Post a single comic book frame*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Purple Jim, Dec 4, 2017.

1. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Bolland

[​IMG]
    Buscema

[​IMG]
    Arthur Adams

[​IMG]
    Kirby

[​IMG]
    Tuska

2. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I think Kirby needs to be recognized as one of the truly original American artists (are you listening MFAH !). His stuff is simply jaw dropping.... hasn't aged a lick.

smilin ed, uzn007 and furrykittens like this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I may have to take another look at Kirby's work. The work I'm most familiar with is that which he did at DC Comics, and also his work on Eternals and Machine Man at Marvel Comics. I didn't care for his art that I saw, but I haven't seen much of his early work for Marvel. Based on what I've seen it this thread, it seems that his earlier work was better.

Purple Jim likes this.
  4. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

5. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country
    Neil Gaiman

Purple Jim and superstar19 like this.
  6. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Check out his FF from like issues in the 30s till he quit Marvel, though the stuff right around issues 40- 60ish is mind bending... Kirby's work on Thor from the same period is also excellent..
    This is one of my favorite covers......The Thor Ulik... is there a better cover anywhere ??
    I can vaguely remember walking into fast food type stores when I was a kid and seeing covers like this, Strange Tales....etc... looked beautiful then and look beautiful now...it gives the impression that the layout wasn't done by chance...and the way that the hype and lettering is done... wants you to think that it mattered (and it did) !!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It would be difficult to overstate Kirby's influence on superhero comic art. Beyond his figure drawing, his sense of layout, action, storytelling, and dynamism were imitated by everyone who worked at Marvel Comics in the 60s, and just about everyone who worked at Marvel and DC in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. In the 60s, Marvel artists were told to look at Kirby's work and copy it, or were given rough Kirby layouts to work over to help acclimate them to the style that Lee wanted.

And of course Kirby is widely underrated as a writer, due to crediting/pay issues that plagued him at Marvel.

smilin ed and superstar19 like this.
  8. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

[​IMG]

The only comic I ever truly got into, Ralph Snart.

Purple Jim likes this.
  9. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Adams

[​IMG]
    Manara

[​IMG]
    Kaluta

[​IMG]
    Kirby

[​IMG]
    Raymond

10. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Akira Hanasaki:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purple Jim, smilin ed and superstar19 like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Enki Bilal is more know for his more painterly style but I prefer his earlier line technique. It's quite similar to Moebius's work (which is perhaps why he changed his approach). These frames are from the book Exterminator 17:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trumpet sounds, uzn007 and smilin ed like this.
  12. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Romita Jr channeling Miller

[​IMG]
    John Higgins

[​IMG]
    Raymond

[​IMG]
    Severin

[​IMG]
    Dave Johnson. Is it just me or does that right leg (our left) just look so wrong - like it's the back of her leg? Actually, maybe the other one too...

Purple Jim and superstar19 like this.
  13. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

"... but my horse can, with two riders!" LOL

Now that you point it out, yes, it totally does.

This an homage to a famous Steranko cover, of course, and Steranko's arms and legs were often a little janky.

In the original illustration, the biggest problem is that his upper legs look twice as long as his shins:
    [​IMG]

14. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

Yeah, but within the Steranko world, it works!! That's a hell of a cover.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Oh, absolutely. His genius for storytelling and page design far outweighs any deficiencies in anatomical accuracy.

16. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Here's a four-page(!) splash page that Steranko did in one of the SHIELD stories. You had to buy two copies of the comic to see the whole thing, back in the day:

[​IMG]

Lots of Kirby influence there, of course, but Steranko had a great sense of 60s Pop Art.

Here's a more (IMO) quintessentially "Steranko" page:

[​IMG]

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

Love the gun but surely it would be out of the holster by then?

uzn007 likes this.
  18. eeglug

eeglug Forum Resident

Yes, I see how it does look that way. I think her legs are too long for her torso, which makes her proportions a little wacky to me. There are lots of body proportion issues throughout comics history; of course some of it is quite intentional and has gotten out of hand, IMO anyway.

19. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

And the inability to draw clothing that's not a superhero costume.

20. eeglug

eeglug Forum Resident

The image just needs kneecaps and the feet shouldn't just be an opaque blob of black. My crude example:

[​IMG]

uzn007 likes this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's the censored version of the page. We actually discussed this earlier in the thread. Here's the page as originally drawn:

[​IMG]

The image of the gun is the same image as in the first panel, blown up in size. In addition, the phone was redrawn so that it's not off the hook, and the Contessa's cleavage was whited out. Steranko was amused by the changes, noting that an image of a gun in a holster in that final panel was more sexually suggestive than the actual panel he'd drawn.

Claviusb, Purple Jim, EdgardV and 4 others like this.
  22. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

R.I.P. to the legendary Joe Sinnott.

[​IMG]

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

superstar19 likes this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The Defenders is one of my favorite comics, and Defenders 95 was my very first comic, and the combo of Don Perlin and Joe Sinnott was a match made in heaven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]