Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 12)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I LOVE that you framed your rough looking butcher cover! Seriously!!

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The shelves are cut from 3/4" MDF boards. At some point, I may tear it down and primer/paint it, but I'm OK with how it looks unfinished.

The rods are also 3/4" thick, and finding neoprene washers in that size is difficult. My solution was to buy a long tube of foam plumbing insulation and cut it into 1/2" thick rings. Once the rack is assembled and everything is tightened, the washers squish down the foam.

I have noticed positive effects on my system's performance since placing it on the rack. Imaging and transients are greatly improved, and there is a definite reduction in background noise on LPs, including ticks and pops.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. action pact

What else am I gonna do with it? :D

It's also slightly falling apart from water damage, so this is a good way to preserve what's left. It looks kind of cool with the bits of the pasteover still stuck to it!

The two LPs on the left (Ventures and Beau Brummels) are signed. The Ventures LP, besides being an original 1964 Japanese pressing (found at a Tokyo flea market), has the original untouched-up photo with the huge sweat stain under Don Wilson's armpit!

[​IMG]

PhilBiker, Mazzy, Dan C and 3 others like this.
  4. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Such a relaxing looking room. Nice job!

PennyLanes and Dan C like this.
  5. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Very nice set up! I like it!

action pact likes this.
  6. action pact

Thank you!

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

That's fantastic! Those lamps rock, nice finds. Great vintage gear too. Great job on the rack, I could never be that handy.

dan c

PennyLanes likes this.
  8. action pact

Thanks so much!

You absolutely can make a FleXy Rack. It's so simple! Home Depot or Lowe's or whatever will cut the boards for you, so all you need to do is measure and drill the holes, and then assemble. (Two 2 x 4 boards will yield six shelves, so I had one extra to practice my drilling.)

To position the holes, measure one inch from the corner edges and mark with a straightedge. Make another mark that matches the thickness of the rod (3/4"?) and mark that. The marks should then form a square. Draw an X in the middle of the square and that's where the tip of the drill bit is positioned. If you make a sloppy cut, it doesn't matter because the washer will cover it.

This diagram shows what I mean (the blue area represents the footprint of the Fisher 400, my largest component): flexy plans1.jpg

rischa, Dan C and bluemooze like this.
  9. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

This is my system as of 10 minutes ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jomaset

jomaset Forum Resident

I'm getting a strong urge to add a lava lamp to my system...:)

PhilBiker, Robin L, Ortofun and 2 others like this.
  11. action pact

I see that my favorite TV show was on!

PennyLanes likes this.
  12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

:righton:

Dig the Sansui stuff.

On those SP-2500X speakers. The crossover is under the front grill instead of the back like the SP-2500's. How easy is it to take the grill off on those? The SP-2500's are easy to get off, but a real pain to get back on. As much as I change the crossover on the tweeter that would drive me bonkers.

13. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

How high up is that turntable? Do you use it much?

14. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Carroll O'Connor, brilliant actor. What a ground breaking role "Archie Bunker" was.

15. Peacekeepr73

The grill has little snaps so you can just pull off the grill and pop it back on.

artfromtex likes this.
  16. Peacekeepr73

I've used it pretty much daily since getting it four years ago and the rack is about four feet tall. When I first built it the thing seemed a bit tall but I've grown into it.

17. Is meathead digital or analogue ?

18. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Some pics of the system with new Rogue Stereo 100 in the mix as of today. I've got to rearrange the cabinet so I can place it inside and give it some breathing room. Next step is some acoustical treatments for the wall that my wife can live with.

IMG_1266.JPG IMG_1268.JPG IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1270.jpg

19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

That was the table I cut my audiophile vinyl lovin' teeth on. My grandfather had one and a giant Technics receiver running into a pair of Thiel 03-a's. Good times.

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Man what a design improvement over the SP-2500's. Putting the grills back on requires a PhD in engineering. ;)

Do you change your crossover much? I tend to like mine on the "clear" setting for LP's and the "natural" setting for most digital sources.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Frankenstereo Has Risen From The Dead ! [organ stab!]:

DSCF4036.JPG

Dubbing a horrible warped fifty/sixty year old recording. Note the retched excess of old speakers precariously lashed together and the rough assemblage of various odd "art objects" semi-randomly dispersing the sounds.

22. Music1212

Music1212 Forum Resident

23. Peacekeepr73

I keep it on the Nautral Setting as I'd rather not have any extra EQ added to the sound. I try to keep as pure a signal path as possible in my system.

24. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

The VDH is definitely one of my favorite go to cartridges, but the harmonic richness/naturalness of the Jan Allaerts is just unmatched IMHO. I enjoy the change in sound depending on the mood ;)

25. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.