Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Some of you may have read my thread about my DIY turntable. Wife and I have been enjoying a bunch of old vinyl.

BUT, the turntable has been living on the dining room table and getting connected when I used it, and time was running out on that. About a month ago, wife gave me notice that come this Wednesday (three days from now), the dining room table needs to be clear for holding enormous amounts of baked goods for a special event.

So I started a wall-mount shelf that holds the turntable on top, and then has room for a shelf or two, and a forward-facing flip section on the bottom for album storage (albums in current rotation).

I got it mounted yesterday and the turntable is sitting on its new home. I still need to add the shelves and a couple of parts to make the album storage section, hopefully I can squeeze that in during the next week or so.

The unit is made from pin oak with walnut accents (top and French cleat so far).

I got the oak from a guy on Craigslist. When he was delivering it, I said, "hey, this isn't cherry [his ad specified cherry], it is pin oak. And there is a lot of insect damage. "

He didn't want to take it back, so I got it for next to nothing. I think the insects were long gone but to make sure, I froze the crap out of it.

The French cleat on the wall allows me to easily remove/replace the unit, should I wish to make changes.

Oh and I finally found a preamp (unpictured) I can live with, the Bellari PA550. It has a phono section, plus aux1 and aux2 (aux1 via RCA jacks on the back, aux2 via a 3.5mm jack on the front). Besides the volume knob, it also has adjustments for bass/treble. It came with a wall wart but I'm powering it with eight AA batteries (these things are super power efficient). With chokes on the incoming cables (including the battery cable) the thing is quiet, super quiet. And it has lots of gain. And the phono section sounds amazing, as good as any I've tried and I've borrowed some pretty nice stuff.

The only real con on it was the gold knobs. They looked sorta dumb and more importantly, the contrast was so low I couldn't see the indicator mark so I'd know where the gain was set (which is critically important when you've nearly eliminated background noise).

So I got some black knobs and swapped them out.

[​IMG]

(The blanket on the sofa is for the dog, he declined to be included in this photo.)

Manimal, thxphotog, nosliw and 25 others like this.
  2. Rupert

Rupert Active Member

How does one post an image without an URL? Can they be uploaded?

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

No you can't upload images to this forum, you'll need to use a photo hosting site such as postimage or imgur. By not hosting images here it saves on storage cost and bandwidth cost to help reduce the need for advertising here.

Dave, PhilBiker, trd and 4 others like this.
  4. Rupert

Rupert Active Member

Dang ... I get it though and it’s nice to not have ads and popups in the face.

I follow this thread for aesthetics ideas and my pics would have been the standard two speakers with components in a rack along with the three 20 amp dedicated power connectors and acoustic panels.

Good forum.

PhilBiker and M.R.Collins like this.
  5. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

This a really clever WAF hack. Black gear on a black rack in front of a black fireplace. The system is almost invisible.

6. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

My child proof system No.2
    I didn't post photos of system No.2 for a while.
    This system is situated in the central room of my house so it need to be protected from my daughter curiosity.
    Now i connected my old lovely Onkio TX 4500 MK2 and enjoying in vintage sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manimal, ayrehead, pitro and 54 others like this.
  7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Nice to see a clean, well put together system with what appears to be good cable management. Well done.

Dan C and PhilBiker like this.
  8. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thxphotog, Kyhl, Dan C and 17 others like this.
  9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

:laughup::tiphat:

Dan C, eddiel and displayname like this.
  10. Fahzz

Fahzz Well-Known Member

He meant child resistant...nothing is child proof!

11. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

My recent upgrades with a nearly new Salamander rack I scored on Craig's List for $145! Alongside my new Vandersteen 5As which where somewhat more expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took me FORVER to pick out a rack and I decided on this Salamander which I nearly bought on Amazon for $1000+ the same day I did a quick search on Craig's List to find someone local selling it for $145 dollar...dusty but in nearly new shape. Had to rent a $20 home Depot truck and bribe my neighbor with a bottle of $40 Scotch so in the end came out around $200.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Guys, I am at least 99% certain that is a photo of a child, not an actual child...

13. mongo

mongo Forum Resident

Whether or not you like or decide to buy Vandersteens, their upper-end models look cool.
    I've listened to Vandersteens since 1979, never owned them.
    Seriously auditioned the Quatros when I was in the speaker market.
    Image like nobody's business
    Very clean, attractive looking system ya got there, cyclistsb.
    Now about that TT. ;)

Dan C likes this.
  14. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

They look cooler with the grills off but my girlfriend doesn't like the look...what about the turntable?

15. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

Yesterday I installed my new AN TT2 turntable and various other bits (see system profile).

I’m very pleased with my system - its located in an upstairs small ‘music’ room and I listen through HD800s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek Please label the photos you post

One doesn’t need to sign up for an account or sign in or anything with imgur. Just go to the site and click “new post,” upload you photo and get the direct link. It couldn’t be easier.

Clonesteak likes this.
  17. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Ask him to rethink it. Every photo is better with a dog in it.

Micke Lindahl, Phil Thien and timind like this.
  18. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

Your Vandersteen speakers are some that I would certainly like to audition for awhile... You have a nice system to compliment them.

19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If you want full range music, these are some of the best bang for your buck on the used market. They are incredibly difficult to move and setup...be warned.

Phil Thien and Ezd like this.
  20. Turntable

Turntable Forum Resident

conrad-johnson GAT preamplifier. my reference for 8 years - others have come and gone - GAT has stayed the course - GATS2 upgrade awaits at some stage.
    One of the few preamps with full tape loop - enables easy insertion of eq into playback or pure direct sound - best of both worlds. drives ss or tube amps to their best

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan C, Dave, timind and 30 others like this.
  21. wownflutter

My photos always seem to look like crap when I post them on here.
    I took one tonight that I think turned out pretty well.
    [​IMG]

22. drumandguitar

drumandguitar Forum Resident

Nice. Love the artwork.

PhilBiker and SirMarc like this.
  23. wownflutter

Thanks! :)

24. Charles Hidalgo

Charles Hidalgo Forum Resident

Currently setup with a James Burgess 45/2A3 S.E.T. amplifier, easily interchangeable to Burgess Eiclone 6550 triode monoblocks. A James Burgess tube preamp/phono stage, PeachTree Audio 65SE (serving as DAC), Modified AT1240 TT with AT33EV cartridge and Cardas wiring straight to the Burgess phono stage. Media is also served up via an Otari MTR10-2, Teac 1040Sl, Akai 280D-SS and Akai X-150D Reel to Reel machines, a PC music server with over 25 terabytes of Hi-Rez files, and plenty of great vinyl selections. All playing through a pair of 105db efficient Klipschorn loudspeakers with an 18” Velodyne sub crossed over around 40Hz. Room is 24x20x8.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Will be treating the room in the coming weeks finally. I also have two more bucket list pieces of gear coming. A pair of GPA Altec 604H III speakers, custom crossovers and Stonehenge cabinets and some 300b Thorsten Loesch “Legacy” circuit inspired monoblocks to drive them.

Kyhl, Manimal, Dan C and 52 others like this.
  25. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Sorry, but you need to retake those shots, one of the curtain pleats wasn't straight!

Very nice room.

Weird as I'm now getting room envy :)