find the time -- Music Millennium and Powell's Books tend to eat up a lot of it!

[​IMG]

ScramMan2 likes this.
  9. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Vinyl only? I buy a lot of CDs at Everyday Music, as it's closer to where I live. They carry lots of new and used vinyl. Lots of used CDs. Some new/used cassettes. When I've flipped through their newly arrived vinyl section, I've always seen good stuff (bought a few things for friends).
    It's about 3 blocks from the flagship Powell's bookstore, and there's a (new only) hifi shop some blocks north of EM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.