Post a Surprising Musical Fact....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Sep 12, 2016.

1. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Heh heh, naughty Hank ... couldn't see the obvious one !

drad dog likes this.
  2. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Hmm. Still not seeing how a G sharp is a different frequency from an A flat. I understand how equal temperament works and how it evolved. However, isn't it true that on any ET instrument a G# and an A- are going to be the exact same frequency?

3. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

One of John Lennon's very first songs, Hello Little Girl, has the same chord sequence as one of his very last ones, Dear Yoko (A, E, D, E, D, E, A).

4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It is true they are the same note in ET. But ET is a compromise, supposedly, coming after the initial state, where those notes were defined as mathematically different.

5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Sun Records was technically Nashville-based by the time the Spoonful were hit-makers.
    Shelby Singleton moved the company from Memphis to Nashville when he bought
    Sam Phillips out.

6. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Meh. Can you name some great Sun releases he was talking about, with all those Nashville pickers?
    On wiki: Shelby Singleton bought Sun in 1969, after Sebastian had written all his spoonful hits. It was a mistake.

Lightworker likes this.
  7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Oops...my bad. Thought it was in '66.

drad dog likes this.
  8. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

9. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

'Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before' was scheduled to be The Smiths final single, but pulled on the grounds of sensitivity over the Hungerford Massacre, vis-à-vis the reference in the song to a "mass murder". So in theevent it was released only in Australia. It would have made for a more fittingly playful valediction than either of the two posthumous singles pulled from 'Strangeways'.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  10. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Michi Hirota, the female voice on Bowie’s "It's No Game (No. 1)", is one of the women on the cover of Sparks’ Kimono My House.

11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Probably well-known among Zappa fans, but perhaps not to others: There's a strong connection between Frank Zappa and Missing Persons.

Dale Bozzio voiced a part in Joe's Garage and Dale and Terry Bozzio both voiced parts in Thing Fish. To this day, Dale considers Frank her mentor.

12. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Bob Dylan's first multi-platinum album in the United States was... Traveling Wilbury's Vol. 1.

ARK and wrappedinsky like this.
  13. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

14. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

15. Not to mention that all the musicians in Missing Persons (Terry Bozzio, Warren C., Patrick o'Hearn) did time in Zappa's band.

rodentdog likes this.
  16. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Johnny Marr’s biggest hit in America is 1989’s ‘Getting Away With It’ with Electronic.

ARK and mtvgeneration like this.
  17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Jerry Nolan was in a band with Billy Squier.

Rupe33 likes this.
  18. thos

thos Forum Resident

Terry played with Zappa too.

19. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

izgoblin, xilef regnu and jonathan like this.
  20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Not sure how surprising, but I found this interesting. I'll put this forth in the form of a trivia question, so those who care to can guess at the answer.

I gleaned this recently from a reference work, one of many published by the dean of the American music charts, Joel Whitburn. So if you have the particular work in question, please refrain from looking up the answer, so as to play fair among those who are simply guessing.

The question is this: what is the most-recorded song title of the rock 'n' roll era (let's call it mid-1950s to early 1990s)?

Note the we're talking about a title, not a song — meaning that entirely different songs with the same title count toward the total. For example, The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks and America (along with many others) all recorded a song entitled "I Need You." Each is a different song, but each would count toward the total number of "I Need You"'s that have been recorded.

On the other hand, there is obviously only one song with the title "By the Time I Get to Phoenix." But that song has been recorded by many, many artists, and each one of those versions would count toward the total for that title.

The titles do not have to been hit singles. As long as a song with that title appeared as a track on an album that charted in Billboard during the years listed, it counts toward the total.

So, the question in its final form: excluding Christmas songs, what is the most-recorded song title of the rock 'n' roll era?

21. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Drew Struzan, who illustrated the "Hollywood Gangsters Cover" for Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits (1974), in addition to others, went on to become one of the most coveted movie poster artists of all-time. He illustrated posters for films such as Star Wars, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, E.T. and Back To The Future.

Binni likes this.
  22. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I Love You?

23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Pete Townsend's hearing loss was due to an accident on the Smothers Brothers Show. Here's a video of the accident:

Cheryl Ladd was the singing voice of Melody on Josie & The Pussycats animated series (Jackie Joseph was her speaking voice).

Phil Collins auditioned for the Sid & Marty Kroft series The Bugaloos but he wasn't chosen.

David Cassidy was considered for lead singer of Genesis after Peter Gabriel departed.

The song "Trying To Get The Feeling Again" was written for the Carpenters but they passed on it for the album Horizon since it was felt that the album had enough ballads (although a worklead was recorded). Barry Manilow had a hit with a version with revised lyrics.

MikaelaArsenault and xilef regnu like this.
  24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Thanks for taking a guess at this! Surprisingly, this title is 25th on the list — so there are quite a few ahead of it.

25. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Townsend himself actually attributes his hearing loss to excessive volume listening through headphones:

Sound Science: Pete Townshend Blames Headphones for Hearing Loss

EDIT : I'm not sure why this text is deciding to center itself.

xilef regnu likes this.