Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I will give more than fleeting approval, looks fantastic! :righton:

Delta17 and Orthogonian Blues like this.
  2. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Well thank you sir, you have made my day! It sounds alright too.

Looking at the pictures again - man, I wish I'd dusted my amps beforehand!

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the TEAC DAB/FM radio - not top of the line, but good enough for the amount of radio I listen to (not much).

And I have Cord C Line interconnects between the power amp and the cd player and phono stage.

Dan Steele likes this.
  3. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

Here is my modest system!
    Thorens TD160 Mk2 (internally damped, MDF base)
    Schopper TP-63 armwand
    Shure M97xE with LP Gear ViVid Line stylus
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp
    Emotiva Mini-X A-100 (80wpc @ 4ohms)
    ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 speakers
    Blue Jeans LC-1 Interconnects
    Blue Jeans BJC Ten White speaker cables
    Pangea Audio Vulcan TT rack

[​IMG]

4. mongo

mongo Senior Member

It would be nice to have a pic or 2 of the entire system\room.
    You have a very handsome system.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Manimal and freesole like this.
  5. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Thank you. Here is one more pic that I have on my drive (with my Denon turntable). I can post more tomorrow.

[​IMG]

JUCO, LH5, eis01 and 47 others like this.
  6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Well that party was short lived. My vintage Yamaha integrated futzed out yesterday in the right channel. It's the same aggressive hiss and crackle issue I had about 5 years ago in the same channel. I got it repaired at a sketch place in the Denver 'burbs that charged waaay too much, and from the start I realized I'd been had.

I have an extra mediocre Onkyo HT receiver that could work as a temporary replacement, but now I've gotta decide if it's worth attempting to get the Yammy restored (and finding a guy who will actually do it right) or if I should just start saving for a new unit. I have basically my dream speakers and turntable, I'd really hate to plug them into some $150 POS.

Not a good way to start the New Year, especially after some big purchases and a plan to pay off debt.

Bummer. :realmad:

dan c

7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Damn, sorry man, I feel your pain. I've been a vintange guy for years now, and love the way my Sansui 9090 looks and sounds, but I'm tired of the upkeep and lack of remote, not to mention my crazy brain always wondering if something is off or out of spec due to age.

So to put my mind at ease, and get a huge upgrade to the digital side of my system, I decided to get a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Dac pre amp and S300 amp. Long story short, the Gain Cell Dac came in bad out of the box, and they have no units to send out to me or parts to fix the one I sent back.
    So much for peace of mind with new gear...

Manimal and Dan C like this.
  8. Who did you see in Denver? If that’s where you are still located I can recommend a guy. He fixed up my PM650 very nicely

trd and Dan C like this.
  9. wallenbink

wallenbink Forum Resident

No, unfortunately I'm not that handy, rack was ready made

10. wallenbink

wallenbink Forum Resident

Yeah, it's pretty solid. I had an ikea rack once but it didn't fare well after a move, this one may well break my back if it ever needs moving

bever70 likes this.
  11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It was a smarmy vac and electronics repair place in Littleton, I can’t recall the name.

A friend told me there’s a guy on Broadway who does great work. Who do you use?

I’m on the fence now on whether to get it restored or save up for something new. It’s a terrific, lovely and robust piece of gear, but pushing 40-years old makes for challenges.

I have the Onkyo set up now and it actually sounds fine, and I’m fact it’s an improvement because that right channel was indeed acting up for some time. I can hear the difference now with a different component.

The Onkyo can’t be permanent though. It was designed for HT and mostly has HDMI inputs and only two analog inputs. I’m using a U-Turn phono pre I bought last year for another purpose. Obviously two channel is an afterthought so I’m not getting everything I can from my other components.

But on the up side it all sounds good as a whole and at least I’ve got options. Also, I don’t think I wanna go back to life without a volume remote...:eek:

dan c

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I would want the dac replaced not repaired! Ugh! I would not be happy man. Bummer.

SirMarc likes this.
  13. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

FWIW, I'm also curious about who you'd recommend.

14. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

I've been reading on this forum for a few years but joined as a member this past weekend. And just today remembered that I own 26 CD's and 37 LP's (41 if you count 4 double LP's) mastered by Steve Hoffman on the DCC label. So here is what these recordings get played on. And I credit my listening room and open space around the speakers as having a positive effect on this system's sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M. M.

Dred, JUCO, barfko and 70 others like this.
  15. I used a gentleman by the name of Dr. Dan, who is also down in Littleton. Good pricing and did nice work. I would certainly use him again.

A google search for Dr Dans Vintage Audio Repair can turn up his contact info.

I have also heard good things about the Sound Doctor up in Loveland, but have never used him.

bluesaddict, Dan C and heathen like this.
  16. Bon Scott

Bon Scott Well-Known Member

I used Dr. Dan once for a simple amp repair and liked him very much. He has a shop in his garage and no website; you have to call. I'd go back to him.

Greenmonster2420 and Dan C like this.
  17. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I used Dr. Dan once but the issue I brought to him didn't get fully resolved. To his defense, I didn't bring the unit back to him but replaced it instead.

18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Wow, these Yelp reviews make this guy sound like the real deal!
    Dr. Dan’s Vintage Audio Repair - Littleton, CO

A few reviews mention having their vintage consoles restored. I have a lovely 60s-era Zenith we use regularly upstairs to stream music through with a Bluetooth receiver. The turntable is unusable and it makes some crackling nose when powering up, so I'd sure love to get a complete restoration done. Thanks for the tip!

Still on the fence on whether to restore or replace my Yamaha though. I have some time to think about it though, not something I'll be able to do for at least several months.

dan c

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  19. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Love that photo of U2! At first glance I thought it was Joy Division.

JeffMo and sennj like this.
  20. james

james Summon The Queen

bet it sounds great. i dig the look of that Adcom pre faceplate

blowinblue, trd and thxphotog like this.
  21. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Sound Doctor in Loveland did my '64 Fisher 500c, Martinez 2240 and 2265. Very good work at a good price. He lives down the road from me to boot.

22. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I absolutely love your audio stand, the components, and speakers, and particularly like how neatly you have arranged everything and taken such care in the wiring, everything is so nicely installed, it looks GREAT, thanks for sharing. I would like to offer a suggestion that will put your system OVER THE TOP in regard to music reproduction, your next step, so to speak. It's tough to tell exactly what Vandersteen speakers you have, as they look so similar, but I owned the 3A Signatures for many years, and a quick add to your system will transform the sound! I am suggesting you add not one, but two SVS subs, one for each channel, in each corner of your room, I believe the SVS SB-1000's would be PERFECT for your size system, and if you purchased the Steinway polished black enclosures, your system would take a HUGE leap, I promise! Great system, happy listening, and thanks so much for posting. :righton:

23. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Just a couple minor changes, but they add up. Installed recessed lighting in my room today, something I've been putting off for a year and all it took was an hour. But now i can go back to using the stinkin' dimmer switch and got rid of three lamps/work lights I was using around the room. And getting those out has noticeably reduced a little hum I'd noticed the last few days. So that's awesome. But it also frees up space and, well, I need more music storage space. So I'm quite happy. Also remade my speaker cables to be shorter and dressed up an interconnect, but you can't really see that in this pic.

[​IMG]

24. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Atmosphere is everything when listening.

25. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

This system must sing. I'm a big fan of the Daedalus.

Day_Tripper2019 likes this.