Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

This is my newly configured, super-simple living room setup. Following up on a suggestion from @rodentdog , I acquired a Bluesound Node 2, which is feeding the aux inputs on the Fisher 500B. It is a massive huge hit with Mrs. Subagent. She has discovered Radio Paradise, and even downloaded their app on her phone. My work here is done. The rest of the room is in disarray, as we just finished a minor remodel. I'm waiting on a couple of new chairs-- otherwise I would share a pic of the listening position.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

That's a beautiful and smart system!!

3. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

@Subagent I love my Fisher 500c they are vintage with a very simple look and fantastic sound. Well done! :righton:

4. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

That's a lovely elegant table.

5. Subagent

Thank you. There was a man here in Virginia who made them in all sizes and shapes. He closed up shop a few years ago, unfortunately.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Enjoy the music!!!

7. Subagent

:righton:

8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

That’s exactly what it’s all about! Beautiful.

9. Subagent

Thanks!

Manimal likes this.
  10. Subagent

Thanks! The 4, 5, and 8 series stuff was just so...hip! Looks cool, sounds cool-- can't go wrong!

11. Subagent

Thank you very much! Particularly for the "smart" part. I tell the folks at the office that I don't hear that nearly enough! :winkgrin:

12. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

That's a sweet spot for 3x2...lot of stuff in there and organized well....love it!

Almost Simon likes this.
  13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] Me and the bro just installed his Bronze ( from red..he’s in boys). Sounds great!

14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Newspaper vending machine. I like it! Quite the artifact from the 20th century. It needs a pay phone on the wall next to it.

drum_cas, trd, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  15. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

With Thick as a Brick in it! Nice!

bluesaddict, PhilBiker and Manimal like this.
  16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] He’s doing ok with this. Four speakers the same, pioneer CS901. Quad with cartridge. He like vintage and wanted quad. He doesn’t care about the quad thing. He loves loves loves it. Enough to buy a bronze which pleasantly suprised me. Sounds dang good man:)

17. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

A Marantz guy..... nice. That mic looks familiar.

PhilBiker and Manimal like this.
  18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Kinda hard to see here but I cut some wood 6" x 6" and use it as alphabet dividers with the added benefit of supporting the shelf above it:

[​IMG]

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Painting a room black is always a bold move, but you've made it work beautifully.

20. action pact

I reconfigured my system.

Since acquiring the Spendor SP3/1R1's, the subwoofer I have was not really adding anything, so it has been stored away in the basement. I also decided to go with a 2 x 2 rack arrangement vs. the tall 5 x 1 rack configuration. This lowers the height of the rack behind the speakers, looks less overpowering in my small room, and allows me to set up a second turntable.

Speaking of which, the BIC 960 on the right will be replaced with one of the two 1958-59 Rek-O-Kut B-12-GH's that I am presently fixing up. It will be installed in a stacked plywood plinth, and probably mated with either a Grado Laboratory wood series arm or an ESL/Ortofon S-1000 arm.

[​IMG]

SonOFJames, Kyhl, 56GoldTop and 33 others like this.
  21. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Thanks! That wall used to be bright green - it matched the Debut Carbon I had at the time. I painted the front wall and ceiling a very dark gray to help hide the superchunk and soffit bass trappings.

Obviously it's a dedicated room - gave the wifey free reign on the rest of the house in a trade for the smallest one.

SirMarc and action pact like this.
  22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Whoah - nice Spendors! You were rocking LS50s and then Dentons weren't you? How do the Spendors compare? I've never had the chance to hear a pair.

23. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Clever idea!

24. action pact

Yessir, thank you for paying attention.

As you know, the LS50s are damned fine and worthy of the accolades, but I had two issues with them: a.) I couldn't live with their appearance, too '21st century' for my taste, which is firmly rooted in MCM/Scandinavian Modern; b.) in my small room, I found the metal drivers a bit fatiguing. The LS50's really need some room to breath, preferably off-axis. I heard some a few months ago playing background jazz in a dealer's medium-sized showroom, and they were absolutely captivating; I just don't have the right environment for them (IMO).

The Dentons, despite being very affordable (I paid $399 brand new), are quite excellent, both in appearance and in performance. They worked beautifully with my vintage Fisher tubes (off the 4 ohm taps), and have a wonderfully fulsome, smooth, satisfying tonality, just enough detail, and excellent imaging. Definitely one of the few real bargains in hifi.

I recently came into some $$, and decided to go after my dream speakers, a pair of Spendor Classics, which I was able to get at a substantial discount by ordering a like-new demo pair of SP3/1R2's from a UK dealer (Analogue Seduction). The Spendors do everything that I loved about the Dentons, but do it better. These are really lovely speakers, engrossing and easy to listen to for hours and hours. They pair beautifully with the Fisher tubes too.

I still have the Dentons, and they are now being enjoyed in the bedroom system with an older Rega Brio-R.

Carter DeVries, Moko, layman and 5 others like this.
  25. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

I’d add some more support under the bottom two shelves. Otherwise they’ll all sag in time.

Nice collection by the way.

mreeter likes this.