Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

I can't judge sound by looking at photographs...

2. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I will concede that every situation is different but I will go to my grave believing as a generalization that treated rooms sound better than untreated rooms.

VU Master and timind like this.
  3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

properly treated :)

thxphotog, timind and SirMarc like this.
  4. Charles Hidalgo

Charles Hidalgo Tubes, Horns, tape, analog!

The Altecs need a lot of "break in" and are have some of the stiffest woofers I have seen I wouldn't hesitate saying 3-400 hours "break in" to start at a good audio level with music that will work the woofers well. Woofers face to face out of phase type break in. With normal listening the woofers hardly move at all it seems but they are doing their job quite nicely. The cabinets also really need care in tuning also. Too much material one way or another can really help or hurt the sound tremendously.

5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Of course

6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

[​IMG]
    As you can see, I share my space with some doggies.

7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Me too.. and a cat to rule them all:)

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  8. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

typo?

Should that be to rule YOU all?

Manimal likes this.
  9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yup. My cat can kick both dogs butts! And the cat climbs all over my system at night. Got to close the dust cover and put something on top of the Mirages to keep her off there.

PhilBiker, timind and Manimal like this.
  10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Mine likes to make a trip along the back of the system through the cables I know because she knows it makes me cringe:)

11. It's a deep discussion, but I consider it far superior to TZ, at least the first season of TOL is of much greater depth with a more nuanced presentation of moral issues. Both shows had some top notch episodes but in general the aesthetic bar was higher for TOL, better screenplays (Joseph Stephano), directors (Gerd Oswald) and the impeccable cinematography of Conrad Hall. I consider the final episode of The Outer Limits first season, entitled "The Forms Of Things Unknown" to be one of the finest things that has ever aired on TV. Well worth checking out if you're a sci-fi fan.

12. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Nevertheless, very few systems with treated walls behind speakers.

13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

True but as others have mentioned sometimes options are limited. My first floor (B&W) system is in a big room with bare walls and hardwood floors. It can be a bright room and imaging is not the best. But my spouse wants the room that way. I normally listen at low volumes in the morning so it is still very enjoyable.

I am lucky, however, my atttic (KEF Reference) system is in an awesome room for sound. That is my critical listening space.

wgb113 likes this.
  14. Echoes Myron

My B&W system. As I mentioned, definitely not the best room for acoustics, but I get a lot of enjoyment from this setup. It is my early morning listening space. Very detailed.

More critical listening takes place upstairs.

Had to special order the SolidSteel rack in white, but it was very much worth the wait.

[​IMG]

The magic is in the tubes...

[​IMG]

15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Wow - very cool and nicely done.

heyMo and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I myself have some B&W’s (a pair of CM5’s) which I moved on from in the main room and then placed in the bedroom. I never tried them with tubes though. Do they truly make them sing, instead of analyze?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Yes, especially with a higher power tube amp. This system has a lot of grunt and can really crank with something like Jimi. But it also does that magic tube sound with stuff like synthesizer music.

B&W is definitely on the analytical side though. I love how detailed the 805 D3 are, but ultimately prefer the mellower tone of my KEFs. It is good to have options.

Crazysteve likes this.
  18. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I like weird stuff but I'm not the greatest Sci-Fi geek. However your glowing approval of the show has me intrigued enough to look into buying the series on disc. :shtiphat:

Tinnitus Andronicus likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

legalize it ............don't criticize it mon !

PhilBiker, jonwoody, Manimal and 2 others like this.
  20. Yeah, I'm not a sci-fi enthusiast in general either. At its best, The Outer Limits managed to pull together elements of science fiction, Gothic horror and psychological suspense with its own distinctive narrative signature. The show is most often remembered for its monsters, but the best shows are those where the creature (included to boost ratings) was sublimated to the greater thematic vision.

apesfan, mongo and AlmanacZinger like this.
  21. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Don't you know the difference between Bob Marley and Peter Tosh?

jonwoody, bever70 and Echo like this.
  22. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I wanted the white too, but I didnt want the wait.
    I wish I could have but when we moved i gave my other rack to my daughter.
    I think the white looks great.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The lack of observable movement means that they are doing their job quite well nicely.

I can crank up the A7's with bass heavy music and you can not even see the woofer move at all. But yet, the bass is heavy and strong.

You have to actually touch the cone to feel any vibration at all. You still don't feel "movement", only vibration.

Speakers make excellent distortion meters, the move cone movement you observe, the greater the distortion.

Charles Hidalgo likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't have a cat but I did have a housekeeper at the motel, who desperately wanted to always get back there and dust.

I had to keep telling her "no". The thought of it made me cringe also.

[​IMG]

25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

You my friend need lots of those cable riser "audiophile" things.

PhilBiker and SandAndGlass like this.