Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Sonics on that album are bitchin (apart from the horrible sin of turning Jason down so far).

aunitedlemon likes this.
  2. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

My copy is a reissue that gives Jason a bit more justice. And Jason For All!

3. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Never thought this thread would inspire buying a light projector for my living room but here we are. Move over lava lamp, here comes the aurora borealis lights.

mike catucci, wgb113, Kyhl and 18 others like this.
  4. je245

je245 Forum Resident

Thank you for your kind words!

Like you I don't judge the sound of components on you tube for similar reasons. I enjoy the videos mainly for the visual aspect.

I heard a WE753A (phenolic 'fram on driver + tiny horn super tweeter) and a stereo pair of 753Cs (WE713A driver) back in the late 90s. I also heard a single WE757A. They were unforgettable because they didn't sound like they were built in the mid 40s, very vivid especially in the midrange. There was no also no horn glare or honk unlike the pair of early sand casted 811s I owned then. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford them even then :cry:. Could the boxiness you heard have been due to cabinet condition i.e. delaminated plywood?

I built my own crossover and it's very simple since the Altec 414A woofer is running in wide range mode. I just added a high pass filter + attenuating resistors to match the horn/driver to the woofer and a mild EQ for the 32C/802D horn/driver. More info about how my Altec 2-way speaker project evolved to the Altec 753C homage.

I wish I can compare my Altec homage to the original Western Electric.:)

baja, Ampexed, Tim 2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Yes WE drivers are incredibly expensive as are most of the better reproductions. That said love your Altec Journey and your website very much as an Audio Note AN-J owner I'm enjoying your breakdown of the Snell JIII very much even if you're just using it to prove how good your Altecs are. ;)

je245 and Tim 2 like this.
  6. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

As an ex-Altec engineer while they were still in Anaheim, CA, I enjoyed looking at your project page. :D

7. Charles Hidalgo

Charles Hidalgo Tubes, Horns, tape, analog!

Then he said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And he saw that the light was good.

Not anything to do with sound but I have completed a twenty three year search for some appropriate lamps for this room. Finding lamps tall enough, in pairs, and that are all original at give or take 70 years old has been a task. They are out there but seem to always be out of my comfortable spending range or gone on two seconds. These sat in the same home in the same spot since the day the sellers mother brought them home. They are in their new forever home now.

[​IMG]

8. baja

baja Forum Resident

Thanks for your explanation and the links ... didn't know your site ... good experience. Thank you.

je245 likes this.
  9. je245

je245 Forum Resident

Thanks! It's merely my perspective as a long time DIYer and meant no offense to other audiophiles. You've probably been exposed to WE equipment at Deja Vu. I lived in the DC area in the mid 90s and used to see/chat with Vu at hamfests and radio shows.

jonwoody likes this.
  10. je245

je245 Forum Resident

The Anaheim era was the glory days of Altec, I feel very honored. Thank you!

Jimi Floyd, jonwoody and Ampexed like this.
  11. je245

je245 Forum Resident

Thanks! It was nice to have had an exchange of ideas. Happy listening!

12. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Looks great! Are you running analog or digital bulbs in those bad boys?

13. jonwoody

Yes actually Vu is my dealer and I love his shop I run a Deja Vu preamp and amp though my amp is currently there being repaired. And listened to WE gear there and at CAF yes.

timind and je245 like this.
  14. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

Get with the program. Audiophiles spend more on copper wire than it would cost to buy 40 pounds of silver. You obviously don't have the skills(*) to make cabinets for audiophiles.

*=marketing chutzpah

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  15. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

I've posted this photo of the Altec Lansing facility in Anaheim before, but here it is again. Disneyland is in the background; they used the Altec 'green line' amplifiers exclusively in those days. They also used them in the parade floats because they could run on 28VDC from batteries.

[​IMG]

16. je245

je245 Forum Resident

I saw Vu at CAF 2016 and he was with Aldo D'Urso of Audio Anthology. They had a nice sounding demo!

jonwoody likes this.
  17. je245

je245 Forum Resident

Does the original complex still exist and repurposed or bulldozed and built over?

18. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

It was a factory for a video related manufacturer for quite awhile, but Disney bought the property a few years ago with the intention of making it into a parking complex for Disneyland. They razed the entire factory but as far as I know didn't construct the mega-parking complex they originally envisioned because of protests from local businesses. I think ultimately the property became a conventional parking lot. You can poke around on Google maps for 1515 So Manchester Ave, Anaheim, CA and see some past photos of the area.

I worked there from 1978 until the early 80s, at which point they folded. I still consider working there the best job I've ever had. The factory built most every component with the exception of metal castings and Alnico magnets. They had a machine shop, a sheet metal shop, a paint shop, electronics manufacturing line, multiple speaker driver lines, and a large transformer manufacturing area (Peerless). It was great while it lasted.

rockness87, OC Zed, Dan C and 14 others like this.
  19. je245

je245 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your cherished memories at Altec!

20. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Which one did you go for? Is there a good, better, best thing for these guys … or is it pretty much a crap shoot at this point?

21. jonwoody

Chula Vista! I saw Phish there in 1999 very fun time!

timind, Bananas&blow and beowulf like this.
  22. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

It seems like I seldom post pictures of this little corner of my room. Here’s one where I’m spinning a non audiophile record…
    [​IMG]

23. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Little blue dune buggy… in my hand…

Great shot of a hidden component in a beautiful system.

timind, okc_craft and jonwoody like this.
  24. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Last show I saw in San Diego area was Morrissey. But you reminded me I need to change my location as we’ve left California and now living in the forests of Prescott, AZ

jonwoody likes this.
  25. moops

moops Senior Member

What are these lights actually called ?