Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident

How do you like that Pac NW box?

2. Some is fantastic some is ok. But overall this is my last favorite Dead period. I saw them a lot from 69-75 in San Francisco. And only a few times after that.

Echoes Myron, trd and Joe Spivey like this.
  3. very nice

4. action pact

action pact Forum Resident

Man, I can sure relate to that!

As many of you know, I’ve either had a Fisher 400 or, more recently, a Fisher X-100 (14wpc) in my main system for a number of years, and my current speakers are Spendor SP3/1R2’s. I recently moved my hifi from an 8’ x 12’ room downstairs to a larger bedroom upstairs, and was dismayed to find that my system now sounded thin and anemic, with light/flabby bass and lean mids. I thought that these nice speakers were too small for the space or something, and it was very upsetting.

On a whim, I swapped in my Rega Brio-R, 50 watts of solid state power, and was stunned by how spectacular it sounded with the Spendors... it was punchy and composed, with real bass extension, and wonderful tonal accuracy. Now, I always liked the Rega, but in my smaller room it sometimes sounded too "thick." In the new room, it sounds absolutely gorgeous.

I was immediately forced to throw out all of my preconceptions about tubes vs. solid state. It's clear to me now that the Fisher may have been fine with the Spendors in a tiny room, where it was able to get some reinforcement from the room itself, but in a more open space it quickly ran out of gas.

Circling back to your main point, switching to solid state does indeed remove the anxiety of caring for tubes, and it certainly is more convenient! Sure, I'll miss the euphoric presentation of tubes, but the Rega Brio-R brings its own thing to the party, so I don't feel like it's a major compromise.

And I still have the Fisher X-100, and plan to set it up with my Wharfedale Dentons in a smaller room. Win-win!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 District Champ

You really should try some horn loaded efficient speakers if you get a chance. Even just a a $400 pair of used heresy.

6. action pact

action pact Forum Resident

Years ago, I had a pair of Heresy II's, they were my first "good" speakers, but my ears weren't as discerning in those days, so I have no idea if I'd like them now.

I've also been curious about the folded-horn kits sold by Madisound.

One of the most glorious things I ever heard was a Fisher 400 powering a pair of Cornwalls at a guy's house. Someday, if I ever get a large enough space, I'd like to revisit that set-up!

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 District Champ

Yes, they may not be perfect but 100db sensitive really lets you know what your amp sounds like.

tmsorosk and action pact like this.
  8. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Small update to the music room, swapped out my bookshelf Wharfedale Diamond 225s for floorstanding Onkyo SKF-4800s. Happy with the additional low end and slightly better mids. Still not enough bottom end for my taste, but that might be a room problem not a speaker problem, so that'll be my next area of focus.

9. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Have you considered a subwoofer?

Kyhl, Clonesteak and PhilBiker like this.
  10. james

james Forum Resident

jealous

i love that weird, avant garde, Phil heavy 26 minute Truckin

11. AlanDistro

I've tried two in the past, the last one being a 10" Polk Audio sub. But most of the time subs feel very uneven to me. Certain frequencies sound full and smooth and amazing, other frequencies sound boxy or overbloated. I'm sure it's a combination of room and crossover points not working well together. So I'm really hoping to find a floorstanding speaker that delivers everything I'm looking for. What I really want is a floorstander that sounds like my Sennheiser HD650 headphones, just... in a room.

timind likes this.
  12. james

james Forum Resident

Joe Spivey and AlanDistro like this.
  13. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

If anything a sub (or better, two) will give you a better chance of having good bass because they are more flexible in terms of placement. Your main speakers are going to be constrained by where you sit and what position gives you the best stereo imaging. What are the chances that those two exact locations are the best in the room for bass?

action pact and AlanDistro like this.
  14. hifisoup

hifisoup Forum Resident

I think it is wonderful what you are doing for your mother-in-law. That she has supportive family that obviously love her and that she can listen to music is fantastic. My parents are both in an assisted living facility and as good as they are it can never replace what you are providing. Kudos to you. God Bless you and your mother-in-law.

