Post a picture of your childhood stereo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomhayes, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Audio nirvana.

2. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

When I was 16 (in 1966) I bought my first system, the Harman Kardon SC 440 compact music
    system. Simply incredible sound with 10" woofers...I was the envy of all of my friends.
    This was a real audio system, not some cheapo plastic discount store bargain. The
    speakers were huge and HEAVY. I loved it, and it lasted for decades. And with the
    classy dust cover, it looked great. Here's the original 1966 ad...mine was the top one.
    [​IMG]
    And here it is with the dust cover...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    rocnred, bluesky, mr clean and 2 others like this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

$399 in 1966 = $1,268.82 in 2019. :yikes:

SandAndGlass and mr clean like this.
  4. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

More like my mother's, which I used as a child. These photos are not actually ares but came up on duckduckgo. Sae model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, mr clean and papatwo like this.
  5. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Yeah, I shouldn't use my phone to post.

ares-->ours
    sae--same

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fake tweeters, BTW. The graphic above the EQ sliders is just a strip showing the position of the slider.

mr clean likes this.
  7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

RCA, 1950s

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, mr clean and papatwo like this.
  8. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

This is a picture of it that I found on the web.

[​IMG]

Bought at Sears in 1984 when I was 14 years old. The turntable looked very cheap, and I played a lot of records on it, some probably 50 times or more. I still have those records, and when I play them today on my decent turntable, they sound just fine, so the cartridge must not have been too bad. If anyone knows what brand of cartridge Sears used in those players, I'd love to learn what it was. The cassette player made great quality tapes (or so I felt at the time), and I used to record albums my sister and friends had so I could expand my music collection. It also had an auxiliary input that I used to connect a Walkman, and eventually, a Fisher CD player. Overall, I liked the unit, it served me well for about 4 years for my admittedly simple audio needs at the time.

The volume control on this was terrible. It was labeled 0 through 10 on a little slider, and if you brought the slider up to 1, you'd have the decibel level of a jet engine, so I had to have it set about 1/4 of the way to 1 to have the sound at an acceptable level. I don't think Sears had any quality control people who would have paid attention to something like this, as why would you have a scale of 0 to 10 when you could only realistically turn it up halfway to 1? In any case, I had been cleaning the front of the unit one day while the stereo was turned off, and the volume slider got carelessly left at 5. The next time I turned it on, BOOM! I blew out the left speaker's woofer and midrange. We didn't have the money to take it back and buy a new speaker for about a year, so I heard a lot of treble unless I jacked up the bass on the unit's little 5-bar graphic equalizer.

At the time it happened, I had been listening a lot to The Who's Quadrophenia and Live At Leeds cassettes, and once I blew the left speaker out, I couldn't hear most of John Entwistle's bass anymore. Realizing this, I swapped the left and right speakers, and the mix seemed much better when the working woofer was on the left. Seems for that album and for most other Who albums, Entwistle's bass is mostly left channel while Pete Townshend's guitar is mostly right channel, which became quite clear to me when I had two tweeters but just one woofer in my "stereo" :p

Carlox and mr clean like this.
  9. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

We had a console in the dining room, but this was the same one I had in my room. I found the pic online. I think it was 12 watts per channel. The 8 track had fast forward. I thought I was the man:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple: and yes I danced just like that.

[​IMG]

rocnred, Morbius and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Did it come with Thruster speakers?

11. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Not mine, but this was my first system except the LED was a beautiful orange instead. I drove it with some old Jamo speakers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I really loved that system and especially the CD-player.

12. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

My mother had something similar from before I was born. Hers was inside a tabletop wood case with a lift up lid and an AM radio.

She told me she'd stick me in my high chair nearby to watch the records play because it kept me quiet. But when they stopped playing, I'd howl my head off until she flipped them over or put on another stack.

On that radio, I first heard Elvis's Don't be Cruel in 1956 and that was a cosmic experience. I was 3 years old.

Not long ago I bought a non working RCA stand alone changer a 9JY from 1949. It has the red spindle top and is the same changer that was in my mother's record player.

I'm trying to tinker it back into shape because I'd love to watch one in action again.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

Yes it did. They had a 8 inch woofer, and a 8 inch passive, 2 and a half inch cone tweeter. I replaced the cones with radio shack horns . Also had a BSR turntable.

Yes

[​IMG]

Morbius likes this.
  14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Best be quick to flip those records!

15. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

After a Fisher-Price record player and a Magnavox boom box, I got a Yorx very similar to this (but not as fancy) in like 7th grade or something:
    [​IMG]

It is not missed.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

And here was my turntable. It was a Bsr.

[​IMG]

rocnred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.