Post an obscure cartoon (theatrical or TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Apocalypse Pooh (1987)

2. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship

This stop-motion animation was made by Cosgrove Hall, the same studio behind Danger Mouse and Count Duckula, and is based off a Russian fairytale.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Puff The Magic Dragon (1978)

4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Based on the Italian comic character, the Diabolik animated series from the early 2000s made by Saban International Paris took a more kid-friendly direction and left us with a total of 40 episodes. How the writers handled action scenes and plots on this series reminded me of the 1980s Rambo animated series, which also adapted an adult-oriented action character for the Saturday-morning cartoon format. As a fan of the comic, I enjoyed this cartoon for what it was worth. It's a shame this animated series became so overlooked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Bionic Six

melstapler likes this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down is a 1970 animated showcase for various caricatured Jerry Lewis characters, all based on characters from the Lewis film, The Family Jewels and styled in a fashion similar to Archie's TV Funnies and the Groovie Goolies. The title is a variant of the deciding question on the game show To Tell the Truth: "Will the real __________ please stand up?". Like most 1970s-era Saturday morning cartoon series, Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down contained an adult laugh track. It was produced by Filmation.​

SmallDarkCloud and melstapler like this.
  7. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

M.A.S.K.

melstapler likes this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Simpsons opening if it were Russian

NOTE: This is in no way funny, it's quite depressing and somewhat disturbing - but it's extremely well done

trumpet sounds likes this.
  9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

David L. Lander (later Squiggy On Laverne & Shirley) was the voice of Jerry Lewis on this show.

10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Does anyone remember a cartoon from the 60's that used to air when I was a kid? It was called "Snuffy Smith" about a hillbilly with a shotgun who hung out on his front porch drinking moonshine.
    As I recall, it was hilarious.

Texastoyz likes this.
  11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I remember this as a syndicated comic strip, but I never saw any animated version.

EdgardV likes this.
  12. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

I read the comic daily, but wasn’t living in the US in 1963 when Al Brodax introduced a three-cartoon show featuring Barney Google an’ Snuffy Smith, Beetle Bailey, and Krazy Kat. I had to look it up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    johnny 99 and Tim S like this.
  13. Laineycrusoe

Help! I'm a Fish

This English language Danish film (the English voices were used during the animation/production process) did alright here in the UK at the time, but has slipped into obscurity since. It was released in the US a few years later under the title A Fish Tale, though that release is probably best known for its infamously hideous Vídeo Brinquedo-esque cover art. I'm posting the trailer, but the whole film and its 1996 pilot can be found easily on Youtube at the time of writing. Despite the cute/silly title and trailer, the film actually gets pretty dark and serious at times, particularly during the final act. On a side note, I also found this hilarious clip of the theme song on Top of the Pops.

14. Laineycrusoe

The Bluffers

This was a Dutch series, though apparently the English voices were used during the animation/production process. It was created by Frank Fehmers (based off an idea by Gene Deitch, who also narrates the series) and features Allen Swift doing most of the voices. Mike Jupp, creator of The Dreamstone (which I mentioned earlier in the thread), served as the show's art director, hence the similar visual style to his other work.

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Scooby-Doo Gang in Skin Deep Part 2: Toward Clearer Skin (Hanna-Barbera Filmstrip 59020) (1980)

Silver Surfer likes this.
  16. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Tales From The Far Side II:

Not terribly obscure if you're a fan of Gary Larson but this one wasn't aired in America so I think it still counts...

fabre likes this.
  17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Ghost of Slumber Mountain (1918)

The Ghost of Slumber Mountain is a 1918 film written and directed by special effects pioneer Willis O'Brien, produced by Herbert M. Dawley, and starring both men. It is the first movie to show live actors and stop-motion creatures together on the screen and is often cited as a trial run for The Lost World.​

Alan G. and Reader like this.
  18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Alice in Wonderland (1949 film) - Wikipedia

