Post an album that inspired your life everyday, and keep it going!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Twelvepitch, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Post an album everyday that inspired your life in some shape, form, or fashion until we all run out of albums we love! I'll start with my first one. The 1966 masterpiece album Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. Keep it going!
    Thanks,
    Ryan [​IMG]

Bill, soarer29, Mr-Beagle and 8 others like this.
  2. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

3. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Always a summer album for me!

4. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Album number two. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco.

5. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

The Beach Boys - Wild Honey {1967}

[​IMG]

Mr-Beagle, Exotiki, Mark B. and 3 others like this.
  6. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

That album is one of only a few that I got SO addicted to when I first got a copy. I have been addicted to dozens of albums but I could not leave the thing alone - playing it three times a day was common for months for me! It was very unlike how I'd imagined it (although I already was familiar with Wouldn't It Be Nice and God Only Knows) and I didn't have anything else by them in my collection at that point - not even a compilation. Wow - it took me by storm. Still does. :cool:

This would be my pick (or at least first one for this thread if we are permitted more than one? :))

[​IMG]
    Many reasons for this one. I had it as a gift for Christmas 1982 and that was just weeks before me entering my teenage years, so would be hard to forget first listening to it. And like most people, I recorded it to cassette to play on my portable boombox so I didn't have to go anywhere with out this and other favourites! There are not just a nice selection of classic singles on here but the album tracks IMO are almost all just as good and there is no filler at all here.

The musicianship is amazing and it's beautifully produced. They were classed as all sorts back then 'synth-pop', 'new romantics' were the main terms and it's undeniable that the way they dressed gave them something of an image but then the whole record speaks for itself and anything else outside of that is just by the by I recon. :D They were the biggest thing in the UK since perhaps those four who-shall-not-be-named lol (yes, I love 'em but well... ;)) and would have been just ahead of Madness because they were massive at the time as well and I had their Rise & Fall album the same day (although the biggest seller of singles in the 80s here was Shakin' Stevens.)

The artwork although not my favourite thing is quite cool and does evoke more than memories of the time - perfect suits the music, so you have an idea of what to expect even before you hear it. Very 80s, but not overdone or over complicated at all. Fresh and refreshing. I have the sleeve from an old scratchy copy on mone of my walls at home and a very nice original for playing. The sleeve is 'textured' (or at least the UK LP one does - I don't know about any others) and the LP sounds stunning on a decent system - would be great to show off a top set up or use as a demo disc to impress people, it's been said.

So... What's not to like? :tiphat:

7. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

“Court & Spark”
    Joni Mitchell

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

10. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

11. OneStepBeyond

First Beatles CD I bought. In fact, it would have been the first actual album I bought by them... had cassette copies of this and others before that. See, I tried not to mention them in my post and look how long it lasted. :laugh:

12. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Kate Bush
    Hounds Of Love
    An album that has always been there for me through good and bad times but an old friend I still enjoy on CD or now more on vinyl.

13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

First actual album I bought.

Second was 1962-1966... that band made a big impression on me.. :cool:

OneStepBeyond and Twelvepitch like this.
  14. OneStepBeyond

Nice! Ah - the first 'product' I bought was John's Mind Games LP (a budget reissue in late 1980 - not hard to understand why and it was one of the first albums I ever bought for myself... just months after the first one which was Madness's One Step Beyond - I know, my avatar is intentionally messed up at the moment!) Then it was a cassette of Rock 'n' Roll Music volume 2 - I think because they didn't have the first one available. :) So Revolver was the first 'real' album - they didn't have the disc to go in the case for Rubber Soul and IIRC that was the only other one they had in the store... not that I didn't already know and love the album though. I bought Cameo's Word Up at the same time (although I already had that on LP and I know it was simply the thing to do lol)... I was very much into contemporary soul and funk at the time, so Revolver you could say was a bit of a departure. :thumbsup:

jmxw and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No album has ever inspired me to do anything, except emptying the wallet for favorites... :laugh:
    [​IMG]

Gaslight and zphage like this.
  16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

When my Dad taped a copy of this for me... and I first heard it... it set off a trip down a rabbit hole that has never stopped. Not only all of Jethro Tull, but it was the spring board for the whole 60's British folk revival (eg Fairport), which was a gateway to psych-folk, and on it goes.

[​IMG]

17. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

18. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums ever, and I don’t even like U2 that much.

19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Somebody had to do it. I was 16 when I first heard this and had a Sears Silvertone guitar that I'd traded a kid for a bottle of Boone's Farm wine and a jean jacket. It originally was black sparkle but he'd spray painted some kind of funky pinkish red. I started to try and figure out how to play along but I only knew a few chords and never tried soloing before. This album changed all that and became my template.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  20. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

You and a few other people...

jmxw and Twelvepitch like this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

' New Morning ''-- Bob Dylan.
    I have had an emotional attachment to this record for nearly 50 years.

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

[​IMG]

MC5 - Back In The USA

zphage likes this.
  24. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Cat Stevens:

Tea For The Tillerman
    Catch Bull At Four
    Foreigner
    Buddha And The Chocolate Box

Keith todaro and Starwanderer like this.
  25. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.