Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Hate to be a downer but a lot of the past pics are not going to be visible.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Posted these pics in the Kef Reference 1 thread, but thought I would share here. This is my attic set-up after a lot of system upgrades (system details in my profile). Room is a little over 14' x 16' plus two 5'-6' deep alcoves on the sides and an opening behind and to the right of the listening position to a tall stairwell (which makes for some interesting sound effects). Ceiling is maybe 7.5'. Probably not a perfect room but it is by far the best sounding space in our house.

I also have a nice system on the first floor, but it is in a pretty bright room with hardwood floors on joists, bare walls, tall ceilings, etc. (our house is over 100 years old). That is where I listen for fun, while upstairs is for critical listening. I'm also working on a small office system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

crazy nice speakers

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

(Cue the drums) Hamm's, the beer refreshing. Hamm's, the beer refreshing.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

@SweetTea you will apreciate this!

Manimal, PhilBiker and SweetTea like this.
  6. Ben Toby

Ben Toby Forum Resident

Beautiful! Awesome that you and your wife enjoy music together. What a great thing that is. Love the wall colors too!

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I don't know if it's because of the current trend but my wife is pretty happy with vinyl as well. Of course, she does like the 400CD changer with all our Christmas CDs always on hand, also...

displayname, Jim0830 and bluesaddict like this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My daughter went off to college this past August, and she has given me her blessings to convert her 11' x 14' bedroom into my new listening space. Even though the numbers don't sound that much bigger, this is a significant upgrade over the cramped 8' x 12' office downstairs I've been using for the past 13 years! In the old room, I felt like I was in a box, but there's actually room to walk around in the new room.

I spent some time playing with speaker positioning on Sunday. I started with the Cardas calculator, and that put the speakers 5' out into the room, which is nearly halfway! Pushing them back a foot, my Spendor SP3/1R2's sounded rather thin and what bass was there sounded kind of loose and undefined. I pushed them back further, maybe 2.5' from the front wall, and that sounded very good. Much fuller, tighter and dynamic, with little loss of imaging depth. They are also about 3' from the side walls, with OC703 panels at the first reflection point.

There is still a lot of work to be done in here. Before I can fully move in, I need to repaint the walls, which are presently a pale blue color. I'm nut sure what color to go with, so suggestions would be appreciated. I want this room to have a relaxing atmosphere, so a warm color is what I'm leaning towards. The Ikea shelves are the dark brown/black wood color, the speakers have a cherry finish, and the turntables have walnut plinths. (The one in the middle is a 1958 Rek-O-Kut B-12-GH with a walnut Grado tonearm, currently a work in progress.) The fabric on the OC703 panels is a maroon color.

Grey walls would look good, but I think it would be too cool a color. Should I go with a shade of cream/beige/tan or...?

Here's a current view:

[​IMG]

barfko, Delta17, arar and 42 others like this.
  9. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I have a stack of Christmas CDs out right now but the worst thing about having no turntable is all those old classic Christmas vinyls gathering dust. We have had more fun playing those cheesy old holiday albums from the 60s the last several years. :(

Delta17 and PhilBiker like this.
  10. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

@action pact - looks like a good start - but where is she going to sleep over the holiday break??

I'd vote for a light beige or gray - almost white. You've got nice looking floors/speakers/plinths so I wouldn't want the paint to detract from that. A light, neutral color will allow them to shine.

action pact likes this.
  11. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Maybe predominantly gray, but with a terracotta/red clay color accent wall?

action pact likes this.
  12. action pact

That's not a bad idea...

13. action pact

Well, there's an 8' x 12' room downstairs not being used... :D

Excellent points!

displayname likes this.
  14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I would go for a darker colour, dark grey that has a slight blue-ish hint, as I find that a colour that would go very well with the colour of your woodflooring (and speakers). It will also create a more intimate atmosphere (as opposed to a light colour) which i would prefer for a listening room.

action pact likes this.
  15. action pact

Like this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  16. action pact

I'm kind of leaning towards something like this:

[​IMG]

JUCO, Chris81, 16hz lover and 31 others like this.
  17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

bluemooze and PhilBiker like this.
  18. action pact

bever70 and mktracy like this.
  19. Not all grays have to feel cool. Plus some warm accent colours can help out. We used Benjamin Moore GrayOwl OC-52.
    Whatever colour you choose, enjoy the new space. You have a great looking setup and I’m sure it sounds fantastic!

action pact likes this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Looking good man! I would kill for a cave of that quality:)

rocnred likes this.
  21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I like the accent light on the turntable. I saw a Pioneer lamp on EBay for 30 bucks the other night and I thought “pioneer lamp?”
    It’s a box you put above the turntable positioned like yours for a turntable light.[​IMG] Heck I may get one just for the heck of it.

wownflutter, bluemooze, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  22. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Thanks.

I didn't have to kill. I did it the slow, boring way; save, invest wisely, work hard, have only one child who didn't need to go to college on my dime, etc.

PhilBiker, bever70 and Manimal like this.
  23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I have the work hard part but save and invest I’m gonna have to look up:)

24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Very tasteful use of space. Love all of it.

spartree and PhilBiker like this.
  25. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

that thing is very cool

Manimal likes this.