Possible alternative to Milty-type static gun...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phil Thien, Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was looking for a way to treat static w/o fluids. Aware of the Milty guns and considering purchasing one, I was reading-up on the principle of operation (piezo element, similar circuit to an igniter) and realized I have a cordless/rechargeable piezo igniter in my arsenal. So I got my worst-offender album out, verified it was still a static monster, and then held the igniter a few inches from the album and pulled the trigger for a revolution. Maybe 3-4 seconds. I did this in the kitchen, where I keep the igniter, holding the album in one hand and the igniter in the other.

Back to the turntable and I can't even seemingly recharge the album using dry brushes/pads, it is completely static-free.

Needs more testing but I'll be thrilled to have a second use for this device.

2. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

Used UNSCENTED dryer sheets. Fold once, hold lightly on record for a couple revolutions (don't press down) then pull away.

TimB, BayouTiger and Phil Thien like this.
  3. Phil Thien

I had thought of that, as I read about others using the same method. But I was looking for a chemical-free method, and dryer sheets are basically applicators of fabric softener.

I may come back to those dryer sheets if this method fails me.

I did receive an album in the mail yesterday that looked fairly dusty but otherwise alright. So I put it on my lazy susan record cleaner and used a dry velvet pad to clean each side, using my igniter after each cleaning. Then onto the turntable and a carbon fiber brushing of each side before play. And I'll be darned if I didn't get even a bit of static.

And the humidity was down around 45%. Normally this would be a problem.

The real test will be when the furnace comes on, though.

Dave Mac likes this.
  4. Phil Thien

Gumboo and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  5. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Thunderon brush

Phil Thien likes this.
  7. Phil Thien

Have one. I wasn't super impressed.

I like carbon fiber more but seek a non fluid method of killing static.

Hoping this is it.

8. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Phil!

Very interesting. To be honest: I did not know that something like this even exist...

Where I live I have - but only in winter - a humudity drop to under 30%. So static is a real issue here.

These igniters are about 10€ in my area. But I'm a bit afraid using it away from my turntable - dropping the record while holding it with one hand...

And I don't want to use it over the spinning platter, because it may interact with the cantilever?

Bye Andrea :wave:

Phil Thien likes this.
  9. coolhandjjl

Been using a Zerostat for many decades, never dropped a single LP while using it.

10. Phil Thien

Well if I'm right, if these things are showering electrons, DO NOT use one near any sensitive electronics.

I'm not even positive it works. It has worked on my most stubborn albums but it isn't winter/the dry season here. In a couple of months, all my albums will he static problems.

11. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Furutech Destat is the most effective that I have found...works very well

GyroSE and MGW like this.
  12. Phil Thien

I've read lots of great reviews.

Definitely something to consider if the plasma igniter doesn't pan out.

13. coolhandjjl

This forum is going to break me. $2000 ultrasonic degritters, $400 static neutralizers, $2000 pop and click eliminators.... do I get to listen to any music? :D

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Different tools for different purposes. For static, there's a technique. Hold record in one hand and effectively be grounded, use the brush with the other hand. It doesn't take much to dissipate the static.

Carbon fiber brush is for getting in the grooves and cleaning. Thunderon will know stuff off the surface, but mostly is just removes the static that causes dust to cling.

Phil Thien likes this.
  15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

A moist cloth in the hand that handles a record will draw the static into it and basically dissipate it.
    A moist or wet, soft cloth acts as a de-staticizer .
    I learned this in a work related environment dealing with static charged plastic and glass (glass outside can get very charged on a dry day when the dry wind hits it),
    if a surface like plastic (a record for instance...) is charged full of static, a wipe (light or heavy, or just touching the edge) of the damp cloth will discharge the static.

Hendertuckie and Phil Thien like this.
  16. Phil Thien

I've had some records that simply would not respond to anything short of getting them wet.

17. Phil Thien

Yep I have no problem eliminating static with fluids. But was interested in methods that don't wet the vinyl.

Also I've had albums that do seem to recharge fairly quickly compared to others. Those are the albums I've tested so far and this method does seem to reduce that.

Once winter really hits, I'll know for sure.

18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I've found over time that it can be done with out actually getting the surface of a record 'wet'.
    I usually keep a record cloth handy by the tt in a clean glass and before I put a lp on I dump a squirt or two of (mostly distilled water w/a little 99% alcohol in it) water onto the cloth and then I wad it up and shake it out so it is just overall moist.
    Then with the lp on the platter I spin the disc for carbon brushing with the moist cloth at the edge of the lp between my fingers and it.
    After that I switch the deck on and ever so lightly waft the cloth over the surface with the moist cloth to knock off any dust.
    So the record never gets doused or actually wet, the holding in the left hand as I spin the record (sometimes I use that moist cloth to dust the platter and side of lp that face it as it goes on) is doing the dissipation of static and at most getting the edge of the disc a little moist.
    The wee bit of alcohol (around 15%) really does speed up the overall evaporation.

enfield likes this.
  19. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Water is a great conductor.

ubiknik likes this.
  20. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

No

21. coolhandjjl

Music? We don’t listen to any stink’n music! :biglaugh:

22. Mayidunk

Mayidunk Just passin' through...

I recently found an old piezo-electric BBQ grill ignitor in the junk drawer and, remembering that the old Zerostat used the same priciple to destat records, I thought I'd give it a try.

Prior to trying it on an actual record, I discovered that it didn't spark. It having nothing attached to it to ground the spark, I thought it was broken. That is, until my hand got a little too close to the electrode. Zap city! So now I know that part works! :O

So I tried it on a static charged foam cup. It was so charged, it wouldn't let go of my hand! I put the business end of the ignitor about two inches away from the cup, pushed the button, no more static cling! :)

The "ignitor" now sits near the TT, awaiting the next static charged record. :)

Edit: I just couldn't leave it alone...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    enfield likes this.
  23. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

glad I have a zerostat...:D

classicrocker likes this.
  24. Mayidunk

glad that I learned how to spell "ignitEr!" ;-)

25. Mayidunk

I've been experimenting with the igniter and have concluded that, while it seems to neutralize static, I think you would be pressing that button way too many times trying to destat a record.

While the this particular piezo-electric igniter may work given enough time and effort, in the end it's probably not the most effective tool for removing "static cling" from your records. Maybe one that actually sparks might work better, I don't know. It was worth a shot, anyway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.