Alice in Wonderland (French: Alice au pays des merveilles) is a 1949 French film based on Lewis Carroll's fantasy novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Directed by Dallas Bower, the film stars Carol Marsh as Alice, Stephen Murray as Lewis Carroll, and Raymond Bussières as The Tailor. Most of the Wonderland characters are portrayed by stop-motion animated puppets created by Lou Bunin.[1]

All of the other live actors in the film are seen only in the live action scenes. However, they lend their voices to the Wonderland characters, and the staging of the scenes in England vs. the scenes in Wonderland is reminiscent of the Kansas scenes vs. the Oz scenes in The Wizard of Oz, in that several of the live-action characters seem to have counterparts (of sorts) in Wonderland. Among the other live actors are Pamela Brown as the Queen and as the voice of the Queen of Hearts. Stephen Murray is seen as Lewis Carroll and provides the voice of the Knave of Hearts, and Felix Aylmer, who played Polonius in Olivier's Hamlet, plays Dr. Liddell, father of Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Alice; he also provides the voice of the Cheshire Cat.[3]

---

The film was kept out of Britain until 1985 as Carroll's representation of the Queen of Hearts was seen as too close and too unkind to Queen Victoria.[4]

The film was not widely seen in the U.S. upon its completion, due to a legal dispute with the Disney Studios, which was making its own full-length animated version of Alice at the same time as the Bower version was being worked on. Disney sued to prevent release of the British version in the U.S., and the case was extensively covered in Time magazine.[5] The company that released the British version accused Disney of trying to exploit their film by releasing its version at virtually the same time.[5]

Both films flopped in the U.S. when they opened in 1951, but Disney saw to it that the fame of its version was kept alive by showing an edited version of it on network television as part of their Disneyland TV series and issuing two record albums based on the film. The Disney version eventually reached classic film status and was re-released in 1974 and 1981. The British version, meanwhile, also was sold to television, but only to local stations, where it was eclipsed by showings of the all-star Paramount 1933 live-action film version of the story, which, incidentally, had also flopped in movie theaters.​

Reader likes this.
  19. Greg Z

Greg Z Forum Resident

All three of those cartoons' complete series are available on Amazon Prime Video right now.

halfjapanese likes this.
  20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Little Nemo (1987)

Anime TV pilot

EdgardV likes this.
  21. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

And Felix the Cat (Rock Bottom the pit bull dog, Poindexter, Professor, Master Cylinder, General Clang-a squid, w/Vavoom, Sniffer the hound, Big Brownie and nemesis Bart the Rancher, Martin the Martin (Not THAT one), King Barney and his leprechauns, and the Bad Genie who kept attempting to put Felix in the genie's bottle!)! AND the magic bag of tricks.

22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Legend of Calamity Jane - Wikipedia

The Legend of Calamity Jane is an American/French animated television series produced by Canal+ and France 3. The series followed the adventures of Calamity Jane in Deadwood, South Dakota. The episode "I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia" takes place during the opening of the Centennial Exposition, establishing the shows as being set in 1876. The series was gritty and had a very European animation style. It aired in France and Canada from 1997 to 1998 and in Portugal in 2002. Despite its short run the series developed a cult following.​

23. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

Character called Morph.
    I remember Morph being on Television in the late 1970's.

24. Laineycrusoe

Geronimo Stilton

This is based off a popular Italian children's book series, though this cartoon adaptation was made using the English voices first (it was an Italian/French/North American co-production) and it doesn't seem to be as well known as the books it's based off. It focuses on the titular character, a famous reporter, who lives in a world inhabited by human-sized mice/rats and ends up going on various adventures with his family. The show's director, Guy Vasilovich, worked on several Disney films during the 1980s, including The Great Mouse Detective unsurprisingly.

25. mradmack

mradmack Roxanne + Geoff.

I remember this being on as a kid, hated it
    then, hate it now. I don't really think it was aimed at children. VERY odd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.