Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I finally found my keeper speakers but I already know my next speakers. You just summed up this hobby in 2 sentences.

Manimal, MonkeyMan, Tim 2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bananas&blow

re: KLH 5's. Really? My experience was they had a decent sound stage in my room but nothing big like Klipsch or even my old KEF R300's.

The owners comments about their magic pixie dust is so true though. For some reason they just make you want to pull out album after album. I really wish they would make a mach II version with some upgraded drivers. They would be something really special with those but they are fun as is. Sold my pair this weekend.

jonwoody likes this.
  3. Bananas&blow

Fantastic room. Love the kitty and hound. Interesting to me how differently you have your Fortes set up than mine. I have mine heavily towed in, away from the wall and powered by a 40 watt tube amp. Are you able to achieve a cohesive image with no toe in? I prefer the looks of your location over mine which are way out into the room. I reckon the amount of bass yours produce is much higher with your choice of amp and speaker location.

Harris11235 and jonwoody like this.
  4. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Thank you!

I was also surprised by how the placement sorted out. I had a friend help me carry them upstairs and we set them within 6” of where they are now. Dumb luck.

I tried moving them farther apart. They lost some cohesiveness when I did that.

I also played with multiple distances from the wall. The 1” floor boards were really useful for that. I lined them up straight with the same board and inched them in and out until they locked in. In this space, the bass is perfect with the rear of the speaker 5” from the back wall. They couple with the room beautifully. An inch either direction changes the bass response drastically.

As for the amplification, the Peachtree 300 grips these speakers with an iron fist. They still have all most of qualities you like about yours. They lose the tube sweetness, but the excess of SS watts really gives them a confident and effortless character that my tube amp didn’t provide.

I’m not interested in getting the imaging perfectly dialed in. Toe in improves imaging at the center seat at the expense of the other seats. People sit in different places and it’s not meant for critical listening. Even still, they do a better job of that than I expected when I’m sitting centered between them.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

just a joke (not a very good one either) about the ultra wide view of the room. first thing i thought when i saw that picture- huge sound stage!

6. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Perfection. The speakers appear to have been chosen as part of the decor with the great sound a mere bonus. ;)

7. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Thanks, @JackG !

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've decided that this group of speakers are now my favorite. This leaves a nice pair of '77 Cornwall's and restored Bozak 302's out of the every day rotation, but after much trial and error with mixing different amps with different speakers and placement, this lineup affords me the best sound, and also permanent placement without having to move speakers in and out. Just a quick switch of the IC's and I'm in business.

A pair of restored '72 Khorns have recently come up for sale locally, with delivery and trade possible. As you can see, I have less then adequate corners so I would have to seal the backs, and/or create false corners, both of which are above my pay grade. But I've always wanted to try Khorns, and feel that I still might get much of the performance even with less then ideal placement. Plus I could get rid of some currently non used gear. We'll see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

A back to back photo would be needed .... or someone who's familiar with (or a fan) of the Hegel lineup to see any difference in my set up........ but,

Switched out the H90 for the H190
    Dramatic! ..... it's like someone came into my room and upgraded my speakers - by a lot.

Very pleased....

[​IMG]

10. je245

je245 Forum Resident

My man cave of mostly DIY + classic hifi.:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dred, Jay hartman, doggod and 102 others like this.
  11. Chris81

Chris81 Forum Resident

@je245: WoW that looks great. What speakers do we see?

je245 likes this.
  12. je245

je245 Forum Resident

Thanks!

It's an homage to the Western Electric 753C monitor which I christened Altec 753C since I used Altec components - 414A woofer + 32C horn + 802D compression driver. The cabinet was built by a friend.

13. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Nice Van Der Rohe and Le Corbusier chairs/sofas :righton:.
    Love the TT's stacked on top of your vinyl shelves, reminds me of my 'back up TTs' stacked in one of my rooms :winkgrin:.

jonwoody and je245 like this.
  14. je245

je245 Forum Resident

Thank you!

15. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Wow - very nice. I also enjoyed playing "Where's Gumby?" :)

16. je245

je245 Forum Resident

Thanks!:laugh:

17. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

This speaks to me. Killer stuff, as always.

Long Live Analog, jonwoody and je245 like this.
  18. Chris81

Chris81 Forum Resident

@je245 This speaker looks (and I bet it sounds too) fantastic.

je245 likes this.
  19. maycontainmultitudes

maycontainmultitudes Audiophail

#goals

james, jonwoody and je245 like this.
  20. je245

je245 Forum Resident

Thanks for the kind words!

21. je245

je245 Forum Resident

I started the project in the late 90s and it took almost 10 years to get the proper horn. I'm happy now!

Chris81 likes this.
  22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

OUTSTANDING!

23. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

My SOL (Significant Other Loudspeaker) is mournfully hiding in a corner since there is a new girl in town

[​IMG]

Even if "girl" is a broad definition, since we are talking of a 40 year old Cornwall

[​IMG]

Is the room large enough for both? Will one stay and the other go? Which one? Who knows.....

bubbleace, barfko, Dax_Frost and 33 others like this.
  24. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Outstanding effort! Room/gear looks great. I could easily spend many hours in that room, as I’m sure you do!

25. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I will be interested to hear your comparisons! On paper, the strengths and weaknesses of these two pairs couldn't be any more diametrically opposed.

avanti1960 and Jimi Floyd like this.