Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 14)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hodgo, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Hi all,

This is my system. Its all pretty old now. Speakers and CD player are 20 years, valve amp 16, and turntable 33 years old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Mark

2. Gretsch6136

3. Love the view out the back window.

Robert Hood likes this.
  4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

What type of cabinet is that? I love the look.

5. Gretsch6136

Not sure what you mean? The view the wallpaper mimics or the reflection in the TV?

6. It was a joke. The urban view behind your TV screen. Oh well.

7. Gretsch6136

I bought it from a local furniture shop - made in China I'm sure! It does stack away a lot of gear. I have my BD, DVDR, CDR, and VHS behind the glass sliding doors.

8. Gretsch6136

I thought so. Just wasn't sure. It was quite the operation getting that pattern to match up!

Mazzy likes this.
  9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

How do you like the DL-301? I'm seriously thinking of trying one.

10. Gretsch6136

Its a DL304. I've had it on there for 15 years. Absolutely killer!

utahusker likes this.
  11. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Not old Mark - just vintage bliss!!
    Beautiful room and gear!!!

smokey545 likes this.
  12. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Off topic but I love the movie posters.

13. Gretsch6136

Thanks for the kind words. You make me laugh though! Vintage to me has always been '60s and older. I remember buying all this stuff new (except the TT) and it just seems like yesterday.

Cheers,

Mark

Robert Hood and cat9 like this.
  14. Yes, I feel the same way. Only recently has 1985 begun to feel like a really long time ago, so when someone says "vintage" I think the same.

15. filper

filper Forum Resident

Hi Mazzy,

May I ask what the cost per square foot for the radiant heating will cost you to install and a guess for the hydro per annum ?

I have been thinking of doing the same for my space.

16. You know I couldn't exactly tell you. Google Roth Radiant Panels.

The project consists of bringing gas to the house and running all new gas lines ( for the floor , dryer, stove and fireplace). The house only had an electric hook up.

I've also eliminated a few walls, added Sheetrock, paint and then a new wood floor. About 750 sq ft in all.

Also a new tankless water heater and a bath re do. Floor and partial wall tile and a claw foot tub. So there is a lot going on.

Roth panels are good for a retro fit on a slab. My house in SF we added radiant tubes under the subfloors and it's the best most efficient heating I've ever had. Clean and silent and no blowing dust.

Sorry I don't have a $ answer for you but there are so many components

17. filper

filper Forum Resident

Thanks for you response. I am working with carte blanche in the lower level of my home.

My main challenges are floor temperature, furnace/HRV, and power vent water heater noise.

The open floor joists seem to acoustically calm the room, so I am hesitant to finish the ceiling.

Looking good for you. Enjoy.

Phil

18. A view to the future record room then where the tubes come together and the tankless water heater.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. filper

filper Forum Resident

So yours is water radiant heat, not electric. Similar to the 'old' radiator on the wall method. Interesting.

I assumed you were using radiant electrical heating.

I will have to investigate that.

20. filper

filper Forum Resident

How much does that method raise the floor height ?

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Wallpaper!

Mazzy likes this.
  22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The disease was in remission for about twenty five years, but... it has indeed returned with a vengeance!

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Thank You. In looking through the system archives, I'm finding so so many photos of members systems that feature older model receivers and integrated amps. From forum comments, I get the impression that many younger members don't quite understand why so many people have and still use this "older" equipment. I mean, now days, it might seem rather plebian to the up and coming audiophile, that someone would be still using a receiver, when they could be owning monoblocks.

The reason that people still have this solid state equipment form the 70's is quite a testament to the quality of this equipment. Before the big box stores, people went to their local hi-fi store for upscale audio equipment. Companies, like Pioneer, were sold exclusively in high end audio stores. A typical receiver was priced around $300-$400, not much different than today, but back then, a Coke was 10-cents. An average receiver was usually rated between 30-60 watts, with a "BIG" receiver being about 80-watts.

Before solid state, most tube amplifiers, were of modest output as far as wattage was concerned, so speakers tendency to be large and efficient by design. A 30-40 watt receiver, could drive most speakers to reasonably large, room filling levels. Back then, there was a stereo, with a turntable in every bodies house I knew and I didn't know anyone who owned monoblocks.

Electronics coming from Japan, were very high quality, made with discreet components, not IC's like receivers today. The reason that vintage gear thrives today, is the quality build, together with quality sound. There is no shame using vintage turntables, integrated amps, receivers, speakers, of respectable quality today.

Jerry James and Robert C like this.
  25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

This is my living room system.

[​IMG]

My wife was opposed to a lot of "ugly" electronics cluttering up our austerely furnished living room, so this is the compromise solution we settled on.

Being placed in a corner alcove helps with projection and bass weight (although those little Pioneers have inherently good bass for their size). Even though the room is large and open, this system does a good job of filling the space, although audiophile considerations like imaging, etc. are a non-starter. That's OK, this is not where I do my critical listening. It does its intended job well: providing some background music with quality sound.

Having an automatic turntable is really handy; I don't have to worry about lifting the arm at the end of a side if I'm distracted elsewhere in the house. I also have a tall stacking spindle, for convenience during dinner parties, etc.

• Turntable: Dual 1219, expertly serviced by AudioKarma member "NoTransistors," in rare German Dual base w/ flip-down accessories compartment
    • Cartridge: Shure M97xE
    • CD: TDK dual-well CD recorder that I bought over 10 years ago, and has been remarkably resilient for a cheap BPC unit
    • Receiver: Pioneer SX-780 ($50 on Craig's List)
    • Speakers: Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS-21LR ($40 on Craig's List)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.