Post an obscure cartoon (theatrical or TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Astronut Show - Wikipedia

The Astronut Show was a syndicated animated television series produced by the Terrytoons animation studio. It first aired on August 23, 1965.

Astronut first appeared on the Deputy Dawg series. He was a short, squat, friendly blue alien in a tiny flying saucer who frequently got into mischief on Earth. He had a human friend called Oscar Mild, who was, as his name suggested, a soft-spoken character. Oscar worked in an office for Mr. Nicely, whose temperament was the exact opposite of his name.​

NYMets41, Reader and t-man 54 like this.
  2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

In My Merry Oldsmobile (1931)

Classic precode promotionnel short produced for GM by Max Fleischer.

NYMets41 and Reader like this.
  3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Soviet (Uzbekistan) adaptation of "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Ray Bradbury (1984)

Reader likes this.
  4. Magic

Magic I'm just this guy, ya know?

Used to watch this as a kid in the 50s. Colonel Bleep.
    Colonel Bleep was the first color cartoon ever made for television, created by Fran Noack and written by Robert D. Buchanan. note It features the titular Colonel, an extraterrestrial from Futura, protecting and serving Earth with the aide of his two cadets, Squeek and Scratch (a cowboy puppet and a caveman, respectively). They often meet opposition from Doctor Destructo or other villains.

The show was originally syndicated in 1957 as a segment on Uncle Bill's TV Club. 104 episodes were produced, but only 35 are known to survive today.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Reader, Alan G. and Tim S like this.
  5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Pinky and the Brain meet the Beatles (1997)

Tim 2 and vinnie like this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Willy McBean and His Magic Machine (1965)

Willy McBean and His Magic Machine is a 1965 full-length stop-motion puppet animation film produced by Rankin/Bass Productions in the United States and Dentsu Motion Pictures in Japan. It was released by Magna Pictures Distribution Corporation, and released in movie theaters on June 23, 1965. Its main theme is time travel.​

Reader likes this.
  7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

A Snow White Christmas (1980)

A Snow White Christmas is a Christmas animated television special produced by Filmation and telecast December 19, 1980, on CBS. It is a sequel to the fairy tale "Snow White", unrelated to Filmation's other sequel to "Snow White" titled Happily Ever After (1990). While this is a sequel to the original story and not the 1937 Disney film, there are some similarities.[3] The film's plot revolves around the return of the Wicked Queen, who is unexpectedly brought back to life and casts an evil spell that freezes the entire land. It is up to young Snow White, the daughter of the original Snow White aided by the seven giants, to defeat her once-and-for-all and save the kingdom.​

8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Reader likes this.
  9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Cinderella - Disney's first adaptation of the fairy tale as a black & white short, predating the Technicolor feature film by 28 years (1922)

10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Безтолковий Вомбат, a Ukrainian animated short based on the Australian children's radio serial The Muddle-Headed Wombat (1990)

Reader likes this.
  11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Mad Mad Mad Monsters (1972)

TV-movie prequel to Rankin/Bass' stop motion Mad Monster Party? from 1967

NYMets41 likes this.
  12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

AT&T Superman TV Ad (1986)

Voices of Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder

13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

There was a cartoon I saw on TV, in the evening, it had to be the late 70's, but it was basically only line drawings in black and white but not black and white because it was old but due to the color scheme. I believe it was contemporary at the time I saw it. It was very stark and wintery. The mood was very somber. I can't remember the plot or anything but I wish I knew what it was because it has remained in my memory for so long. It was on a major network. I know this is very, very little to go on but does anyone have any idea?

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Aru machikado no monogatari a.k.a. Tales of a Street Corner (1962)

Directors: Yusaku Sakamoto, Eiichi Yamamoto

One autumn day in a small and colourful street corner, an inconsolable little girl loses her prized possession: her fluffy teddy bear. But down the road, a tiny grey mouse, Kanku-bouya, finds it, as the vibrant and lively posters on a forgotten street nook come to life with the enchanting music of a young violinist and his pianist pair. However, not all posters are kind and well-meaning, furthermore, the toy is still missing. Will the sad girl ever find her beloved teddy bear? (IMDb) ​

Reader likes this.
  15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Topo Gigio and the Missile War (1967) trailer - Italian-Japanese puppet film

Reader likes this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Felix in Hollywood (1923)

Felix in Hollywood is a 1923 short featuring Felix the Cat. In the episode, Felix goes to Hollywood and meets Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, William S. Hart, Cecil B. DeMille, Will Hays, Snub Pollard & Ben Turpin, in the first animated cartoon to feature caricatures of Hollywood celebrities.

It was named #50 of The 50 Greatest Cartoons of all time in a 1994 survey of animators and cartoon historians by Jerry Beck, making it the only Felix the Cat cartoon on the list.​

17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Charley on the Farm (1919)

Animated Charlie Chaplin cartoon by Otto Messmer and Pat Sullivan. From the series of cartoons made by Messmer and Sullivan, released by Universal, just before their creating Felix the Cat.

18. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Sherlock Hound

This Italian-Japanese series first aired in 1984-1985, and as you'll have guessed from the title, it's loosely based off the Sherlock Holmes stories. One notable thing about this series is that Hayao Miyazaki directed the first few episodes to go into production (the episode above being one of them) but problems with Arthur Conan Doyle's estate resulted in production being suspended for awhile. By the time this was all sorted out and production had resumed, Miyazaki had moved on to work on other projects.

Reader likes this.
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh, cool! I know a guy who loves Sherlock Holmes and has seen a lot of adaptations of it but I don't know if he's seen this one. I'll pass it along to him. Thanks!

20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

How Animated Cartoons Are Made (1919)

Wallace Carlson walks viewers through the production of an animated short at Bray Studios.

Reader likes this.
  21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good one. :thumbsup:

22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

AH-56 Cheyenne Helicopter Recon Variant: "Is This Mission Impossible?" (1968)

produced by Warner Bros./ Seven Arts for Lockheed

23. Ooh! I saw this on video in 1987 and I haven't seen it since. I watched a lot of Filmation cartoons as a kid. Watching them today, I can see how some of them were done on the cheap. But I wouldn't change any of them. That'd be like changing old Hanna Babera cartoons.

Speaking of old obscure Filmation cartoons:

Man, the ABC must have really raided the vaults for cartoons back in 1987-1990. Vicky The Viking and My Favourite Martians from the 1970's. The Abbot And Costello Cartoon Show and Gumby both from 1967. For cartoons, Australian TV was great in the late 1980's, as the channels played cartoons from as far back as The Huckleberry Hound Show to the "latest". Not counting the occasional Merrie Melodies or Tom And Jerry. And I say "latest", we were almost always over two years behind. But this was every channel, not just the public broadcaster. Good times? Nope, they never played that!

24. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Mad Jack the Pirate

This originally aired on Fox Kids back in 1998-1999. The best way I can describe this show is that it's kind of like if someone took Blackadder and reimagined it as a pirate-themed Saturday morning cartoon.

25. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Somewhere In The Arctic (1986)

Animated student film by Andrew Stanton, writer/director of Finding Nemo and WALL-E

Reader likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.