Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 13)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

jonwoody, ishmaelk, spewey and 8 others like this.
  3. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

My stripped back 2-ch setup in its current incarnation post room treatment, with my Tannoy Lancaster (Monitor Gold 15") and Tannoy Autograph Mini in rotation:

system oct 2013 a.jpg system oct 2013 b.jpg system oct 2013 c.jpg system oct 2013 d.jpg

4. I posted my current room before but may I suggest that those of you with white or light walls behind your tv screens, paint them a darker color. It really make a difference day or night. The screen image will pop more and your eye won't be distracted by the light walls.. Hard to tell with this image which is reflecting the windows.

image.jpg

jonwoody, DLant, Millington and 20 others like this.
  5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My Frankenstereo photo managed to be on one of the last pages of thread #12, so here it is again. It looks weird and wonky but playing an original mono copy of "A Date With The Everly Brothers" yesterday I couldn't help but note how clear and present everything was sounding. The three sets of speakers—old Magnapan mid/bass panels, Paradigm Titans and Mordunt-Short MS 3.30—cost me a whopping total of $24:

[​IMG]

6. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Mazzy:

The dark chocolate wall is a very nice contrast with your birch furnishings and oak(?) flooring. Super.
    I like your Tim Burton figures on the center piece. Did you need to modify the album covers to fit the
    shelf openings, or was the cabinet custom made? All in all, very pleasing.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Great looking room, and that is a nice wall colour.

I believe those are the 1x5 Expedit units. Looks like Mazzy removed some of the shelf inserts for the one on top.

I was going to do the same thing but the location of my stereo and those shelves wouldn't have worked in my small room.

8. Thanks, not Tim Burton figures. Day of the Dead statues

The two low stacked cabinets are just ikeas. The top has two supports removed to fit the center speaker. Most of the albums are in ikeA record frames that fit in. Floors are bamboo

9. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Some of my favorite gear.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3a.jpg

390 kt88 watts

4.jpg

10. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Got the Stereo 100 in the cabinet with plenty of room to breathe. It actually puts out less heat then the Prologue 7's, which would make sense considering four less power tubes in the mix. Streaming Lily & Madeleine from my NAS to the 105 with Oppo iPad app. Musical freedom!

IMG_1275.JPG IMG_1276.JPG

spewey, Miche, Doctorcilantro and 6 others like this.
  11. The Snodger

The Snodger Forum Resident

12. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Very impressive Snodger.
    Your turntable/arm combo looks absolutely awesome, and no doubt sounds as good as it looks.
    No doubt you need a quality source to feed those Rockports.

Steve

13. The Snodger

Hey Steve, thanks for the comment. Yes, I am very happy with my setup. The TT is heads and shoulders above my previous setup which was a Michell Orbe.OL Live Silver Mk3/Ortofon Cadenza Black. That Peter Ledermann REALLY knows how to build cartridges (I have the Hyperion).

What I really need now is a bigger room! The treatments I have put on the walls (and soon the ceiling) definitely help A LOT though. I'd seriously recommend to anybody who is looking for the next upgrade to look at room treatments before anything else. You get the biggest benefits for the smallest investment.

Kkfan, AxiomAcoustics and Kyhl like this.
  14. The Snodger

Sorry for the crappy phone shots btw. Didn't have time to get the proper camera out.

15. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

Nice speakers & amp if I may say so myself, the rest not too shabby either :)
    Surprised you are using a sub, I don't think I could want for any more bass from my Aviors (though our different rooms no doubt influence the audible output).

16. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Yes, beautiful set-up indeed!
    What are those treatments you have? I don't recognize them. Custom? Or otherwise?

Thanks.

17. The Snodger

I'm a basshead. Although its really only doing the really low freq (10-20Hz) and isn't turned up very loud at all, call it a 'subtle bass augmentation' if you will!

Your room is very different from mine David. I reckon if I had a bigger room on a solid floor I wouldn't need the sub.

Plus, did I mention I'm a basshead?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  18. The Snodger

They are the Aurelex foam panels. Very good value for money IMO.
    Most people don't realize that their room affects the sound they hear coming out of their speakers a GREAT DEAL. Something like this is brilliant for taming a room.

19. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

I hear ya...

I have a relatively small room 12ft x 12ft x 7.5ft, with large speakers, Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen II, (20Hz - 25kHz) and a relatively high
    powered SS amplifier (300W/channel). I listen nearfield, about 5ft from speakers, and although the speakers can reach into the depths, like you, I
    augment with a subwoofer for an enhancement of the lower register. It provides a very taut, deep and very musical bass.
    I'd have to guess that many here think I'm nuts for having so much power for such a small room with such close proximity to the speakers,
    but I must say that that the system provides a very dynamic, detailed, deep and wide soundstage with both analog and digital sources.
    The floor is carpeted wall to wall, and the surrounding walls are almost completely covered by shelving that holds the media: LPs, CDs, books, etc.,
    so I don't think I have any room acoustic issues - none that are so obvious as to muck up my enjoyment of the presentation, that is.

Kkfan likes this.
  20. The Snodger

Yeah, I'm the same, just slightly bigger... My room is about 13ftx20ft, the back 'wall' behind me actually being large French doors that I leave open, effectively giving me another 10ft behind my listening position.

David M has a very similar setup as me (same amp and speakers) and it does sound very different in his room. The room has so much impact on the sound it.s unreal.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

22. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

Very, very nice! Love the Rockports!

Have you tried the sub in a different location? I'd think dead center between L&R walls might not yield the smoothest response. ...And that's it for the constructive criticism segment of this response.

Great job!

23. The Snodger

Yup, tried it in a few places. The most 'standard' position (i.e. in the corner) was too boomy. The current placement works best as its much less in your face (although it literally is almost 'in my face'). The Velodyne setup tool does a pretty excellent job of making the sound fit in with the rest of the system.

24. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

25. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Which model do you have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.