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You hit on a couple of interesting points here. With bass, it is all about room size. Too much bass in a smaller room will give you bloated bass. Too little bass in a larger room will also unbalance the system, resulting, as you found it you should being thin and lean sounding.

You hit upon another point. That being, the some speaker's sound good with solid state amplification. Oft times, running speaker's like there which were intended for modern, more powerful, SS amplification, might seem "flabby" when running with underpowered tube amplifier's like you Fisher integrated, as specially in a larger volume room.

Realize that is not just the tubes, but how much tube power you are using with the speaker's. Hook up a modern Rogue Cronus Magnum with 100-Watts of KT-120 power and your speaker's will sing.

But, one thing that I notice. If your speakers sound good with SS power, switching to a an equally powerful tube amplifier, often does not really bring that much to the party. So, why go to the trouble and expense of using tubes, when SS sound good?

"Circling back to your main point, switching to solid state does indeed remove the anxiety of caring for tubes, and it certainly is more convenient!"

I had a dozen tube amplifier's and I never used them on my modern tower speaker's, where I use only SS amps.

I use tube amps only on my Zu, Omen Definition's, and the vintage, highly sensitive horn loaded speaker's.

It is my general contention, that tube amps bring much more to highly sensitive speaker's than they do with speakers with average efficiency of around 90 dB for modern tower speaker's.

tmsorosk likes this.
  16. blowinblue

blowinblue Forum Resident

Thanks for the kind words. I try not to make too much out of assisting with her care, as tens of millions of people have done the same thing. My post was more about not having to sit in the hot seat to enjoy two channel audio, but in my situation the two topics are inexorably connected. Lol. Interestingly, the music that gets the strongest reaction out of her is that of her younger brother. All you Motown fans will appreciate this. Her brother is the now deceased Freddie Perren. A Google search turns up quite a bit of info on him. Even though she is in the advanced stages of the disease, hearing her brother's greatest hits makes a noticeable connection every time I play them. It will be a sad day when those songs no longer make her smile.

M. M.

myles, heyMo, timind and 4 others like this.
  17. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Unapologetic Music Ho

For good or bad, the ARC SP17 has arrived. From another thread, it was a down to the wire decision between this and a Parasound Halo P 6. The price difference was negligible. I'll let it sit for a while, then check the seating of the tubes and then away we go. I don't expect it to be as "tubey" as my Bottlehead FP III and not as "solid state" as my Kenwood Basic C1. We shall see.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, tmsorosk, jdsher and 22 others like this.
  18. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Favorite accessory is your Devo Energy Dome. Awesome:righton:
    Bring those speakers out into the room a bit. They have a rear port...Go ahead, you may be surprised...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. AlanDistro

Thanks! It's signed by Mark Mothersbaugh. And it looks alright on me...

[​IMG]

20. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

You sir, are a gentleman of exquisite taste! I saw them live in 1980. One of my favorite concerts.
    “Every man, woman and mutant on this planet shall know the truth about De-Evolution”

21. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

[​IMG]

Running out of space, so I added an old Ikea shelf atop a 2x4 Kallax. Not only did it raise the turntable to a better cueing height, it seems that having the top shelf (which is 12 inches longer than a Kallax) offset has damped or decoupled what little footfall vibrations there were.

The Okki Nokki, like Harry Potter, usually lives in a closet under the stairs, but it's also nice to have room to clean records here.

As always, apologies for my potato camera.

bluemooze, PhilBiker, james and 18 others like this.
  22. Gie663

Gie663 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update of the set :
    In the centre the new Lavardin IT integrated. A major (and probably ultimate) upgrade
    On the left : the white Myzic headphone amp

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Gorgeous.

pitro likes this.
  24. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Best music recommendation in the last 20 pages of this thread. Kudos.

timind and Carter DeVries like this.
  25. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Just put this beast of a transcription tonearm, the Sorane ZA12, on my 301. It’s magnificent with a Miyajima Infinity mono cartridge. [​IMG]