Possible alternative to Milty-type static gun...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phil Thien, Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caleb1138

caleb1138 Forum Resident

Bumping the thread with my own update. I decided to go with the lighter and it works perfectly. Thanks OP and everyone else!

2. Robes

Robes Active Member

Thanks for your update caleb & to the OP for the great work on testing as well as the others who contributed support to the thread. I'm buying a lighter from Amazon right now as recommended by Phil on page 1 of this thread and will use the alcohol "Disk Washer" trick also-

3. Gumbo72203

Gumbo72203 Well-Known Member

This has been a fascinating read! I'm looking to improve my static condition, as my house is quite bad. Someone here posted about holding your Carbon brush shortly above the record while spinning a few times, and this has actually helped quite a few records! It blew me away. Not every record, but enough to absolutely be noticeable.

However, to clarify - you've all purchased THIS Ronxs lighter, correct? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee&tag=shforums-20

I just want to make sure i'm getting the one that's working for everyone!

4. Robes

Robes Active Member

Gumbo72203 likes this.
  5. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

Hey quick question. Are you zapping the record while its on the TT?
    Or while holding with your other hand?
    If you need to get within a 1/2", it seems like an opportunity to accidentally touch the record.
    I am interested in exactly what method people are using for adequate results.

aphexacid likes this.
  6. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

The few times I’ve had to use it I don’t get within a half inch. Couple inches above the record in a swirling motion did the trick. Doesn’t seem like a very picky process. That’s why I laugh every time I see that milty gun. I have no desire to do all that.

Henry J likes this.
  7. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident Thread Starter

...meanwhile, I FINALLY found a carbon fiber record brush that works as advertised.

The Ortofon, about $30 from Amazon. I'd think with the struggles I've had with metal-handled carbon-fiber brushes actually inducing static rather than eliminating it, that the plastic-handled Ortofon would be a non-starter. I'd be wrong, it works marvelously.

I've purchased carbon brushes form Boundless and AudioQuest, and I've also borrowed various brushes from friends, this is the only one that seems to sweep without generating static in my insanely-dry environment.

It works as well (at eliminating static) as the Thunderon brushes sold by numerous outlets, but I was looking for carbon fiber so the bristles could actually reach into the grooves.

I'd just continue to use the alcohol + pad before each play, but the soon-t0-be-toddling granddaughter is spending more time here and I'd just as soon stow the chemicals away.

Record brush

[​IMG]

Andrea_Bellucci and superstar19 like this.
  8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I’m guessing from your later posts that you still find it effective. Should I keep it away from the turntable when using?

9. Phil Thien

I've been using it on my turntable, which uses a Technics direct-drive motor harvested from an SL-6.

But I'm aware of reports of people using the Milty on their turntable and frying the sensitive electronics that drive the DD motor, so I would urge caution and research before using it on any DD turntables. Those Milty reports may be coincidences/flukes, could even be B.S., hard to know.

I'm fairly safe as my turntable is a DIY build. I even have a spare motor on-hand and more are available on eBay for $25. For others, having the electronics fry would be a huge deal. For me, well I wouldn't be happy but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Honestly since finding the Ortofon carbon fiber brush works so well, I haven't had to use the lighter.

sound chaser likes this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Before I knew better, I used my old Red Milty anti-static gun with a record on a turntable. It sent a charge through the cartridge which then went through the entire chain and into the speakers making a noise. It was the last time I did that. Not worth the risk.

AFAIK the Milty was never designed to be used with the record on the TT. Pretty sure the old instructions that came with my red gun say to hold the record in mid-air when using the gun. That's how I do it.

11. Phil Thien

With record in one hand and instrument in the other, would be a smart approach for sure.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Phil!

Very nice suggestion.

My carbon fiber brush is about 20+ years old (a 10€ cheap one).

I have to put it at least 2-3 times on the record and it still do not catch all the dust.

So I'm in for a new one. I think I will post a thread in another forum. Seems to be a new one and not many reviews on it.

I read your review on amazon too. One guy says that his brush loose some hair. That would be a No-Go. Are the brushes harder than usual?

Bye Andrea :wave:

13. Phil Thien

It lost a few fibers initially then stopped. And it was stiff initially then became nice and flexible. I really like this one.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  14. aphexacid

That’s what I wanted to know as well. Thanks!

15. Phil Thien

To clean this one as well as other carbon fiber brushes I use, I just use an old credit card to gently "knock" the fibers the same way spinning the handle of a carbon fiber brush that has a handle, would work. It is just a little easier than spinning the handle.

And of course, the Ortofon doesn't come with a spinning handle but rather a cover. The cover is supposed to clean it, but easier again to just use the credit card.

Andrea_Bellucci and BrilliantBob like this.
  16. Gumbo72203

Okay, so I just got that RONXS thing and I'm not sure I'm using it correctly. I've been doing it a bunch of different ways, doing spritz in 3 different locations, swirling it around the record, etc etc.

I'm holding it so that the arm of the torch is perpendicular to the record, which puts the plasma arc parallel with the surface of the record. Is this correct?

17. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I wonder if anyone used cheap ionizing air blowers, available now on amazon for sub-$100 prices? They look like great alternative to anti static gun, especially when your hands having problem with Duputren's )).

18. Phil Thien

I typically just hold it over the record, turn it on, and move it in a circle maybe 2-3" above the record.

19. Phil Thien

How are the reviews, any good ones?

20. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

All reviews are very good, but also very recent. Dunno longevity of those.

21. caleb1138

caleb1138 Forum Resident

Can you hear anything? I have a RONXS lighter and it makes a buzzing, crackling sound when I wave it over my records that are highly charged. After I zap it all out, it produces a very low hum that seems to be the standard noise it makes. There's a noticeable absence of static in the records after I use it.

22. aphexacid

I just bought a Miles Davis repress the other day I thought I would take out of its paper sleeve and instead of wet cleaning, I would de static and use a record brush on and see how it sounds.

It gave me the heebie-jeebies not wet cleaning first, but it sounded pretty good after a dry clean.
    Sounded much better after I wet cleaned it though. but you’re someone who doesn’t want to wet clean, igniter plus record brush is a fantastic solution.

For me, I’ll keep the igniter and brush as maintenance.

23. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

24. Gumbo72203

I've tried varying distances; I think i've gone a little too close lately because i can feel the records getting warm haha. Don't think they got damaged, but I noticed they were warm afterwards. This was maybe at an inch distance? I'm not sure, it was close. I will try your method!

Hmmm.... I've not noticed one way or the other but I will keep an eye out for this now!

25. codywayne

codywayne Active Member

bajaed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.